Originally Posted by SingaporeJoe View Post
In T1?
Concourse C is T1
Old Jan 8, 16, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Concourse C is T1
That's what I thought. Will look around when I'm there the next time. That will be... Let me see... Next Saturday. A Saudia flight to RUH awaits.
Old Jan 8, 16, 10:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

At DXB T1 now waiting for an AY flight. I miss T2/3 and EK lounges already. All is forgiven, just come and get me out of here! Oh yes, and start flying to HEL.
Just wait until you get on the nice AY A320 No legroom, even in J class.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Just wait until you get on the nice AY A320 No legroom, even in J class.
Was in Y on a A321 but on the exit row. Not too bad. Just a bit cold next to that door. That, of course, was a good preparation as HEL had frozen over. Something like -22 when we landed.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Was in Y on a A321 but on the exit row. Not too bad. Just a bit cold next to that door. That, of course, was a good preparation as HEL had frozen over. Something like -22 when we landed.
They made winter's record in the North one or two days ago, -41.1 degrees (in Muonio if I remember right). Refreshing!
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:05 pm

as HEL had frozen over.
Very good, very good
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Very good, very good
I liked living in Singapore. There was always something very conclusive about flying from SIN to HEL.
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:26 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I liked living in Singapore. There was always something very conclusive about flying from SIN to HEL.
I used to fly that route at least 6 times a year. Kept the very first ticket stub as souvenir of my first SINning to HELl flight
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:40 pm

HEL is where you are all going with these puns
Old Jan 8, 16, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

HEL is where you are all going with these puns
I escaped! Near TKU already.
Old Jan 9, 16, 8:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I spent quite a lot of time in Helsinki over the last couple of year. Unfortunately, other than one week, it was in the HEL winter.

The one week I was there in the summer was great. All the women who are normally wrapped in 10 layers of clothing make the most of it!

One of my favourite cities to work - even in the winter. Everything just works.
Old Jan 9, 16, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I spent quite a lot of time in Helsinki over the last couple of year. Unfortunately, other than one week, it was in the HEL winter.

The one week I was there in the summer was great. All the women who are normally wrapped in 10 layers of clothing make the most of it!

One of my favourite cities to work - even in the winter. Everything just works.
Winters in Finland are a bit tough. I grew up in Central Finland but lived nearly five years in Oulu where it gets really cold and it's also always windy and practically dark day and night. Like -30 and windy is not uncommon. In the summer of course everybody goes crazy and it gets pretty entertaining. I still prefer +30 and promise to never complain that it's hot.

A friend used to joke that the Dutch and the Finnish must have lost some major war or something: "OK guys, here's the peace treaty. We are going to take this nice fertile land with a good climate and beautiful landscape. You, you will get that windy piece of swamp. Good luck. Learning to build dams may be a good idea. And you, you get that frozen piece of tundra in the North. Good luck staying warm. Shoo, off you go now."
Old Jan 12, 16, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Living in SIN, frozen HEL (crazy amount of snow today) and shoe shines aside, I got a reply from EK.

Lots of blah blah and white washing but they are offering me an apology, a refund of the taxi fare and a token of good will of 25k miles.

I am somewhat underwhelmed but these things do happen. What say you? Should I just take whatever they give and move forward? EK is very good at making talking to them as painful as possible and the idea of arguing with an auto-reply email does not thrill me.

In any case, thank you everybody for comments and entertaining tangents.
Old Jan 12, 16, 7:50 am

Living in SIN, frozen HEL (crazy amount of snow today) and shoe shines aside, I got a reply from EK.

Lots of blah blah and white washing but they are offering me an apology, a refund of the taxi fare and a token of good will of 25k miles.

I am somewhat underwhelmed but these things do happen. What say you? Should I just take whatever they give and move forward? EK is very good at making talking to them as painful as possible and the idea of arguing with an auto-reply email does not thrill me.

In any case, thank you everybody for comments and entertaining tangents.
I'd accept that because they got you there in a decent product (put it down to a delay), but would still push for Tier Miles to be credited for original routing (DXB-MEL) as it was EKs decision to put you on SQ SIN-MEL.
Old Jan 16, 16, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Isn't there a Shoe Shine outside the Concourse C EK J lounge?
Flying SV to RUH (hooray!) today so I went for a little expedition.
- no shoe shine outside any EK lounge;
- first info counter has no idea what I'm talking about but suggests that maybe the supermarket sells shoe polish;
- the second info counter sends me to the International Hotel;
- the receptionist has no idea what I'm talking about but a) tells me there may be one of these rotating brushes for the use by hotel guests and b) suggests I check the day spa;
- there's nobody at the spa reception but no shoe shine, either.

Ergo: no shiny shoes.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: