Gold Renewal

Old Jan 18, 16, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Gold Renewal

Hi

My Gold renewal is Jan 31 and I'm a bit confused with how the math works.

40,400 tier miles have posted "in the past 12 months" with more on the way (another 26k or so) by the end of the month. My statement tells me 35k more miles are required to hit Gold. How does this math work? Why would it not be 9600?

I suppose I'll qualify for silver, but am confused why I would not hit Gold as I understand it's calculated over 13 months - Jan 2015-Jan 2016.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:41 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by johhn14 View Post
Hi

My Gold renewal is Jan 31 and I'm a bit confused with how the math works.

40,400 tier miles have posted "in the past 12 months" with more on the way (another 26k or so) by the end of the month. My statement tells me 35k more miles are required to hit Gold. How does this math work? Why would it not be 9600?

I suppose I'll qualify for silver, but am confused why I would not hit Gold as I understand it's calculated over 13 months - Jan 2015-Jan 2016.

Thanks!
Hi There,

Here is my take on it - however I know there are alot of others much more informed than I.

The maths is based on tier miles accumulated post achieving gold status. Based on the screen shot you've posted, you've only notched up 14k or so tier miles since you achieved gold - therefore the additional 36k required to renew.

You're correct that it's a 13 month revolving pattern and if you're to click forward a month (with the 26k you're flying) it shall give you a revised figure.

If you're short of the 50k threshold you will dip back down to silver until you've flown the 50k within the required 13 month period.

Cheers,
N.
Old Jan 18, 16, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

I see. That would make sense in that I can't use the same miles twice to achieve gold in the same 13 month period.
Old Jan 18, 16, 10:15 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by johhn14 View Post
I see. That would make sense in that I can't use the same miles twice to achieve gold in the same 13 month period.
You are correct
Old Jan 19, 16, 11:56 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Interesting.
I joined Plat on March-15, obviously after having flown during that month (March 18th), and my statement says 0 on March-15, which seems to me quite logic as I haven't flown after that date (during that month).
So, I guess that OP's statement should have also shown 0 on Jan-15 ...
Old Jan 19, 16, 2:09 pm

I remember it by 12 months to retain a level, 13 months to regain, or achieve for the first time.
Old Jan 19, 16, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I remember it by 12 months to retain a level, 13 months to regain, or achieve for the first time.
Oh good. So I'll be able to regain during the year on my next flights then. Bookings already in place

No harm in lowly silver as I'll be in J anyways
Old Jan 20, 16, 2:09 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I'm usually gold for 14 months . Silver for the next 3/4 months and then back to gold.

During the 'silver' phase I am usually in J and therefore status does not matter. Once I get enough miles/future flights get enough miles to achieve gold, I then move on to Y tickets or even stop flying EK
Old Jan 20, 16, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
I'm usually gold for 14 months . Silver for the next 3/4 months and then back to gold.

During the 'silver' phase I am usually in J and therefore status does not matter. Once I get enough miles/future flights get enough miles to achieve gold, I then move on to Y tickets or even stop flying EK
Similar to me, although I'm usually longer in silver. Get Gold again after my next trip and the one following is already booked in Y.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: