Search

Weird Lounge Experience- HKG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 3:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Weird Lounge Experience- HKG

I'm on the 9:10pm HGK-DXB via BKK and onto SEA, but my hotel made me check out at 2pm. No problem, I thought, I'll just go to the airport and hang out in the Emirates lounge. At check-in the agent informs me the lounge closes for "cleaning" from 5:30 to 6:15. Yeah sure, whatever.

When I get to the lounge the lounge agent also informs me they'll be closing the lounge. 'Okay, I can't just wait at a couch in the corner while you do your cleaning,' I thought? Sure enough at 5:30 she kicked out about five of us in the lounge. She was also quite nasty about it.

So I go across to the Premium Plaza Lounge with my Priority Pass. I figure ill wait here, or indefinitely, depending on the lounges offerings.

As I'm sitting on my computer doing work, I see about 25 Emirates flight attendants, and cabin crew (including a pilot) strut in and walk into the Plaza Premium Lounge, and go off to a partitioned area. They partook in the food, drinks, and it seemed to be their dinner. They were closely followed by a Kenyan Airways flight crew also having dinner.

I just found the whole experience odd. First of all, I've never been kicked out of a lounge before. You'd think for a $20,000USD ticket they could allow people to just sit in the lounge while they do their cleaning, or do it after the last departure of the day? Secondly, do airlines routinely have their cabin crews go to lounges at airports for food and drinks before flights? Surely they can offer them something better at a real restaurant? Those flight attendants put in hard hours.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining. In fact it was an interesting, ironic experience, and something I've never seen in my 15 years as a frequent flyer.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

As well as cleaning, it also give the lounge staff a break for 45 minutes. I guess there are some security reasons why they can't leave you in there unattended...
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As well as cleaning, it also give the lounge staff a break for 45 minutes. I guess there are some security reasons why they can't leave you in there unattended...
It's still a bit odd though, I think - there are busier lounges on the network that never close and still manage to give their staff break time (i.e. good rostering).

As to the crew using the Plaza Premium lounge - HKG-BKK is technically a turnaround, but with long ground time. Can't let crew go landside, or wander off on their own as they are still on duty, technically, so the lounge refreshments are a good option. There still needs to be a semi-private space for briefings or work-related meetings, which a public restaurant wouldn't be suitable for.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:27 am

Too late now I guess, but you would have been able to use the QF lounge too.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by DH188
Too late now I guess, but you would have been able to use the QF lounge too.
The QF lounge is quite far away from the EK lounge though - that said, there would have been enough time to get between them, even if not using the shuttle train
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I had saw the sign for it. Is there something special about the QF lounge?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I had saw the sign for it. Is there something special about the QF lounge?
Has an actual manned bar that also has roast duck or pork hanging like a Cantonese restaurant; much, much, much bigger than the EK lounge; better err, toilets; just past security; better furniture/seating arrangements
Old Feb 23, 2016, 5:43 am

Great staff too, good service and very friendly.
It can get busy of an evening though, when all the QF flights are departing.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

How does the QF lounge compare to their F lounge in LAX, if anyone has been to both just out of curiosity?

How does the QF HKG lounge compare to the EK HKG one? Advantage over the other at HKG?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:39 pm

How does the QF lounge compare to their F lounge in LAX, if anyone has been to both just out of curiosity?

How does the QF HKG lounge compare to the EK HKG one? Advantage over the other at HKG?
I'm afraid I haven't been to the QF lounge at LAX so can't comment on that one.

In terms of QF at HKG, it's just right after the J/K row security/immigration area on 7/F so exceptionally convenient whatever your gate it. It's probably about 5 times the size of the EK lounge and I think it's the superior lounge in terms of hard product (recent refurbishment): the EK lounge at HKG is still on the old style EK lounge concept, but even with the new concept, I prefer the QF one.

At the time I went (was on EK385 to BKK), it was pretty empty; beverage offerings superior at the QF lounge with the manned bar, and I think the food offerings are better at the QF lounge *but* there's not much in it, imho.

Both lounges are perfectly serviceable though, but the EK one is a typical EK outstation lounge, but the QF one is, imho, a step above the average QF outstation facility.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:22 pm

I just found the whole experience odd. First of all, I've never been kicked out of a lounge before. You'd think for a $20,000USD ticket they could allow people to just sit in the lounge while they do their cleaning, or do it after the last departure of the day?
I'd think the amount paid on a fare is irrelevant. And fares to/from HK in most points in EK network aren't that steep to begin with.

The lounge attendant should have directed you to the QF lounge at the very least instead of the agentic push out.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yeah the EK lounge agent was actually really rude. She was a heavy set, Asian girl.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.