Wiki Posts
Search

Best time to upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
Best time to upgrade?

Hi all, I have a trip from DXB to Barcelona coming up soon on an overnight. I've been checking the same flight over the last few weeks and business class and first class sections seem fairly empty even on the day of departure.

I'm happy to pay for an upgrade but wasn't sure when the best time would be to get best value. Any views?

I called today and was quoted what was essentially the business class price less what I have paid already for Economy so no gain.

Is there a good / bad time to upgrade? Quite happy to do it at the airport if needed?

Your advice appreciated...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If you're trying to upgrade with cash, you'll just pay the difference between Y & J class as you've experienced.

You *may* have some luck in upgrading at the airport. I believe EK will sometimes allow discounted upgrades. However, any time I've tried I've been refused, as J was full.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
Ok thanks, only having 22,000pts how does a Pts + cash upgrade work?

Sorry for the noob questions
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Deleerious
Ok thanks, only having 22,000pts how does a Pts + cash upgrade work?

Sorry for the noob questions
There isn't points plus cash option, but you can buy up to 25000 points per year. I think its USD40/1000 with minimum 2000 required to be bought...
Old Jan 26, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: Skywards
just be aware that some special fares in Business are online bookable 3/7/10 days before departure so if you want to upgrade at the airport you will pay the fare difference to the regular business class fares
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:11 am
RMO

I have been offered upgrades to premium economy and business on AF upon checking-in online with fares much lower than if I had upgraded one day before. Does this happen on EK as well? First time I'll fly them. C class seems almost empty so that would be so great. Departure date is in early February.

Last edited by RMO; Jan 26, 2016 at 5:51 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by RMO
I have been offered upgrades to premium economy and business on AF upon checking-in online with fares much lower than if I had upgraded one day before. Does this happen on EK as well? First time I'll fly them. C class seems almost empty so that would be so great. Departure date is on early February.
It very rarely happens (most often ex-USA), but I think you'll struggle to find one ex-Europe (~30 ex-Europe in the last couple of years, 0 offers). Have seen it offered in multiple USA airports though, but still hit and miss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.