Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Can't Get to LAX on Emirates: Which of 3 Options Is Best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Four of us are making a 14-day JFK-DXB-COK-DXB-MXP-JFK trip on Emirates coach in April. They all live in NYC but I live in Los Angeles. The travel agent who put all this together revised my itinerary to LAX-DXB-COK-DXB-MXP-JFK but wasn't able to get me back to LAX. There is a MXP-JFK-LAX flight on the Emirates website, the second leg codeshared with JetBlue. However the agent said it didn't show up in her computer to be able to book it. Only the MXP-JFK did. She called someone -- I don't know if it was her "service provider" or Emirates -- but she said she just couldn't do it. I called Emirates directly and they couldn't help saying that any changes need to be made through the agent. I'm assuming this is a done deal.

The MXP-JFK arrives at 7 pm. I'm trying to figure which of three things makes the best sense:

1. Purchase the $194 JetBlue second leg which leaves at 9:20 pm even though it won't be part of the official itinerary and I could get screwed if the Milan flight is late or customs takes forever.

2. Since the JetBlue flight won't be part of the itinerary anyway, purchase the cheaper $154 Delta JFK-LAX flight which leaves at 9:10 pm.

3. Be completely safe. Plan to say over at a JFK hotel and take the first flight out in the morning -- Delta at 7 am.

Last edited by homeboy4; Jan 23, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:04 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
None of these are great. JFK airport hotels are mostly pretty miserable, even if just for a quick 1-night stay.

Delta has the advantage of being in the same terminal as EK at JFK but you still have to clear customs and reclear security, and the security lines at JFK T4 in particular can be very bad. Plus, if you are checking a bag, Delta has a strict 60 minute bag check-in deadline at JFK. JetBlue's terminal can likewise be pretty chaotic.

So probably have to go for the hotel in my opinion.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you are going to attempt a connection, jetBlue would definitely be safest. You should be able to drop your bag (if you have one) in Terminal 4 at the Jetblue transfer desk and if you print your boarding pass ahead of time or use the jetBlue app on your phone to check in, you just need to take the airtrain over 1 stop and clear security which at that time of night is not very crowded in terminal 5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.