Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Dubai First Class vs Business Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

So in a couple of weeks I will be travelling to SIN. On my return flight I have an 8+hour layover in Dubai (short enough that it doesn't qualify for Dubai Connect).

Am debating using points to upgrade my DXB to ORD flight to First using points and one of the main draws for me is that it will give me access to the first class lounge in Dubai (obviously personal suite etc is nice).

Is the First class lounge that MUCH nicer than the business class lounge? Was there last week and it felt like a cattle car full and bustling. Are the food offerings in the first class lounge noticeably better? Are the bathrooms and shower facilities (thinking about freshening up before the 14 hour flight to ORD)?

Would love to hear your opinions and guidance.

All the best!!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
So in a couple of weeks I will be travelling to SIN. On my return flight I have an 8+hour layover in Dubai (short enough that it doesn't qualify for Dubai Connect).

Am debating using points to upgrade my DXB to ORD flight to First using points and one of the main draws for me is that it will give me access to the first class lounge in Dubai (obviously personal suite etc is nice).

Is the First class lounge that MUCH nicer than the business class lounge? Was there last week and it felt like a cattle car full and bustling. Are the food offerings in the first class lounge noticeably better? Are the bathrooms and shower facilities (thinking about freshening up before the 14 hour flight to ORD)?

Would love to hear your opinions and guidance.

All the best!!
The A F lounge is similar to the A J Lounge. The B F lounge is noticeably nicer than the B J lounge. Food in the J lounge sucks. Not that the food in the F lounge is anything out of the ordinary but much better than the J lounge. Plus you get a-la-carte dining which is a nice personal touch.

IMO, I don't think it merits an upgrade to F just for sampling the F Lounge at DXB. However, if you haven't experienced EK F, provided there is upgrade availability on DXB-ORD, then it might make sense.

If you aren't able to upgrade your flight to F, and if by chance EK235 is departing from a B or C gate, see if you can get entry into the J lounge at A - you will have a much better experience.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:15 pm

I recently flew round trip F Class through DXB after several previous Business Class trips. Was excitedly looking forward to seeing what was hidden behind those F Class lounge doors.
- F Lounge has a formal sit down restaurant section with extensive menu selection. This is a big deal for some but for me I overeat on the plane or in the Dubai Connect hotel so another big meal opportunity isn't a big issue for me.
- F Lounges definitely less busy and less crowded. Staff walk around offering food/ drink service is desired.
- F Lounge in the B Concourse is less desirable than the A Concourse. Showers in B are small with no sink or toilet. No separate cigar lounge in B. Only a few boarding gates in B are directly accessible from the lounge.
- F Lounges buffets and liquor selection are more extensive and higher quality.
- Lots of shopping opportunities in F Lounges.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackiedada
The A F lounge is similar to the A J Lounge. The B F lounge is noticeably nicer than the B J lounge. Food in the J lounge sucks. Not that the food in the F lounge is anything out of the ordinary but much better than the J lounge. Plus you get a-la-carte dining which is a nice personal touch.

IMO, I don't think it merits an upgrade to F just for sampling the F Lounge at DXB. However, if you haven't experienced EK F, provided there is upgrade availability on DXB-ORD, then it might make sense.

If you aren't able to upgrade your flight to F, and if by chance EK235 is departing from a B or C gate, see if you can get entry into the J lounge at A - you will have a much better experience.
That's great advice and I will take you up on it if I don't get upgraded. Will they give me a hard time trying think access the business class lounge in another terminal?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:27 am

That's great advice and I will take you up on it if I don't get upgraded. Will they give me a hard time trying think access the business class lounge in another terminal?
Depends on the layover length - if it's short they may push you onto the lounge in the departure concourse as if you miss the flight the lounge receptionist who checked you in is going to get a Warning on their record, but if it's a decent amount of time, it's no problem.

FWIW the food in the F lounge from the a la carte dining is the best food provided by EK across the entire network, ground or air, imho - it is of a very good standard, freshly prepared with good presentation. At quieter times, I have gone off-menu as well, but YMMV (I think I am now notorious at this point...)

The wines are old F stock - so sometimes better than on board (this month you've got the remaining Cos D'Estournel 2004), that was in F a while back, but Champagne and Whites are average.

I think B is superior to A in terms of lounge atmosphere, and F&B (as they have the sushi chef at B and imho a more intimate dining area if you get the sofas), but hard product (i.e. showers) are much better at A. C gates has a restricted a la carte dining selection but the same buffet types. Whilst A has the better spa facility, it's tediously situated outside the main lounge which can be a walk.

There is a relatively limited duty free selection in A (no miniature perfumes, no snacks, only cigarettes, cigars, more premium alcohols and err, Vertu) if that is of interest. Both have shoe shine.

For an 8 hour layover, I'd visit Dubai (visa issues notwithstanding).
Old Feb 24, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by eternaltransit

For an 8 hour layover, I'd visit Dubai (visa issues notwithstanding).
the flight to ORD leaves at 9.45 so OP is 1-9am in Dubai, not really interesting IMO
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
No problem at all, I only go to the Concourse A J Lounge, and have even been there when the lounge attendant advised I should leave for my flight in 30 minutes as it was boarding in B. A -> B is about 10 minutes, 15 if you're at the far end of B.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the decision to upgrade to first from business should really only be based on experiencing first rather than the lounge differential. Which makes sense. Since it will be my last long haul travel for awhile (global work project nearing completion) I just might do it. EK miles don't transfer well and they don't fly domestic much which is where most of my travel will be this coming year. I will be heading to Argentina for my last global flight but don't know about EKs routes that way.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:14 am

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the decision to upgrade to first from business should really only be based on experiencing first rather than the lounge differential. Which makes sense. Since it will be my last long haul travel for awhile (global work project nearing completion) I just might do it. EK miles don't transfer well and they don't fly domestic much which is where most of my travel will be this coming year. I will be heading to Argentina for my last global flight but don't know about EKs routes that way.
DXB-ORD is a great route to experience F IMHO, I'd say go for it if you don't have a better use for the miles.

Keep in mind you can use EK miles for JetBlue domestic in US.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
DXB-ORD is a great route to experience F IMHO, I'd say go for it if you don't have a better use for the miles.

Keep in mind you can use EK miles for JetBlue domestic in US.
True forgot about jetblue, my budget carrier for personal travel is usually southwest.

Yes will use the miles for DXB to ORD, am unfamiliar with JetBlue, my upgrade cost to first one way is about 70K in pts, what would that translate into for JetBlue domestic travel?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:26 am

True forgot about jetblue, my budget carrier for personal travel is usually southwest.

Yes will use the miles for DXB to ORD, am unfamiliar with JetBlue, my upgrade cost to first one way is about 70K in pts, what would that translate into for JetBlue domestic travel?
depends where you go, 5-7 one-ways: http://www.emirates.com/english/skyw.../jet-blue.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.