Duty free & Dubai transit

Old Jan 20, 16, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Duty free & Dubai transit

We are flying UK - Aus & thought we might purchase our full duty free allowance on arrival ( 2L each) but to bring 1L each home in our checked baggage. I just can't be bothered messing about with bags of bottles either in transit or when we get back to UK. Would this be permitted transiting Dubai? Are there any rules about putting alcohol in your luggage?
Old Jan 20, 16, 1:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
No issues at all if it's in your checked bags. Only hand luggage you can't buy it before your origin airport security. If it's duty-free sealed transit Dubai in hand luggage not an issue
Old Mar 2, 16, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA Plat, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
bumping this with a similar but different question.
flying MRU-DXB-SEA. I'd like to pick up rum in MRU at duty free and carry it on, transit dubai, carry on to seattle (final desination, the direct flight). Is that possible?

My other option is to buy on the island, pack it in checked luggage, and that should be no problem.

The question is not can I buy something in dubai and carry on to the dxb-sea flight, but rather buy in mru and carry on the entire length of the journey.

Doable? not advised? Not too challenging to buy at a grocery store but figured worth asking.

Note - booked in EK first if that makes any difference.
Old Mar 2, 16, 3:01 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
bumping this with a similar but different question.
flying MRU-DXB-SEA. I'd like to pick up rum in MRU at duty free and carry it on, transit dubai, carry on to seattle (final desination, the direct flight). Is that possible?

My other option is to buy on the island, pack it in checked luggage, and that should be no problem.

The question is not can I buy something in dubai and carry on to the dxb-sea flight, but rather buy in mru and carry on the entire length of the journey.

Doable? not advised? Not too challenging to buy at a grocery store but figured worth asking.

Note - booked in EK first if that makes any difference.
no expierence from MRU but friend bought a whiskey in tokyo, no issue at all in transit (as long at it is sealed and you have the receipt)
Old Mar 2, 16, 8:49 am

My experience transiting DXB with alcohol

I have a fondness for the miniature bottles of booze Emirates hand out on their flights and like to collect them. Last time had to leave them behind at security check. Had landed in DXB to transit on to the Far East. As you must be aware even transiting passengers have to go through security. This time I was stopped at the security scan and the officer pointed to my hand luggage and asked if I had any bottles of alcohol. There was some excitement all around that something prohibited had been found. I had a half drunk miniature whiskey and an unopened Baileys and took it out and showed it to him. He insisted I leave it behind at the counter which I did without any argument. Now I dont know if that happens to everybody, if it was just a one off experience, and if I happened to be carrying duty free booze in a sealed duty free bag that would have been okay.

Obviously a miniature is of no consequence but I would have been plenty sorry if I had to leave behind a liter bottle of booze.
Old Mar 2, 16, 9:18 am

Programs: EK Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by traveller351 View Post
... if I happened to be carrying duty free booze in a sealed duty free bag that would have been okay.
Absolutely - I carry alcohol from JFK and transit through DXB all the time...
Old Mar 2, 16, 10:12 am

If it's in a sealed transit bag you can get away with a lot - I had bottles of perfume in a sealed bag, I left the airport and headed into DXB, and after my transit time, I took it back through F/J security no problem.
Old Mar 3, 16, 12:24 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jackiedada View Post
Absolutely - I carry alcohol from JFK and transit through DXB all the time...
I'm doing DFW-DXB (2 day layover) - LHR and want to take some nice bottled beer to my friends in the UK.

Will this be OK ??
Old Mar 3, 16, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by g1ant View Post
I'm doing DFW-DXB (2 day layover) - LHR and want to take some nice bottled beer to my friends in the UK.

Will this be OK ??
in checked bag, absolutely. hand luggage you'll probably face difficulty re-entering DXB airport. Assuming you bought it at duty free in DFW.
Old Mar 3, 16, 12:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do you technically need an alcohol permit to possess or consume alcohol in Dubai? I'm not claiming that these laws are enforced very often, but isn't it against the rules to transport alcohol in a taxi, especially without an alcohol permit?
Old Mar 3, 16, 12:41 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
In theory yes. In practice no. The duty free allowance for UAE is a massive 4 litres of spirits. Don't think any other country allows that much allowance. ( The UK allows only 1 litre BTW)

As long as you don't get drunk and create a ruckus you will be fine .

PS: I have never heard of any tourist being prosecuted for carrying alcohol in Dubai. However if you are intoxicated and get into trouble then you 'could' be charged for this .

Perhaps m3red or other Dubai residents might be able to confirm this?
Old Mar 3, 16, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
In theory yes. In practice no. The duty free allowance for UAE is a massive 4 litres of spirits. Don't think any other country allows that much allowance. ( The UK allows only 1 litre BTW)

As long as you don't get drunk and create a ruckus you will be fine .

PS: I have never heard of any tourist being prosecuted for carrying alcohol in Dubai. However if you are intoxicated and get into trouble then you 'could' be charged for this .

Perhaps m3red or other Dubai residents might be able to confirm this?
I am not a resident, but carrying alcohol (and other alcohol related offences such as being a resident possessing it without a licence) is usually an offence that's tacked on when you get in trouble for something else.
Old Mar 3, 16, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do you technically need an alcohol permit to possess or consume alcohol in Dubai? I'm not claiming that these laws are enforced very often, but isn't it against the rules to transport alcohol in a taxi, especially without an alcohol permit?
You can consume alcohol in licensed areas - i.e. hotels/restaurants etc. with no permit required. For you to purchase alcohol at an off-licence equivalent (i.e. the shops) you need one. The permit requirement does not apply at Dubai Duty Free.

It's a grey area if you are buying at DDF and transporting it to your residence - I think it's allowed without permit specifically in the case of personal duty free you've just got off the plane with (or bought at arrivals DDF).

However, as with all things in the ME, YMMV - application of the law can be relatively flexible and is more determined by your manners, charms and the mood of the authorities at that time of day or year (e.g. Ramadan)
Old Mar 3, 16, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
When we flew to Australia the last time we got secondary screening for liquids at the gate (a B one) and folk with anything outwith their 100ml liquids bag had to either drink it or ditch it and their duty free taken off them to be stored for the flight.

Does that still happen for an A380 where (as long as its an A gate) we leave via the business lounge rather than the gate itself?
Old Mar 3, 16, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by nequine View Post
When we flew to Australia the last time we got secondary screening for liquids at the gate (a B one) and folk with anything outwith their 100ml liquids bag had to either drink it or ditch it and their duty free taken off them to be stored for the flight.

Does that still happen for an A380 where (as long as its an A gate) we leave via the business lounge rather than the gate itself?
That's a general policy on Australia flights regardless of carrier or departure country, so I'd imagine so, yes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: