Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Red face Atypical flight

EK076 on Dec 6 inbound night flight.

1) part one : departure
Departed gate on time.
Taxied for 10 minutes to specific zone next to 26R for de-icing.
De-icing begins, and at half of the wing, everything is stopped.
De-icing trucks go back to their initial position.
Then, wait, wait , wait.
After half an hour (maybe), captain announces technical trouble, and says that we are waiting for an engineer to come "in 15/20 minutes".
One hour after (approx.), purser asks FA to disarm the doors and to open the doors. I guess that the engineer has arrived.
Later, I can see #2 port side cowling opened. Hum. Engine trouble ...
Then, wait, wait, wait.
Finally, after 4 hours, ship takes off for a 7-hour flight.
Needless to say, that FA had to wake many people for take-off ...
I could watch two movies (on the ground !!) in my suite, but I can imagine the mess downstairs, and the hardship endured by pax sitting in middle seats ...
(Also, de-icing trucks remained next to us during this whole time. Not really an exciting job ...)
We landed at 1130 local time vs 0710 scheduled ...

Incidental question : can any compensation be expected ?
(Technical difficulties happen. No debate. But I had to cancel a business meeting.)

2) part two : landing
On this flight, I always ask to be waken-up one hour before landing to have a light breakfast.
This time, I was awaken by the captain announcement that he was beginning the descent ! ! The seat belt sign was turned on when I was on my way to the bathroom. I was quite pissed off as I didn't want to attend the afternoon meetings with an empty stomach.
Back to my seat, ... breakfast is served ... and I realize that some other pax are having the same (at least 3 pax out of 7, by counting the trays passing next to me).
First time ever, I'm eating while flaps are down and ship is shaken by airbrakes !!!

Incidental question : have you also experienced a meal during descent ?!
(Of course, FA can walk around as long as the captain do not ask them to be seated, but, this is weird.)

Last edited by ioto1902; Dec 11, 2015 at 12:14 am
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Platinum Prem (Life Plat), Hilton Diamond, A Club
To save others time, EK76 is Paris (CDG) to Dubai
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
EK076 on Dec 6 inbound night flight.

1) part one : departure
Departed gate on time.
Taxied for 10 minutes to specific zone next to 26R for de-icing.
De-icing begins, and at half of the wing, everything is stopped.
De-icing trucks go back to their initial position.
Then, wait, wait , wait.
After half an hour (maybe), captain announces technical trouble, and says that we are waiting for an engineer to come "in 15/20 minutes".
One hour after (approx.), purser asks FA to disarm the doors and to open the doors. I guess that the engineer has arrived.
Later, I can see #2 port side cowling opened. Hum. Engine trouble ...
Then, wait, wait, wait.
Finally, after 4 hours, ship takes off for a 7-hour flight.
Needless to say, that FA had to wake many people for take-off ...
I could watch two movies (on the ground !!) in my suite, but I can imagine the mess downstairs, and the hardship endured by pax sitting in middle seats ...
(Also, de-icing trucks remained next to us during this whole time. Not really an exciting job ...)
We landed at 1130 local time vs 0710 scheduled ...

Incidental question : can any compensation be expected ?
(Technical difficulties happen. No debate. But I had to cancel a business meeting.)

2) part two : landing
On this flight, I always ask to be waken-up one hour before landing to have a light breakfast.
This time, I was awaken by the captain announcement that he was beginning the descent ! ! The seat belt sign was turned on when I was on my way to the bathroom. I was quite pissed off as I didn't want to attend the afternoon meetings with an empty stomach.
Back to my seat, ... breakfast is served ... and I realize that some other pax are having the same (at least 3 pax out of 7, by counting the trays passing next to me).
First time ever, I'm eating while flaps are down and ship is shaken by airbrakes !!!

Incidental question : have you also experienced a meal during descent ?!
(Of course, FA can walk around as long as the captain do not ask them to be seated, but, this is weird.)
In a rush so sorry for the brief reply:
- technical issues with an aircraft generally don't exclude EU compensation claims but EK will probably fight it on those grounds, as it would depend on the nature of the problem (e.g. Did the de-icing trucks mess something up or was it a problem with the plane itself) The minimum delay would be 4hrs for EK076 so you are just over the minimum cut off so 600 EUR would be due if the claim were to be accepted.

- on landing on EK only a coffee and a bowl of unpleasant yoghurt, on other airlines that shall remain nameless, yes. Never in Y though.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by UpperDeckDude
To save others time, EK76 is Paris (CDG) to Dubai
Ah... just googled it before seeing this, thanks

I've been served coffee in J during descent, not a meal, though in Y on short haul flights I've had trays being cleared mid-descent with airbrakes out. Drinking tea is a challenge then.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Just to describe the atmosphere :
They begun setting the table after seatbelt sign was turned on.
It means :
> unfold the wide table,
> set cloth, salt & pepper, cutlery
> put butter plate, croissant basket, main dish then fruit plate
> put coffee, juice and water ...

I think I finished my coffee just before the last U-turn over DXB desert.

I don't know how they managed to clear the galley without breaking some china.

That reminds me : they didn't propose bread refills. I need to file a complain.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
A few months ago, had a similar technical issue after push back at JFK... had to call in the engineer, fix things etc.

Was in J. Delay time was adding up so they first served drinks and then the appetizers from the dinner while on the ground, but then had to pack everything up for take off ... and then setup everything again after take off to finish service. Total delay of 4 hours. Definitely a bit odd to start dinner on the ground.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Glad they got you served in time, but talk about being close on time
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
For what I recall (also from a Ultimate Dubai Airport episode) the time limit passengers can be held on board in these circumstances is 4 hours.
It's insanely frustrating not being disembarked when you seat in Y and no informations are provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.