Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates inflight catering and wine - my piece for CNN

Old Jan 5, 16, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM

Hi all, thought this may be of interest, my piece for CNN.com on Emirates' inflight catering facilities:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/05/av...inkId=20123602

Enjoy

Chris

www.finefooddude.com
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:55 pm
HB7

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Qantas FF, Etihad Guest.
Originally Posted by TungLoWanderer View Post
Hi all, thought this may be of interest, my piece for CNN.com on Emirates' inflight catering facilities:

Enjoy

Chris

www.finefooddude.com
Nice article Chris - interesting to see those staggering numbers.
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TungLoWanderer View Post

Enjoy

Chris

www.finefooddude.com
Very cool. The wine investment figure is on the low side
Old Jan 5, 16, 11:08 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Interesting.

They (EK catering) say the menus are changed every month but they are recycled / repeated quite quickly.

For example, last Septembers menu in business class on the BHX to DXB route (and other European routes I'm sure) is now back and identical for January 16.
Old Jan 5, 16, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by RichL View Post
Interesting.

They (EK catering) say the menus are changed every month but they are recycled / repeated quite quickly.

For example, last Septembers menu in business class on the BHX to DXB route (and other European routes I'm sure) is now back and identical for January 16.
I'm also bored of the food in F. Hardly changed on my routes either.
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Interesting piece, thanks OP ^

Can recall similar insights from a very lengthy article around six months ago when ausbt.com were given access to the operation.

Couldn't help a wry smile at the seemingly paranoid approach to security taken by EK. Perhaps they believe they have a whole host of culinary secrets which must be jealously guarded...... I do wonder if any rivals would see anything worth 'stealing' ....... !!

All said & done, I guess it's a very big kitchen, albeit on an impressive scale. And - although making use of some quality ingredients - it's a kitchen that ultimately produces rather ordinary, repetitive, and very unimaginative meals for its premium cabin pax.

Last edited by subject2load; Jan 6, 16 at 12:28 am
Old Jan 6, 16, 5:33 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Couldn't help a wry smile at the seemingly paranoid approach to security taken by EK. Perhaps they believe they have a whole host of culinary secrets which must be jealously guarded...... I do wonder if any rivals would see anything worth 'stealing' ....... !!
Well, people with bad intentions may not steal something, but they may be tempted to bring something inside. Like germs.
Imagine the mess. Flights grounded due to lack of meals ...
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
Well, people with bad intentions may not steal something, but they may be tempted to bring something inside. Like germs.

Oh sure, that's very important ioto, you're absolutely right.

But a stringent check prior to any entry - which I would like to think happens routinely - can give the necessary protection.

My comments related more to the impression given by EK that they're operating some sort of space research laboratory, or top-secret military installation ; when it's actually just a big kitchen and washing-up warehouse.
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by subject2load View Post
Oh sure, that's very important ioto, you're absolutely right.

But a stringent check prior to any entry - which I would like to think happens routinely - can give the necessary protection.

It was more the impression given by EK that they're operating some sort of space research laboratory, or top-secret military installation ; when it's actually just a big kitchen and washing-up warehouse.
There are serious concerns about it - you don't want the flight deck meals to be poisoned do you? But mainly it's for traceability.

I'm also a little intrigued by the current focus on EK Flight Catering - which was all over ICE for January...usually I'm skeptical when there's a marketing blitz about something like this, because I thought the ultimate test was to let the product speak for itself...which it does
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:42 am

Didn't stop my wife plus 3 colleagues all getting sick after an EK flight back from KHI - it was the only meal they shared together....
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:54 am

Programs: Skywards
you can also bring your own 'food' and the crew will heat it (colleague has actually done that without any problems) - in my opinion, if you really have the intention for bad things, you'll always find a way to do it
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
you can also bring your own 'food' and the crew will heat it (colleague has actually done that without any problems) - in my opinion, if you really have the intention for bad things, you'll always find a way to do it
Of course - but it's like that often paraphrased saying, locks are meant for honest people
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:23 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
I thought the ultimate test was to let the product speak for itself...which it does
If you mean for flights out of DXB, I can sort of agree with you. But flights out from some other countries are terrible.
Old Jan 6, 16, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by lighthand View Post
If you mean for flights out of DXB, I can sort of agree with you. But flights out from some other countries are terrible.
Actually, my reading of eternal's cryptic comment was that the overall standard of the 'product' is (in his opinion) is not particularly impressive ; which is pretty much in line with my own views.

But I might be misinterpreting things, so will leave him to clarify one way or the other.....!
Old Jan 6, 16, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by lighthand View Post
I kind of meant the latter is the how the product speaks for itself

Search this Thread
Search Engine: