Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

I always felt I was being ripped of, I was right.

I always felt I was being ripped of, I was right.

Old Feb 18, 16, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down I always felt I was being ripped of, I was right.

I always thought Emirates were ripping me off on the Dublin-Dubai route so I did a check on a way flight flying on 16 July 2016. The cost is 521 Euro yet if I add a leg to Doha it becomes 467 Euro. A small saving but its cheaper to add a whole extra leg!!!!!!! Stop the rip off, play fair not high fare emirates.....
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Skywards Gold
it's simple supply/demand really. You have a choice whether you wish to pay it or not. It's common knowledge that DXB o/d fares are really high.
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I do not think you understand how airline pricing works.
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you do not like the fare quoted by one airline, there are other airlines

If quoted X and charged X, you are not being ripped off
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
I do not think you understand how airline pricing works.
Understatement of the year :-:
Old Feb 18, 16, 3:17 pm

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
Originally Posted by Showmethefare View Post
I always thought Emirates were ripping me off on the Dublin-Dubai route so I did a check on a way flight flying on 16 July 2016. The cost is 521 Euro yet if I add a leg to Doha it becomes 467 Euro. A small saving but its cheaper to add a whole extra leg!!!!!!! Stop the rip off, play fair not high fare emirates.....
That's how airfare pricing and pretty much anything is priced. Supply and demand.

Now you do have a choice to do your research and wait...
Old Feb 18, 16, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have another view - it helps me rationalise travelling around the world for leisure from Dublin! I'm a regular Dubai visitor, but why wouldn't I make the extra leg if its actually 'saving' me money!

I had 3 days in Bangkok recently, with Dubai as my 'stopover' for 5 days, and it saved me some Euros! 3 days in Bangkok for leisure probably wouldn't have made much sense otherwise!

Plus, I've seen Muscat and Doha because of this as well.

Emirates from Dublin is still some of the cheapest on their network from Western Europe - a lot cheaper than the UK across all cabins. If you are looking for cheaper - try Qatar which sometimes is - but it is only cheaper after 2 stops in LHR and DOH. Emirates typically still cheaper than Etihad or BA from DUB.
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If you want to save some money and arrive in your ticketed destination (important when checking luggage) look at EY (Etihad) which provide busses in coach to Dubai.
Old Feb 18, 16, 9:54 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG
The value of anything is how much people are willing to pay for it. I don't think you know how airlines price their tickets...
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC Altitude 50K, BA Blue, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, DVC, NEXUS
I often will use flight segments to boost getting status faster, while it can be cheaper to fly. Yes, a pain if you want to get somewhere direct and quick, but there are benefits to stop overs in some cases.
Old Feb 18, 16, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Showmethefare Welcome to FT. Please stick around and not be a one post wonder

Originally Posted by Showmethefare View Post
This is common practise with many airlines. Flight to/from an airlines home airport can often be more expensive that with a 2nd flight to another airport.

If you looked at Qatar Airlines pricing I would not be surprised if DUB-DOH was more expensive then DUB-DOH-DXB (no idea if QR fly from DUB:- just a typical example). A lot of at threads on FT hidden city pricing..

Some years on FT was a thread about some people from the same company going long haul to some place. The Germans flew FRA-LHR-xxxx on BA and the British flew LHR-FRA-xxx on LH. All because it was cheaper that using the home airline. The cost saving was significant.
Old Feb 19, 16, 12:28 am

Programs: EK, BA, AF
quite normal... all airlines do this
Old Feb 19, 16, 5:44 am

I agree; it doesn't seem fair. But it is not the same as being ripped off. Many airlines do this. A while back I had to take a United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey to Phoenix, Arizona. After arriving in Phoenix, the same plane proceeded on to Tucson, Arizona. Yet, the ticket to Tucson cost less than the ticket to Phoenix. If you didn't have checked luggage, I suppose you could have purchased the ticket to Tucson and exited the plane in Phoenix. The return would have been another story, unless you booked an open jaw with your return flight leaving from Phoenix.
Old Feb 19, 16, 5:48 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by EmileG View Post
I agree; it doesn't seem fair. But it is not the same as being ripped off. Many airlines do this. A while back I had to take a United Airlines flight from Newark, New Jersey to Phoenix, Arizona. After arriving in Phoenix, the same plane proceeded on to Tucson, Arizona. Yet, the ticket to Tucson cost less than the ticket to Phoenix. If you didn't have checked luggage, I suppose you could have purchased the ticket to Tucson and exited the plane in Phoenix. The return would have been another story, unless you booked an open jaw with your return flight leaving from Phoenix.
return would have been cancelled as you were noshow on the flight to tucson as you have to fly the sectors as per ticket
Old Feb 19, 16, 6:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
return would have been cancelled as you were noshow on the flight to tucson as you have to fly the sectors as per ticket
not if one doesn't disembark if continuing on, then would've been scanned in in Newark and considered having flown. donno about the US but that doesn't work in India for instance where they re-check everyone's boarding passes getting off or staying on board.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: