FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   How does a booking get cancelled? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1733991-how-does-booking-get-cancelled.html)

SingaporeJoe Dec 24, 15 5:24 am

How does a booking get cancelled?

Long story short,

- Was booked in business class for the EK406 DXB-MEL at 10:15am on Dec 22,
- On Dec 21 at 18:09 I get a reminder email for the flight,
- On Dec 21 at 18:54 I get a reminder text message that the chauffeur will pick me up at 06:45am.

In the morning of Dec 22, the chauffeur does not show up. I call Emirates and they tell me the booking has been cancelled. Rush to the airport and they reissue the ticket but can't get me a seat on the flight any more as it's full (I'm Skywards Gold).

How can this possibly happen?

Also, wrote a complaint to Emirates but no reply yet. How long do you think I should wait?

They got me to MEL via SIN that evening (i.e. I landed 15 hours later than planned) but that was a long wait and I can't really compliment the ground staff for how they handled this.

Thanks & Merry Christmas.

eternaltransit Dec 24, 15 5:35 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe (Post 25911284)
Long story short,

- Was booked in business class for the EK406 DXB-MEL at 10:15am on Dec 22,
- On Dec 21 at 18:09 I get a reminder email for the flight,
- On Dec 21 at 18:54 I get a reminder text message that the chauffeur will pick me up at 06:45am.

In the morning of Dec 22, the chauffeur does not show up. I call Emirates and they tell me the booking has been cancelled. Rush to the airport and they reissue the ticket but can't get me a seat on the flight any more as it's full (I'm Skywards Gold).

How can this possibly happen?

Also, wrote a complaint to Emirates but no reply yet. How long do you think I should wait?

They got me to MEL via SIN that evening (i.e. I landed 15 hours later than planned) but that was a long wait and I can't really compliment the ground staff for how they handled this.

Thanks & Merry Christmas.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, especially at this time of year.

Various reasons why it could have been cancelled - if it's through an agent, the agent didn't pay EK, they thought you had a duplicate booking somewhere, you got offloaded (highly unlikely), or a good old-fashioned screw-up.

About the complaint: should take a week or so before you hear anything (or longer as it's New Years).

kuroko Dec 24, 15 5:47 am

have you changed your ticket close to departure? maybe flights were rebooked but ticket was not (correctly) exchanged

merry christmas

SingaporeJoe Dec 24, 15 5:48 am

Thanks ET! Let's see if they ever get back to me. IMHO they owe me compensation for the taxi ride (from Abu Dhabi) and for the general screw up. I got the guy at the ticketing counter to admit that I didn't do anything wrong but we all know how eager EK is to admit that they are wrong.

Let's play the waiting game. Not much else I can do. At least I got to test drive SQ business class. EK put me to EK352 (?) to SIN and SQ something to MEL.

SingaporeJoe Dec 24, 15 5:51 am

Originally Posted by kuroko (Post 25911336)
have you changed your ticket close to departure? maybe flights were rebooked but ticket was not (correctly) exchanged

merry christmas

I changed the return. That's probably the key. But that was before all those remainders.

eternaltransit Dec 24, 15 6:01 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe (Post 25911351)
I changed the return. That's probably the key. But that was before all those remainders.

I think kuroko is right: an agent changed the reservations but did not reissue or revalidate the tickets, so when it gets close to departure, the system checks that all tickets are valid for travel and automatically cancels any that aren't validated.

I think you have a strong case given that they rerouted you on another carrier instead of making you wait for the next EK flight, but this is EK on their home turf so...good luck! Do let us know the outcome!

kuroko Dec 24, 15 6:51 am

the problem with EK is, you can book the CD service as long as the flight is in the booking (you also get the reminder then) although the ticket shows something different (as et mentioned, they will at some point cancel the booking).

have you booked/exchanged directly with EK or via a travel agent

edy4eva Dec 24, 15 8:07 am

If a ticket is reissued or revalidated or is pending either, inside the 24 hour window of departure, then all appended services are automatically cancelled. Seen this happen with EY and EK, the CD gets cancelled along with meal requests.

Just had it happen to my uncle couple days ago, flying EY from MEL. The issuing agent did not revalidate the ticket as a result of a schedule change so couldn't check him online. I called EY who said to call back the agent. I raised the point about CD/meal requests, and the EY agent confirmed indeed they will be cancelled. So what we ended up doing is holding off from calling until my uncle reached the airport. The CD service was fulfilled. Called the agent, had them revalidate over the phone. Then since he was inside the 3 hour window of departure, his special meal wasn't affected as it was already loaded onto the carts. He had to confirm this with the service desk.

SingaporeJoe Dec 24, 15 12:54 pm

Thank you everybody. Looks we have the likely cause. Let's see their response.

The next direct EK flight would have been something like 2am but that was also full so via SIN was the best (only) option. There was a flight to PER ar 10:45 with an eight hour transit in PER for the MEL connection but that just closed before I managed to get in.

The ticketing guy and the check-in guy did a really good job trying to get me to MEL - kudos to them - but can't say the same about various supervisors in charge.
Edit: booked directly with Emirates.

SingaporeJoe Dec 30, 15 3:29 pm

Just a little update: there isn't much to update.

On Dec. 27 I got the standard "... The events that you have described are being looked into and one of our Customer Affairs Officers will write to you once our review is complete." email and that's it for the time being.

Lots of glitches on their web site right now when managing the booking for the return but I guess that is nothing new.

What's happening to me? Why the cynicism? Am I loosing my faith in EK? Help! Why can't we be like in the good ol' days. Oh yes, I am now living in the UAE. EK experience seems to have been much better when based in one of their smaller stations like MEL or SIN.

SingaporeJoe Jan 7, 16 4:48 am

Update: still no proper reply from EK despite reminders sent by email. Is there really nothing one can do but keep sending emails and not get a response?

And the stingy f****rs only credited me miles DXB-SIN for the flight (as the SIN-MEL was with SQ), not DXB-MEL.

Edit: Just while writing this I got another standard "Please rest assured that the points raised are receiving our full attention and we hope to be in a position to write to you shortly." The full attention doesn't seem to amount to very much. They really know how to be annoying with all the slowness and vague cookie cutter wordings!

eternaltransit Jan 7, 16 5:54 am

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe (Post 25976874)
Update: still no proper reply from EK despite reminders sent by email. Is there really nothing one can do but keep sending emails and not get a response?

And the stingy f****rs only credited me miles DXB-SIN for the flight (as the SIN-MEL was with SQ), not DXB-MEL.

Edit: Just while writing this I got another standard "Please rest assured that the points raised are receiving our full attention and we hope to be in a position to write to you shortly." The full attention doesn't seem to amount to very much. They really know how to be annoying with all the slowness and vague cookie cutter wordings!

Will take around 3-4 weeks, but say 5 because of them doing no work around the New Year.

Push hard for tier miles to be manually credited for SIN-MEL because of the involuntary reroute.

SingaporeJoe Jan 7, 16 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25977013)
Will take around 3-4 weeks, but say 5 because of them doing no work around the New Year.

Push hard for tier miles to be manually credited for SIN-MEL because of the involuntary reroute.

Will do. Something to do to get me through the long days in the office. After all, writing emails is as close as I ever am to work. And by office I mean aeroplane.
At DXB T1 now waiting for an AY flight. I miss T2/3 and EK lounges already. All is forgiven, just come and get me out of here! Oh yes, and start flying to HEL.
How is one ever to keep his shoes presentable without frequent access to EK lounges!

eternaltransit Jan 7, 16 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe (Post 25981170)
Will do. Something to do to get me through the long days in the office. After all, writing emails is as close as I ever am to work. And by office I mean aeroplane.
At DXB T1 now waiting for an AY flight. I miss T2/3 and EK lounges already. All is forgiven, just come and get me out of here! Oh yes, and start flying to HEL.
How is one ever to keep his shoes presentable without frequent access to EK lounges!

Isn't there a Shoe Shine outside the Concourse C EK J lounge?

SingaporeJoe Jan 7, 16 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25981265)
Isn't there a Shoe Shine outside the Concourse C EK J lounge?

In T1?