FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Exiting and Re-entering Airside (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1737686-exiting-re-entering-airside.html)

DYKWIA Jan 9, 2016 6:59 am

Exiting and Re-entering Airside

I'm pretty sure I can do this... but could somebody please confirm?

We're looking to book a flight that arrives into DXB around 8pm. The next flight will be 10am the following morning.

We're going to book the airside hotel so it's easy to get to the connecting flight.

What we want to do is leave the airport and head to somewhere for a few drinks/meal when we arrive at 8pm. So, we'll go through immigration rather than transit. We'll then go back to the airport and through security about midnight, and then check into the airside hotel.

The question is, will we have any issues going back through security 10 hours before the flight? It will be in J class if that makes any difference.

The other option is to go to one of the lounges for a few hours... which I guess would be a lot cheaper :) Or even do an 'Aceboy' (OED - The practice of spending far too much time in an airport lounge, just for the sake of it).

eternaltransit Jan 9, 2016 7:06 am

No issues at all. If you use e-gate to enter Dubai you'll probably still have to go to a desk to talk an officer when going airside as their systems don't update in real time - it's batched every few hours.

DYKWIA Jan 9, 2016 7:07 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25989403)
No issues at all. If you use e-gate to enter Dubai you'll probably still have to go to a desk to talk an officer when going airside as their systems don't update in real time - it's batched every few hours.

Thanks - is it the same with Smart Gate?

eternaltransit Jan 9, 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 25989406)

Smart Gates can only be used on entry, so you'll have to see an officer upon leaving the UAE anyway - but it's only an issue for you if you get really annoyed by having a lot of exit stamps in your passport but no entry stamps :D

StrikeM Jan 9, 2016 7:16 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 25989406)

Yes, but you have to be pre-registered to use it.

What class are you travelling as you mentioned the lounge, if it's buzz or first and if there is no nearer connecting flight time, you can ask Emirates to put you in their hotel which is just outside the airport. They will also provide transfers too. This has to be pre booked and confirmed with them on the phone before travelling.

You can come and go as you please as long as it's within 24 hours of your flight and have already checked in for it.

Couple of points to consider though, the hotel inside the airport is crazy expensive and they charge by the hour and don't go through security tipsy.

My advice is go for the free Emirates hotel if possible or failing that stay in the lounge.

Happy travels :)

eternaltransit Jan 9, 2016 7:29 am

e-gate is a truly pre-registered system - you need to have your e-gate card activated by a DNRD officer. This works for entry and exit clearance.

Smart Gate is not really pre-registered: you go through a non-registered channel first through the same automated gates, and then that forms the basis of your registration which is then validated by an officer right there and then, then you pass through as normal. On subsequent visits it's the same except there's no validation. Smart Gate is only valid for entry clearance at the moment.

StrikeM Jan 9, 2016 7:36 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25989483)
e-gate is a truly pre-registered system - you need to have your e-gate card activated by a DNRD officer. This works for entry and exit clearance.

Smart Gate is not really pre-registered: you go through a non-registered channel first through the same automated gates, and then that forms the basis of your registration which is then validated by an officer right there and then, then you pass through as normal. On subsequent visits it's the same except there's no validation. Smart Gate is only valid for entry clearance at the moment.

I'm pretty sure you have to go to a counter and register next to security on arrival before approaching the smart gates (on the left hand side in T3 I think). Wasn't aware it only worked one way so thanks for the info.

Should probably also mention that e-gates are only available to UAE citizens and residents. Smart gates are available for countries that don't need visas.

eternaltransit Jan 9, 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by StrikeM (Post 25989511)
I'm pretty sure you have to go to a counter and register next to security on arrival before approaching the smart gates (on the left hand side in T3 I think). Wasn't aware it only worked one way so thanks for the info.

Should probably also mention that e-gates are only available to UAE citizens and residents. Smart gates are available for countries that don't need visas.

That is for e-gate registration. Smart Gates on arrival use the same hardware as e-gates, but if you use Smart Gates you are prompted to use the eye scanner, if e-gates, then you use the fingerprint scanner. The non-registered queue for Smart Gates sends you to a validation desk where an officer is waiting.

