FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates upgrade at DXB with cash to business? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1730585-emirates-upgrade-dxb-cash-business.html)

Alexei17 Dec 10, 15 12:29 pm

Emirates upgrade at DXB with cash to business?
 
Hello, I am planing on flying DXB-JNB. Anybody got a clue how much will it cost to upgrade from Economy to Business?
Thank you

subject2load Dec 10, 15 1:09 pm

When you say "planning on flying" it sounds like you haven't actually booked yet (?)

In which case, I think the easiest way to find the answer to your question is to go to the official Emirates website and search for your route & preferred dates. You can then look at fare types (eg saver, flex etc) within all cabin classes and see the difference (which, based on similar previous queries, is often a lot more than folk are expecting ....!!)

If by chance you are talking about upgrading at the airport : well, very occasionally there are reduced rate offers depending on loads on the day, but these certainly cannot be relied on, and the only way to be sure of travelling business is to book a biz ticket in advance whilst seats are available.

skywardhunter Dec 10, 15 1:33 pm

I second what subject2load has said. If you have already booked you can check under Manage My Booking > Pay to upgrade and see the cost. You will be charged the fare difference based on the fare at the time of upgrade + any change fees, depending on your ticket type (Flex, Flex Plus etc).

The cost at the airport in my understanding is identical to the cost you'll see online or get via the call centre (possibly +/ a couple USD).

EDIT: Also note that you need to upgrade for cash at check-in. If you are Skywards Silver or above you can upgrade with miles even onboard.

m3red Dec 10, 15 10:41 pm


Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 25844626)
I second what subject2load has said. If you have already booked you can check under Manage My Booking > Pay to upgrade and see the cost. You will be charged the fare difference based on the fare at the time of upgrade + any change fees, depending on your ticket type (Flex, Flex Plus etc).

The cost at the airport in my understanding is identical to the cost you'll see online or get via the call centre (possibly +/ a couple USD).

EDIT: Also note that you need to upgrade for cash at check-in. If you are Skywards Silver or above you can upgrade with miles even onboard.

Do not do it online. They always charge for change fees which are 99% of the time waived for cabin upgrades.

ioto1902 Dec 11, 15 1:21 am

OP will probably have the Y ticket paid by a third party.

I'm not certain that you can upgrade online with cash if the ticket was bought through a TA.

skywardhunter Dec 11, 15 1:24 am


Originally Posted by ioto1902 (Post 25847576)
OP will probably have the Y ticket paid by a third party.

I'm not certain that you can upgrade online with cash if the ticket was bought through a TA.

99% certain you can't. You'll get an error in MMB asking to call in.

kuroko Dec 11, 15 4:11 am


Originally Posted by ioto1902 (Post 25847576)
OP will probably have the Y ticket paid by a third party.

I'm not certain that you can upgrade online with cash if the ticket was bought through a TA.

depends on the fare which is issued, if the ticket is issued through a TA, they wont touch the ticket bef departure and send you to the TA to upgrade

Alexei17 Dec 11, 15 11:43 am


Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 25844513)
When you say "planning on flying" it sounds like you haven't actually booked yet (?)

In which case, I think the easiest way to find the answer to your question is to go to the official Emirates website and search for your route & preferred dates. You can then look at fare types (eg saver, flex etc) within all cabin classes and see the difference (which, based on similar previous queries, is often a lot more than folk are expecting ....!!)

If by chance you are talking about upgrading at the airport : well, very occasionally there are reduced rate offers depending on loads on the day, but these certainly cannot be relied on, and the only way to be sure of travelling business is to book a biz ticket in advance whilst seats are available.

Yes, I mean the airport. My friend upgraded EgyptAir for $200 at the airport CAR-JNB, but I doubt Emirates would have such a low frice

subject2load Dec 11, 15 12:39 pm


Originally Posted by Alexei17 (Post 25849602)
Yes, I mean the airport. My friend upgraded EgyptAir for $200 at the airport CAR-JNB, but I doubt Emirates would have such a low frice

Yes, you're pretty safe in your assumption there.

Example fares for a trip DXB-JNB with Emirates (random dates in January):

Economy class return - US $1250

Business class return - US $4000

Figures approximate, but based on cheapest currently available in the respective classes.

edy4eva Dec 11, 15 5:53 pm


Originally Posted by Alexei17 (Post 25849602)
Yes, I mean the airport. My friend upgraded EgyptAir for $200 at the airport CAR-JNB, but I doubt Emirates would have such a low frice

EK don't have such a thing. In the past there's been reports of it happening in the US and UK, but that's long gone AFAIK.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:33 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.