Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Obeying Flight Attendent Request to stand during take off

Obeying Flight Attendent Request to stand during take off

Old Feb 29, 16, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL,EK
I would never even consider not having my shoes on for takeoff and landing. I am surprised that anyone feels safe doing so.
Old Mar 1, 16, 5:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Wtravel View Post
Still leaves the question unanswered, i.e., is it a rule with EK, or was it just the FA applying "common sense"/her interpretation of stowing all loose items for take off and landing. Anyone know for sure?
AFAIK, there is no rule that states that one needs to have shoes on during take off or landing - shoes and other items need to be secured so that they are not blocking passages/ exits. Of course shoes are for your own safety and should assist during an emergency. Besides, you may need to take off your shoes if you have to use the emergency chute/slide - not sure what the latest standard op on this is.

Certain airlines do have in their conditions of carriage to disallow pax who are bare feet, but this is due to acceptable standards of courtesy/ politeness (odor, smell, sight of feet etc.) - one can easily overcome this by having a pair of socks on.
Old Mar 1, 16, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
Besides, you may need to take off your shoes if you have to use the emergency chute/slide - not sure what the latest standard op on this is.
Only if high heels or otherwise sharp, and therefore presents the risk of puncturing the slide.

I also think it's disingenuous to suggest that "the FA requested that I stand during take off" - it's a coincidence of timing that the aircraft started the take-off roll seemingly unexpectedly as soon as the OP stood to put his shoes on. No reasonable FA would have been standing up him/herself, let alone getting a passenger to stand up as well, if s/he was aware that the aircraft is about to start the take-off roll.
Old Mar 1, 16, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Don't wear high heels on a plane.

Shoes on and wind shades up while wheels down.
Old Mar 1, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Lucky_man View Post
I was comfortably sitting during Taxi for take of on QF8405 (emirates) last night. FA walking to her takeoff seat noted I had taken my shoes off. She told me shoes had to be on for take off and landing. I missed that in the briefing but now was not the time for argument. She said I had to put them on. They are mini hiking boots and I told her I would have to stand to put them on. She said yes I had to put them on. So there I was propping myself up trying to get a pair of hiking boots on when we swung around and went straight into the takeoff roll. It's quite some effort to get a pair of shoes on in this situation. I was in my seat well before rotation.

I spoke to the customer service manager afterwards. She said she would talk to the FA because there was no such rule. The issue was that my shoes were not secured and the FA could have just put them in the overhead.

Not to mention she could have just asked me to hold them.

So is there a point where obeying an FA is not a good idea?

I also asked why the seat belt sign had been on for 4 hours but they were still providing service and people getting up. She said she would find out. She came back and said it was fine to get around - they had just put it on because a lot of people in economy were getting up and about. NOt what I expect from a 1st world full service carrier.
Maybe, I'm the only one, but, I just can't represent the scene.

I assume that FA was already seated while the plane was rolling down the runway.
So, OP chose to follow her bizarre instructions even out of her sight ? I would have stopped as soon as the cockpit required FA to be seated for take-off (and probably before ...).

Let's say, OP is sitting in exit row facing this FA.
She would in fault not asking OP to be seated with seatbelt fastened.

For the record, once, FA stored my onboard slippers (soft ones) that I left on the floor before take-off ... (I had shoes on, as always)
Old Mar 1, 16, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP LTG,OW Emerald
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
As an experienced flyer, you notice easily that as long as FAs are doing service, and no "cabin crew take your seats" (or similar announcements) are to be heard, it's nothing to worry about.
Sorry - This is very different with our local carriers in Australia and - The seat belt sign is strictly enforced. Get up and with seat belt on and you are likely shouted down. The cabin crew also have to remain seated except for a few minutes in the prep for landing when ever the seat belt sign is on. It's an important warning not used for crowd control. The people in economy were getting up - not sitting without a belt on. They should be getting up to avoid DVT

And this is the biggest problem - inconsistency - its OK to get up with the seat belt sign on but not ok to have shoes in the shoe box during take off. Which rules break?
Old Mar 1, 16, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
If it's a rule, I'll follow it. Have never been told to put my shoes on, however. Also, there haven't been "plenty" of accidents where a fast evacuation was needed. Last year, there were seven accidents worldwide (that I can find) where evacuation speed would have made any difference (i.e. not including incidents like the Germanwings flight). That's out of something like 35 million flights worldwide.
This is a speedy evacaution that could have gone the "wrong" way very easily but thankfully did not even though there were obviously plenty of folk on board that didn't listen to the safety video or Cabin Crew. I believe there are also a few comments about footwear in the thread and the Las Vegas temp can get quite high during the day leading to a very hot tarmac.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-airport.html

Rule of thumb for me: Shoes, Passport, Wallet, Phone for that +3/-8.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 2, 16, 1:03 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Did you actually read the piece? Including the part where it discusses how mind-bogglingly unlikely it is for any of this to be relevant?
Good point! Next flight I will store all my luggage on the seat next to me, go in full recline, and have my tray table out playing on my computer, all before takeoff. Shouldn't be any problem since the chance of an emergency is so small and if there is an emergency I can snap my seat upright, put up my tray table, and stow my luggage under the seat probably quicker than you can put your shoes on.
Old Mar 2, 16, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Lucky_man View Post
Sorry - This is very different with our local carriers in Australia and - The seat belt sign is strictly enforced. Get up and with seat belt on and you are likely shouted down. The cabin crew also have to remain seated except for a few minutes in the prep for landing when ever the seat belt sign is on. It's an important warning not used for crowd control. The people in economy were getting up - not sitting without a belt on. They should be getting up to avoid DVT

And this is the biggest problem - inconsistency - its OK to get up with the seat belt sign on but not ok to have shoes in the shoe box during take off. Which rules break?
We are here in the Emirates forum, not in your local Australian Kangaroo airline one (Please don't take offense, I love Australia, but seriously your "Health & Safety" is over the line sometimes..)

And with EK - as well as with most international airlines from what I experienced - a "seat belt" sign during the flight when there is no noticeable shacking AND the cabin crew is doing regular service means you can still visit the toilet. Only when "cabin crew take your seats" is called over the PA I'll take that as "ok, we're going to have some turbulences ahead, I'll better wait for me toilet break"
Old Mar 2, 16, 5:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Saltire74 View Post
This is a speedy evacaution that could have gone the "wrong" way very easily but thankfully did not even though there were obviously plenty of folk on board that didn't listen to the safety video or Cabin Crew. I believe there are also a few comments about footwear in the thread and the Las Vegas temp can get quite high during the day leading to a very hot tarmac.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...s-airport.html

Rule of thumb for me: Shoes, Passport, Wallet, Phone for that +3/-8.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
I included that event in my "seven events." You are literally 9x as likely to be hit by lightning in a year than to be on a flight requiring an emergency evacuation. I don't go around with a grounded lightning rod strapped to my head either.
Old Mar 2, 16, 5:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by whimike View Post
Good point! Next flight I will store all my luggage on the seat next to me, go in full recline, and have my tray table out playing on my computer, all before takeoff. Shouldn't be any problem since the chance of an emergency is so small and if there is an emergency I can snap my seat upright, put up my tray table, and stow my luggage under the seat probably quicker than you can put your shoes on.
It won't be any problem. You could do that, 2x a day, every day for 24,000 years before, on average, you were in a situation where it mattered.

I follow airline safety regs, because it's the law, even though they completely fail any sane risk/reward testing and life valuation model. I certainly don't feel any need to engage in irrationally risk-averse behavior when I'm not required to do so.
Old Mar 2, 16, 11:05 am

It won't be any problem. You could do that, 2x a day, every day for 24,000 years before, on average, you were in a situation where it mattered.

I follow airline safety regs, because it's the law, even though they completely fail any sane risk/reward testing and life valuation model. I certainly don't feel any need to engage in irrationally risk-averse behavior when I'm not required to do so.
Although I do sympathise with the argument that it aviation extremely safe and accidents are relatively rare, one could say that the entire extreme risk-averse safety paradigms in commercial air travel are in fact one of the major causes of that safety record...

Also, the rules are there to bolster the confidence of the travelling public in the safety of aviation - without the travelling public, the economic case for global aviation starts to crumble quite rapidly, so it's in everyone's interest for the rules to be set and enforced as they are.

With regards to the situation at hand - it is entirely about making sure the evacuation time in the event of an emergency is below the 60-90 seconds required for a good chance of survival. Every few seconds count, and shoes flying around the cabin or people stopping to put on shoes is a problem (especially if you block other people from getting up).

I think the FA could have done better by taking the shoes and putting them in the overhead (as that is acceptable on EK) though, rather than waiting for the OP to put them on.
Old Mar 2, 16, 6:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

My point being that most requirements are there for the 1 in 1,000,000 chance of an emergency where it does matter.
Old Mar 2, 16, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF QP
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
We are here in the Emirates forum, not in your local Australian Kangaroo airline one (Please don't take offense, I love Australia, but seriously your "Health & Safety" is over the line sometimes..)
Getting a little off topic, but I think this is part of the problem. On non Australian airlines, passengers see people walking about the cabin and then tend to ignore the seat belt sign. I have even heard that some US airlines keep their seat belt sign on longer than necessary to keep the passengers out of the aisles to enable food service. I much prefer the rule that if the seat belt sign is on, it applies to all ( crew and passengers). It is then a consistent message, with no grey areas.
Old Mar 3, 16, 1:26 am

I don't go around with a grounded lightning rod strapped to my head either.
You'd be locked up, lose your job, be shunned by your friends etc if you did.

None of these would happen to someone who kept their shoes on as is being discussed. Maybe that's a reason for most people (including you) not doing it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: