Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fares starting from India vs. starting from USA

Old Dec 21, 15, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

I started traveling on Emirates recently. Does anyone know why is there a huge discrepancy in business / first class fares on the same sector (CCU-JFK-CCU) depending on whether the origin is in India (CCU)or in USA (JFK). As an example, for travel in June 2016, the round trip JFK-CCU-JFK first class fare is $18K but the first class fare on the same route but starting from CCU, i.e., CCU-JFK-CCU, is $6600. That's a huge differential. The differential under similar parameters for business class is more than $1500 ($5600 for JFK-CCU-JFK but $4000 for CCU-JFK-CCU). I am sure there is a reason for this, but I am ignorant on this issue. I hope this is not a technical glitch. Can anyone shed light? Is this for real?
Old Dec 21, 15, 10:33 pm

You haven't seen anything yet.

If you look up the full fares you'll be shocked.

This isn't a glitch. All airlines do it.
Old Dec 21, 15, 11:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
its taxes, and what the market will bear.

even the ex UK vs ex DXB differences are staggering....
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by akayal1973 View Post
Does anyone know why is there a huge discrepancy in business / first class fares on the same sector (CCU-JFK-CCU) depending on whether the origin is in India (CCU)or in USA (JFK).
Because you are talking about two completely different groups of people:

1) the set of people in CCU that want to travel to America;
2) the set of people in New York that want to travel to Kolkata

These are two completely different groups of people. Every airline - not just Emirates - will charge the highest possible prices in each market for each ticket they sell [they are in business to make money]. The idea of "same price for a flight, regardless of which side you start on" went out the window when airline markets were de-regulated. The airlines take advantage of the ability of some markets to pay higher prices for tickets.

But it's not just airline tickets. How many goods are priced the same way in both countries? How much does a gallon of gasoline cost in Kolkata? And how much does it cost in New York? How about a packet of cigarettes? Etc etc
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:39 am

It's for real.

In short, it's because there are people who pay those fares ex-JFK (18k for F), but EK doesn't think there's enough people who pay 18k for F ex-CCU. But they do think they can sell it for 6.6k.

And it is a good thing too, because someone has to pay for all of those ULH A380 flights
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Which is exactly why almost all of my travel on EK orginates in HYD, even though I live in New York. You just can't beat paying around 7-9K vs 24K for F.
Have I had to pay those exhorbitant prices before? Yes, for example trips from JFK to Australia or Asia where I couldn't really start the journey from India. But I understand the pricing because there are people (like me sometimes) in New York who will pay those large prices.
Old Dec 22, 15, 3:59 am

Programs: Skywards
there are also people who pay 34K usd plus taxes for a LAX-DXB

edit: just seen there is a fare for 82$ from LAX to DXB in Y, crazy.

Last edited by kuroko; Dec 22, 15 at 4:05 am
Old Dec 22, 15, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by kuroko View Post
there are also people who pay 34K usd plus taxes for a LAX-DXB

edit: just seen there is a fare for 82$ from LAX to DXB in Y, crazy.
But the fuel surcharges -sorry carrier imposed charges must be steep.

Seems like a mistake fare... Nice find.

Now duck from the bloggers going crazy with this.

CIS are 480USD, add to that 86.20USD in taxes and here's a 648.20USD total fare. Not bad.

Last edited by edy4eva; Dec 22, 15 at 4:42 am
Old Dec 22, 15, 5:18 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by edy4eva View Post
But the fuel surcharges -sorry carrier imposed charges must be steep.

Seems like a mistake fare... Nice find.

Now duck from the bloggers going crazy with this.

CIS are 480USD, add to that 86.20USD in taxes and here's a 648.20USD total fare. Not bad.
lowest T class is around 820$ and X is 82$. plus taxes of course

maybe the INF fare published
Old Dec 22, 15, 7:13 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Even though I live in the UK , I usually plan ahead and book EK tickets ex India.

The J fares are usually 25-30% cheaper than the ex UK fares even for travel on the same flights.

There is also more J savers available while booking ex India.
Old Dec 22, 15, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by ukdoctor View Post
Even though I live in the UK , I usually plan ahead and book EK tickets ex India.
Where do you usually travel to?

One can obtain savings of 25-30% (or more) by first decamping to DUB, OSL, PRG, BRU....though not necessarily for EK, though!
Old Dec 22, 15, 9:23 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
All my EK flights are to Dubai or India .
I usually plan my flights months in advance and most of my tickets are bought ex India.

The other advantage with ex India tickets is that I can pay for them in rupees. ( I have an Indian bank account and have some Indian income). The exchange rate with GBP is not great and the transfer fees add up and its not worth converting and transferring them to UK in GBP. This is why I use the rupees to buy EK tickets.
Old Dec 22, 15, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
One can obtain savings of 25-30% (or more) by first decamping to DUB, OSL, PRG, BRU....though not necessarily for EK, though!
AMS.
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: SW-A list preferred , Alaska -MVP Gold , Marriott - Platinum , HHonors - Diamond , Hyatt - Diamond
Hi All,

Looking for a fare from US - India ( BLR ) .Any pointers is much appreciated
Old Dec 22, 15, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Skywards silver Virgin Enrich Flying Blue Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
I wanted to change a J class flight MRU-MAN last month and was surprised that it would cost me 300 pp. If my flight originated in Mauritius however it would have only cost me 30.00 to change.
I am intrigued by you guys booking ex India though living in the UK.
I have property and a bank account in Mauritius and fly between there and the UK.
How would I book a flight ex Mauritius please?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: