Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Using miles to upgrade someone else at airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold

Im travelling with a friend in Y (im in C) and i wanted to use some of my miles at the airport to upgrade her. There are currently no seats available online for upgrade, but expertflyer shows that the flight isnt full.
When i called EK to ask was this possible to do at airport i was told that it was not possible, i could only use miles to upgrade myself at the airport because we are on seperate bookings.

Anyone ever done this?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Im travelling with a friend in Y (im in C) and i wanted to use some of my miles at the airport to upgrade her. There are currently no seats available online for upgrade, but expertflyer shows that the flight isnt full.
When i called EK to ask was this possible to do at airport i was told that it was not possible, i could only use miles to upgrade myself at the airport because we are on seperate bookings.

Anyone ever done this?
It's definitely possible to do. Ask at the airport (or the lounge). You can also space-available upgrade her on board as you are Gold, using your miles. You must bring your physical card to do so.

Do note that expertflyer only shows what EK is reporting to the global reservations systems - there may be a lot of waitlisted/staff travel for that flight which could take up all the additional seats.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
It's definitely possible to do. Ask at the airport (or the lounge).
It might be worth noting that the flight is not departing DXB, its from an outstation in europe, if that makes any difference?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:00 am

It might be worth noting that the flight is not departing DXB, its from an outstation in europe, if that makes any difference?
No difference - station staff should be briefed. Ask at the ticketing desk or lounge, because check-in agents are outsourced but those two positions are EK direct employees.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

Anyone ever done this?
Yes of course you can do this. The issue is if you are not there or on the flight then I think mrtdxb had issues once when he tried to upgrade his wife but wasn't travelling but think they wouldn't allow this which is odd given that you can do this any time before the flight if there is availablity by logging in...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
No difference - station staff should be briefed. Ask at the ticketing desk or lounge, because check-in agents are outsourced but those two positions are EK direct employees.
That's very interesting to know!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
Yes of course you can do this. The issue is if you are not there or on the flight then I think mrtdxb had issues once when he tried to upgrade his wife but wasn't travelling but think they wouldn't allow this which is odd given that you can do this any time before the flight if there is availablity by logging in...
You have a good memory m3red! Was told that only possible at airport check in if on same flight. Not necessarily the same booking. Reason we tried at airport was because no upgrade availability until on line check in window had closed but availability thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.