Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

WWFTD - What would FlyerTalk do? Upgrade 1 A380 leg or 2 777s

Old Feb 11, 16, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold

I've got two opportunities to upgrade on upcoming itineraries and I'm not sure which one to go for:

AMS - DXB - JNB in Y Flex, AMS - DXB in A380 is available to upgrade for 39k miles

JNB - DXB - HYD in Y Flex, the entire routing is available to upgrade for around 55k miles but 777.

Considerations: I've only ever flown the A380 in F, never in Y or J (weird, I know, but I've only ever once flown an A380 in total, since it doesn't operate my usual routes). I've flown the 777 in J several times, and have a decent chance of getting an upgrade on DXB - HYD due to overselling (4/6 in the last 7 months on that route both ways), so could also upgrade JNB - DXB for 46k. But for an extra 9k it's not that much more.

How worthwhile is the A380 J experience? Or bank all the miles and stick it out in Y and end up with 77k miles to use later (at 50k now, can't get any EK CCs).

So in the end, 7hrs A380 J + 8hr 777 Y vs. 8hr 777 J + 3.5h 777 J.

Also, I can only upgrade JNB - DXB now if I do the 777 option, because I won't have enough miles for the full distance until after I fly JNB-MUC end of March, which means the DXB-HYD space will very likely be gone by then.
Old Feb 11, 16, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
I've got two opportunities to upgrade on upcoming itineraries and I'm not sure which one to go for:

AMS - DXB - JNB in Y Flex, AMS - DXB in A380 is available to upgrade for 39k miles

JNB - DXB - HYD in Y Flex, the entire routing is available to upgrade for around 55k miles but 777.

Considerations: I've only ever flown the A380 in F, never in Y or J (weird, I know, but I've only ever once flown an A380 in total, since it doesn't operate my usual routes). I've flown the 777 in J several times, and have a decent chance of getting an upgrade on DXB - HYD due to overselling (4/6 in the last 7 months on that route both ways), so could also upgrade JNB - DXB for 46k. But for an extra 9k it's not that much more.

How worthwhile is the A380 J experience? Or bank all the miles and stick it out in Y and end up with 77k miles to use later (at 50k now, can't get any EK CCs).

So in the end, 7hrs A380 J + 8hr 777 Y vs. 8hr 777 J + 3.5h 777 J.

Also, I can only upgrade JNB - DXB now if I do the 777 option, because I won't have enough miles for the full distance until after I fly JNB-MUC end of March, which means the DXB-HYD space will very likely be gone by then.

The above without a doubt.
Old Feb 11, 16, 8:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red View Post

The above without a doubt.
I'd have to agree... much as I love the A380, having a complete journey in J rather than Y would win it for me.
Old Feb 11, 16, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Pretty quick unanimous opinion there. Then next question, the matter of upgrading 1 segment then later uprading the 2nd and paying only the miles difference by calling in, does this work 100%, any first-hand experience on this? Then I'd upgrade JNB-DXB now and do DXB-HYD when I get the rest of the miles later (or maybe gamble for an op-up, though risky).
Old Feb 11, 16, 11:16 am

Pretty quick unanimous opinion there. Then next question, the matter of upgrading 1 segment then later uprading the 2nd and paying only the miles difference by calling in, does this work 100%, any first-hand experience on this? Then I'd upgrade JNB-DXB now and do DXB-HYD when I get the rest of the miles later (or maybe gamble for an op-up, though risky).
Yes it works. Calm EK they will then route your ticket as one d class upgrade and you will pay the better rate as opposed to doing two separate upgrades.
Old Feb 14, 16, 8:56 am
Original Poster

follow-up, did the JNB-DXB upgrade, 77W, now a seat question, I know it's been discussed but wasn't able to find it in a search, but don't want to start a whole new thread either:

6/7 is the mini-cabin, these are more desirable right? I've selected 7A for now. or would 8A/K be better as these are more like suites with the divider at the bulkhead? Don't remember fully if this was the layout in the 77W.
Old Feb 14, 16, 9:03 am

follow-up, did the JNB-DXB upgrade, 77W, now a seat question, I know it's been discussed but wasn't able to find it in a search, but don't want to start a whole new thread either:

6/7 is the mini-cabin, these are more desirable right? I've selected 7A for now. or would 8A/K be better as these are more like suites with the divider at the bulkhead? Don't remember fully if this was the layout in the 77W.
Stick with row 7. Row 8 is not like suites

Search this Thread
Search Engine: