Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Obeying Flight Attendent Request to stand during take off

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obeying Flight Attendent Request to stand during take off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:21 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
They should mind their own business. It should be up to me to determine if I can run across hot metal shards or not. It also gives me better cause to sue and to complain about the obviously nasty flight attendant here on FT.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by BJM
They should mind their own business. It should be up to me to determine if I can run across hot metal shards or not. It also gives me better cause to sue and to complain about the obviously nasty flight attendant here on FT.
If YOU can't get your *** out fast enough because you're lacking proper footwear and others are injured (or worse) because your inability to listen to SECURITY announcements, I hope other flyers (or the airline) will sue YOU.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:00 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If YOU can't get your *** out fast enough because you're lacking proper footwear and others are injured (or worse) because your inability to listen to SECURITY announcements, I hope other flyers (or the airline) will sue YOU.
Were you being sarcastic Yurop? Cause I certainly was.

Last edited by BJM; Feb 29, 2016 at 2:01 pm Reason: Speling error.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by BJM
Were you being sarcastic Yurop? Cause I certainly was.
I wasn't sure if you were, so I chose to answer in a tone that could be taken as sarcastic or not
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Even if it's not enforced, common sense tells you to wear your shoes during takeoff and landing. Regarding seat belt sign, again, common sense tells you that you should always wear it even if the sign isn't on. But since many people seem to be completely lacking common sense, the captain often keeps the sign on. As an experienced flyer, you notice easily that as long as FAs are doing service, and no "cabin crew take your seats" (or similar announcements) are to be heard, it's nothing to worry about.
Common sense is balancing risks to benefits. There's essentially zero incremental burden by buckling the seatbelt, while there are a detectable number of cases where it matters, and you get virtually no lead time. There's value to having your shoes off, and not having to fumble with them after takeoff - on the other hand, the likelihood that (a) you will actually need your shoes, and (b) you won't have a chance to grab them and put them on, is miniscule.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
There's value to having your shoes off, and not having to fumble with them after takeoff - on the other hand, the likelihood that (a) you will actually need your shoes, and (b) you won't have a chance to grab them and put them on, is miniscule.
Sorry, but that's just plain wrong.

If something goes wrong during take-off and landing, you won't have time to comfortably get back into your shoes. Most probably your shoes will have hit someone, or in the best case, have just slided off several rows.

And as we all know, most cases of aircraft accidents are during take-off and landing. And when things go wrong then - and let's just assume something minor - you want your footwear on your feet - not somewhere around in the cabin.

And there had been plenty of accidents in the past years where a fast evacuation was needed - and you're faster when you can run in your shoes, and not in your socks.

You might not like the security rules. But they're rules for one reason, and not mere guidelines. And if you think you're above the rules, I hope the FA makes it more than clear to follow them. Not for yourself, but for the safety of those around you.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold

If something goes wrong during take-off and landing, you won't have time to comfortably get back into your shoes. Most probably your shoes will have hit someone, or in the best case, have just slided off several rows.

And as we all know, most cases of aircraft accidents are during take-off and landing. And when things go wrong then - and let's just assume something minor - you want your footwear on your feet - not somewhere around in the cabin.

And there had been plenty of accidents in the past years where a fast evacuation was needed - and you're faster when you can run in your shoes, and not in your socks.

You might not like the security rules. But they're rules for one reason, and not mere guidelines. And if you think you're above the rules, I hope the FA makes it more than clear to follow them. Not for yourself, but for the safety of those around you.
Well said, I cannot imagine passengers fleeing the aircraft would appreciate tripping over your boots as they try to get out of the [insert verb here, for example: burning, sinking, smoking, etc.] aircraft. Holding the boots doesn't do much good either as in an emergency they'll likely fly out of your hands.

Wait until the flight is airborne to pop off that footwear (if you must...).
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:33 pm

If it's a rule, I'll follow it. Have never been told to put my shoes on, however. Also, there haven't been "plenty" of accidents where a fast evacuation was needed. Last year, there were seven accidents worldwide (that I can find) where evacuation speed would have made any difference (i.e. not including incidents like the Germanwings flight). That's out of something like 35 million flights worldwide.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: VA Gold, United Premier Gold, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by rayikes
Wait until the flight is airborne to pop off that footwear (if you must...).
Really, if we are being honest most people should refrain at all times unless they have had the courtesy to put on clean, nice socks. If I take my shoes off it is when the seatbelt light goes off and I put on nice clean socks...

but thats just IMHO
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
If it's a rule, I'll follow it. Have never been told to put my shoes on, however. Also, there haven't been "plenty" of accidents where a fast evacuation was needed. Last year, there were seven accidents worldwide (that I can find) where evacuation speed would have made any difference (i.e. not including incidents like the Germanwings flight). That's out of something like 35 million flights worldwide.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/0...ave-your-life/

Especially "Read the Safety Card and Listen to the Flight Attendants" and "Remember the Plus 3/Minus 8 Rule"

It doesn't matter how big/small the chance is. It matters that when s**t hits the fan, your shoes are better on your feet.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
1) Only those who have experienced a mob in panic know what it's like.
2) In danger situation, nobody is assured to keep his/her head cool enough to act calmly (grab passport, shoes, ...).
3) Even if you do, others won't.
4) Those who don't follow safety rules (or common sense) are the first ones to sue for lack of information.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:43 pm

Especially "Read the Safety Card and Listen to the Flight Attendants" and "Remember the Plus 3/Minus 8 Rule"

It doesn't matter how big/small the chance is. It matters that when s**t hits the fan, your shoes are better on your feet.
Did you actually read the piece? Including the part where it discusses how mind-bogglingly unlikely it is for any of this to be relevant?

It's not quite to the level of recommending that people wear Faraday cages in case they're hit by lightning on sunny days, but it's darn close.

Of course it matters how big/small the chance is. No sane risk/reward balancing can be done without understanding that factor.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Some good common sense and fact based information in the link above.

As to the Plus3/Minus8 :
In the aviation world, Plus 3/Minus 8 refers to the first three minutes after takeoff and the last eight minutes before landing. According to flight crash investigators, close to 80% of all plane crashes occur during this timeframe...
Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Still leaves the question unanswered, i.e., is it a rule with EK, or was it just the FA applying "common sense"/her interpretation of stowing all loose items for take off and landing. Anyone know for sure?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Wtravel
Still leaves the question unanswered, i.e., is it a rule with EK, or was it just the FA applying "common sense"/her interpretation of stowing all loose items for take off and landing. Anyone know for sure?
Original Post:
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
...I spoke to the customer service manager afterwards. She said she would talk to the FA because there was no such rule. ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.