FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   A380 changed to 777 for DFW-DXB - what the!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1738054-a380-changed-777-dfw-dxb-what.html)

NoStressHere Jan 10, 2016 11:35 pm

A380 changed to 777 for DFW-DXB - what the!!

Have a big trip planned, and part of the excitement was the A380 Suites from Dallas to Dubai. While checking my booking tonight, I see they have changed from the a380 to 777.

That really sucks big time.

Wonder what the chances of getting them to switch us to fly our of Houston - it is still flying in late March for our dates.

Holding off on calling in case anyone here has good advice - and I am somewhat ticked off right now.

Suggestions?

m3red Jan 10, 2016 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25997598)
Have a big trip planned, and part of the excitement was the A380 Suites from Dallas to Dubai. While checking my booking tonight, I see they have changed from the a380 to 777.

That really sucks big time.

Wonder what the chances of getting them to switch us to fly our of Houston - it is still flying in late March for our dates.

Holding off on calling in case anyone here has good advice - and I am somewhat ticked off right now.

Suggestions?

did you pay cash for your tickets? You could log onto manage your booking and price up a re-route....or try your luck calling them up but doubt you will get much sympathy.

NoStressHere Jan 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Should have added. Alaska Air award ticket.

m3red Jan 11, 2016 12:09 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25997630)
Should have added. Alaska Air award ticket.

Well whilst I have sympathy I don't have that much!

Not sure how you redeem AK rewards on EK - I guess you look to cancel and re-route via somewhere with the 380.

The suites pretty much the same you are just missing the bar and the shower. I've had 2 long hauls on the 777 recently - whilst I love the 380 I certainly don't mind the smaller F cabin and excellent service. Plus you can make a bar at the front of the F cabin. :D

I guess if you are doing this as a one off and are not a jaded flyer like me I can understand the desire to fly the 380 and experience it as it is a great experience.

Good luck!

NoStressHere Jan 11, 2016 12:19 am

After a little research and time, I might just leave things alone. We still have an EK 380 from DXB-ZRH so we do get to experience that aircraft. For the 14 hr flight, having somewhere to go vs just the seat would have been nice.

It is 1am here and I need to let this go for now. Appreciate your input.

As to Alaska Air - they do tickets on EK - 90 or 100k for two flights in First on this trip. Really one, with stopover.

m3red Jan 11, 2016 12:25 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25997690)
After a little research and time, I might just leave things alone. We still have an EK 380 from DXB-ZRH so we do get to experience that aircraft. For the 14 hr flight, having somewhere to go vs just the seat would have been nice.

As to Alaska Air - they do tickets on EK - 90 or 100k for two flights in First on this trip. Really one, with stopover.

I know the great deals you have! It costs 150k skywards plus taxes for DXB MAN in F and it takes ages to earn that many miles.

I did DXB ZRH last year and although a short flight it was time enough for a shower, dine on demand and the bar. The car in ZRH was also a brand new S-class :)

edy4eva Jan 11, 2016 1:00 am

Originally Posted by m3red (Post 25997707)
The car in ZRH was also a brand new S-class :)

No car for the OP as it's a partner award ticket :D

edy4eva Jan 11, 2016 1:03 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25997690)

I'd be far more worried if because of the switch F may be oversold on that date so may either be denied boarding or given a downgrade. Reward seats through partners are the first on the chopping board in case of overbooking (EK never oversells F, it's just going from 14 seat to 8 seat F, and significantly less J seats means more likely the flight could become oversold altogether).

edy4eva Jan 11, 2016 1:11 am

Just checked all EK222 flights in April, none of them are sold out so should be safe..for the time being :)

And on that note, a certain closed thread that tried to spin that EK is a scam is given further proof to the contrary. EK reduces capacity on DFW by switching to the 77W.

eternaltransit Jan 11, 2016 4:20 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva (Post 25997827)
Just checked all EK222 flights in April, none of them are sold out so should be safe..for the time being :)

And on that note, a certain closed thread that tried to spin that EK is a scam is given further proof to the contrary. EK reduces capacity on DFW by switching to the 77W.

IAH also going from A380 to 77W from 01JUN.

OP: EK wouldn't do any rerouting for you, they will refer you to AS for any changes. I assume that a redemption change wouldn't cost very much, if anything, just dependent on Z availability.

badgersfly Jan 11, 2016 2:22 pm

This is disappointing news! If I'm tracking correctly, that means that only JFK and LAX will be a380 in the future? I think every other city is either 777 now or announced they'll be going to 777. I cherish the a380 seat privacy and aisle access...and of course the bar area! Loads were light in J on the DFW route, which was one more reason I loved it.

eternaltransit Jan 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by badgersfly (Post 26001519)
This is disappointing news! If I'm tracking correctly, that means that only JFK and LAX will be a380 in the future? I think every other city is either 777 now or announced they'll be going to 777. I cherish the a380 seat privacy and aisle access...and of course the bar area! Loads were light in J on the DFW route, which was one more reason I loved it.

SFO and IAD are/will be A380 destinations.

NoStressHere Jan 11, 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 26001590)
SFO and IAD are/will be A380 destinations.

Sort of looks like the A380 from DFW is now at Dulles/IAD.

I think JFK as it as well?

eternaltransit Jan 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 26002533)
Sort of looks like the A380 from DFW is now at Dulles/IAD.

I think JFK as it as well?

Yes, all the JFK flights, even with MXP stop are A380 now.

dayone Jan 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 25997598)
I see they have changed from the a380 to 777.

This has been reported earlier in a few different threads.

DFW-DXB is scheduled to return to an A380 from September 1. Time will tell.

It's interesting to note that QR is upgaging DFW-DOH to a 777-300ER on July 1.