There are no e-gate registration areas before immigration - at DXB, the most convenient DNRD office at T3 arrivals by Baggage Services, near the taxi queues, as it's generally always staffed. There are other ones in the departure area (e.g. at T3 F/J area just before security, but after immigration, but the last 3 times I went there in the day time there was no one there).

e-gate cards (actual ones you buy from DNRD or the ones included in Skywards cards) are not only available to UAE citizens and residents, they are also available to GCC nationals and citizens of visa-waiver countries. It's not very well advertised though!

http://dnrd.ae/en/Services/Pages/Smartgate.aspx
http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGu...orm.aspx?ID=40

http://www.emirates.com/english/help...-gate-benefits

EDIT: Although EK is of course not the definite source of information regarding immigration rules in Dubai, I am not a UAE national or have a residence visa, but my e-gate works fine :)

EDIT 2: Finally found e-gate eligibility: http://dnrd.ae/en/Services/ServicesG...7&AudianceId=2 4. Holders of Visa on Arrival

StrikeM Jan 9, 2016 7:48 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25989527)
That is for e-gate registration. Smart Gates on arrival use the same hardware as e-gates, but if you use Smart Gates you are prompted to use the eye scanner, if e-gates, then you use the fingerprint scanner. The non-registered queue for Smart Gates sends you to a validation desk where an officer is waiting.

There are no e-gate registration areas before immigration - at DXB, the most convenient DNRD office at T3 arrivals by Baggage Services, near the taxi queues, as it's generally always staffed. There are other ones in the departure area (e.g. at T3 F/J area just before security, but after immigration, but the last 3 times I went there in the day time there was no one there).

e-gate cards (actual ones you buy from DNRD or the ones included in Skywards cards) are not only available to UAE citizens and residents, they are also available to GCC nationals and citizens of visa-waiver countries. It's not very well advertised though!

http://dnrd.ae/en/Services/Pages/Smartgate.aspx
http://www.dubai.ae/en/Lists/HowToGu...orm.aspx?ID=40

Some serious amount of info there 👍

Either way, I wouldn't recommend the OP staying in the airside hotel if other options are available, would you?

eternaltransit Jan 9, 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by StrikeM (Post 25989544)
Some serious amount of info there ��

Either way, I wouldn't recommend the OP staying in the airside hotel if other options are available, would you?

In this case, knowing the OPs post history in this forum, I think he has been to Dubai so many times he knows exactly what he wants from his accommodations :) - and more importantly, what to expect!

StrikeM Jan 9, 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25989573)
In this case, knowing the OPs post history in this forum, I think he has been to Dubai so many times he knows exactly what he wants from his accommodations :) - and more importantly, what to expect!

Ok then....

kuroko Jan 9, 2016 8:11 am

not a problem at all as mentioned already.

has someone had to pay dxb tax doing this (ae, zp and tp taxes) which you would have to pay if you do a stopover?

eternaltransit Jan 9, 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by kuroko (Post 25989631)
not a problem at all as mentioned already.

has someone had to pay dxb tax doing this (ae, zp and tp taxes) which you would have to pay if you do a stopover?

You aren't actively levied it, no :D

m3red Jan 9, 2016 8:34 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 25989385)
I'm pretty sure I can do this... but could somebody please confirm?

We're looking to book a flight that arrives into DXB around 8pm. The next flight will be 10am the following morning.

We're going to book the airside hotel so it's easy to get to the connecting flight.

What we want to do is leave the airport and head to somewhere for a few drinks/meal when we arrive at 8pm. So, we'll go through immigration rather than transit. We'll then go back to the airport and through security about midnight, and then check into the airside hotel.

The question is, will we have any issues going back through security 10 hours before the flight? It will be in J class if that makes any difference.

The other option is to go to one of the lounges for a few hours... which I guess would be a lot cheaper :) Or even do an 'Aceboy' (OED - The practice of spending far too much time in an airport lounge, just for the sake of it).

Where and when?! ^

aceboy44 Jan 10, 2016 7:36 am

When I landed in Dubai and thought I was unable to access the F lounge in Dubai unless I was 3 hours prior to departure, I cleared immigration, took the train ride, and then went back to the terminal till I was confident I was 3 hours to departure to gain access to the F lounge, so no issues at all exiting and re-entering the terminal.

FT101 is still on my ignore list till he offers me a one way F-class ticket with EK from Dubai - Kuwait to compensate me for wasting 3 hours taking the train ride to the city rather than enjoying it in the F lounge.

Speaking about the subject, I still can't understand why people want to leave the terminal when they are flying F/J class rather than spending it at the Dubai lounges since I don't mind spending another 12 hours in the F lounge in Dubai..... :rolleyes: