Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Chauffer drive: is it guarantted even in a blizzard

Old Jan 21, 16, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS

I am flying EK to Washington Dulles on Saturday where a blizzard is forecast. As long as the flight goes can I assume the chauffer drive will remain guaranteed as well. My ride is confirmed for about an hour north on I-95 where the worst of the weather is predicted.
Old Jan 21, 16, 9:28 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
There is no guarantee, and how can they, when you probably won't be able to guarantee if driving by yourself. A chauffeur is not more superman than you.

Have in mind a plan B. A highway can be closed by authorities, an accident may block the road, etc. Anything can happen.
Arrive early. Bring a big paperback and enjoy the lounge.
Old Jan 21, 16, 9:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Definitely not guaranteed. No driver will attempt to get on the I-95 if it's blocked by a snow storm.

I'd start looking at alternatives. Maybe book a cancelable hotel somewhere near the airport? Otherwise you may get stranded there.
Old Jan 21, 16, 9:47 am

If the flight goes on time, but the chauffeur didn't make it because of weather conditions, note you will still be classed as a no-show and have to pay the appropriate penalties for changes.

EDIT: Scanned post, you mean chauffeur drive on arrival - he should still be there, but it's a contracted service, so they may of course decline to take you to somewhere if conditions are dangerous!
Old Jan 21, 16, 9:47 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
Have in mind a plan B. A highway can be closed by authorities, an accident may block the road, etc. Anything can happen.
Arrive early. Bring a big paperback and enjoy the lounge.
Will they allow you into the lounge when arriving?
Old Jan 21, 16, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Will they allow you into the lounge when arriving?
Why wouldn't they ? Chauffeur drive means F/J class. No ?
Old Jan 21, 16, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
Why wouldn't they ? Chauffeur drive means F/J class. No ?
OP is flying to IAD, which is where the blizzard is, so no lounge access on arrival.
Old Jan 21, 16, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
A similar blizzard in '11 (IIRC) had an EY flight, I was supposed to pick up niece from, divert to ORD instead of arriving at JFK as scheduled. DC is expecting 18-24" of snow starting tomorrow afternoon. Getting diverted might be a bigger worry.
Old Jan 21, 16, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
If the flight goes on time, but the chauffeur didn't make it because of weather conditions, note you will still be classed as a no-show and have to pay the appropriate penalties for changes.

EDIT: Scanned post, you mean chauffeur drive on arrival - he should still be there, but it's a contracted service, so they may of course decline to take you to somewhere if conditions are dangerous!
Yes, I am asking about chauffer on arrival in IAD so no lounge access. I guess I should probably book a hotel near-by before they get booked up.

I am surprised though about the no-show though if I took it on departure. I have gotten picked up for a flight out of JFK by a chauffer with a time that I thought was cutting it too close. They told me if I was late for the flight it wouldn't be my problem to deal with. Can anyone else confirm or not if a chauffer causes you to no-show what is the procedure. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 16, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
OP is flying to IAD, which is where the blizzard is, so no lounge access on arrival.
oops. My bad. Skipped "flying to IAD"
Old Jan 22, 16, 12:04 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
My understanding is that if the chauffeur fails to get you to the airport in time for departure the airline will class you as a no-show.

If you have allowed more that what could be considered sufficient time for the journey from your location to the airport you may have grounds to recover your costs from the chauffeur company, but I expect that there is something in the T's & C's that will cover this.

This situation happened to a friend of mine who was in a car travelling to Gatwick for a flight when the car was involved in an accident on the motorway. As a result of the delay he missed his flight. Fortunately his travel insurance picked up the tab for costs he incurred since the chauffeur company refused to do so.
Old Jan 22, 16, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Catusa View Post
I am flying EK to Washington Dulles on Saturday where a blizzard is forecast. As long as the flight goes can I assume the chauffer drive will remain guaranteed as well. My ride is confirmed for about an hour north on I-95 where the worst of the weather is predicted.
The chances of your flight leaving and making it to IAD is remote. DC as of Friday morning in the US has shut down its metro system and bus service for the weekend. AA has cancelled all flights on Saturday as an example of an airline positioning its planes well away from the north east. You may well know that if there is one city that panics even if only a few inches of snow is expected that would be DC. This is a blizzard which is resulting in unprecedented moves ahead of it says the Washington Post. See whether EK will re-schedule you free of charge or anticipate re-routing.
Old Jan 22, 16, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by saveri View Post
The chances of your flight leaving and making it to IAD is remote. DC as of Friday morning in the US has shut down its metro system and bus service for the weekend. AA has cancelled all flights on Saturday as an example of an airline positioning its planes well away from the north east. You may well know that if there is one city that panics even if only a few inches of snow is expected that would be DC. This is a blizzard which is resulting in unprecedented moves ahead of it says the Washington Post. See whether EK will re-schedule you free of charge or anticipate re-routing.
Exactly. I highly doubt that you'll even leave Dubai. EK doesn't want their aircraft stuck in DC. And if you do leave, I think a diversion is likely.
Old Jan 22, 16, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Sorry OP, looks like EK231 has been cancelled for Saturday.
Just checked and it looks like they cancelled all the JFK flights except for 207 which doesn't arrive until 8:40pm. I have a feeling they will cancel that sooner to departure as well though.
Old Jan 23, 16, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Emirates202 View Post
Sorry OP, looks like EK231 has been cancelled for Saturday.
Just checked and it looks like they cancelled all the JFK flights except for 207 which doesn't arrive until 8:40pm. I have a feeling they will cancel that sooner to departure as well though.
207 is now showing as delayed by 15 hours.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: