Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding Compensation - where can I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FF, A3 Gold, EY Gold

Hi all

a few months ago I was denied boarding for my return flight MUC-DXB-MUC. I received a denied boarding compensation ticket with routing Dubai-Munich. I told Emirates assistant that I have no interest in visiting Dubai again, but she told me that I could fly to basically any other place in Asia as long as the booking class is the same.

So I called today Emirates and they told me that I can fly enywhere.... within Europe. For example I was given an option to fly MUC-DXB-MXP

Anyone has some experience with this?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:30 am

Unfortunately the denied boarding compensation tickets generally follow the original routing - they are being generous in allowing you to reroute. The fare class those tickets book in are quite flexible (as in, usually have availability).

Was the flight ex-MUC? If so, you can claim 600 EUR from EK, although they will try and deny this, but you have a pretty much open-and-shut case given the fact they have acknowledged they involuntarily denied you by giving you a ticket (which doesn't absolve them the liability of owing you 600 EUR).

You might have to take it to court!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Poster

They just called me to say that I can fly to Dubai and back :/ No way to get to BKK or other Asian cities. So basically I was cheated at Dubai airport (honestly I thought so...).

My flight was ex-MUC, but the segment to which I was denied was DXB-MUC.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by japco
They just called me to say that I can fly to Dubai and back :/ No way to get to BKK or other Asian cities. So basically I was cheated at Dubai airport (honestly I thought so...).

My flight was ex-MUC, but the segment to which I was denied was DXB-MUC.
Ah, in that case no 600 EUR - unfortunately they have no obligation to give you anything ex-DXB so I'm afraid, unless you push the matter with them and get lucky, you are stuck with a return trip to Dubai in the next year!

Still, keep the voucher, you never know what might happen, at least it's better than nothing (which is what they could have given you, harsh though it seems).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Just to be clear, your flight could not have been xMUC and the segment xDXB. Am I correct that what you meant to say is that your ticket was MUC-DXB-MUC and that your were denied boarding for the second segment, e.g. DXB-MUC?

If I am correct, you are then not due any compensation under EC 261/2004 as EK is not an EU carrier and you were not departing from the EU.

The terms of your customer service gesture ticket are whatever you agreed to with EK at the time you accepted it.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If I am correct, you are then not due any compensation under EC 261/2004 as EK is not an EU carrier and you were not departing from the EU.

The terms of your customer service gesture ticket are whatever you agreed to with EK at the time you accepted it.
Yes you are right. I knew at a time of denied boarding that EC 261/2004 does not apply so I took the voucher (either way did not have much choice). This why I opened this thread, asking where I can fly and if I was told wrongly by Emirates rep. that I could fly 2 segments.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by japco
Yes you are right. I knew at a time of denied boarding that EC 261/2004 does not apply so I took the voucher (either way did not have much choice). This why I opened this thread, asking where I can fly and if I was told wrongly by Emirates rep. that I could fly 2 segments.
you can fly 2 segments however in total: xxx-dxb-xxx

maybe mxp-jfk-mxp is an alternative for you.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by kuroko
you can fly 2 segments however in total: xxx-dxb-xxx

maybe mxp-jfk-mxp is an alternative for you.
It's a nice idea, but I'd be very surprised if JFK can be an alternative option under the compensation gesture.

Am pretty sure that by "anywhere within Europe", EK mean any European point to/from their home base, ie Dubai of course. Really can't see the US being offered.

Seems a generous offer to me anyway, within the context of their legal obligations (or lack of ....!)
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by subject2load
It's a nice idea, but I'd be very surprised if JFK can be an alternative option under the compensation gesture.

Am pretty sure that by "anywhere within Europe", EK mean any European point to/from their home base, ie Dubai of course. Really can't see the US being offered.

Seems a generous offer to me anyway, within the context of their legal obligations (or lack of ....!)
as per my source it is not "within europe". there are zones. and mxp-jfk should be in the same zone as muc-dxb, so it should work (also no extra charge to pay like new taxes etc - really good imo)

@OP: you could also use it for a BKK-SYD-BKK and buy a muc-bkk-muc (as the fares to bkk are anyway very cheap)

Last edited by kuroko; Dec 11, 2015 at 2:14 am
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:33 pm

I recently received a denied boarding comp Free ticket DXB/MCT/DXB because I was volunteer for bumping. Free ticket good for one year , nothing to pay for taxes... great especially as was using award ticket. I went to ticket counter at DXB T3 and to my surprise the experienced agent there told I can use the rt ticket(good for "DXB/MCT/DXB") toto a destination in "area 1 which can vary" .on pushing him for what constitutes area 1 (for EK) he replied after looking at computer the " gulf area , BEY , CAI ,KRT , ADD , CMB India" Has anyone had experience with this ?
on asking he also said SOJ applies ex DXB .
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante
I recently received a denied boarding comp Free ticket DXB/MCT/DXB because I was volunteer for bumping. Free ticket good for one year , nothing to pay for taxes... great especially as was using award ticket. I went to ticket counter at DXB T3 and to my surprise the experienced agent there told I can use the rt ticket(good for "DXB/MCT/DXB") toto a destination in "area 1 which can vary" .on pushing him for what constitutes area 1 (for EK) he replied after looking at computer the " gulf area , BEY , CAI ,KRT , ADD , CMB India" Has anyone had experience with this ?
Not personally (I've tried) but yeah generally it's within the same kind of area of the flight you were IDB'd on (includes connection if applicable). There's actually a PDF with list of cities by zone which you can find via Google:

Link to PDF: https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdf...tion_Table.pdf
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Not personally (I've tried) but yeah generally it's within the same kind of area of the flight you were IDB'd on (includes connection if applicable). There's actually a PDF with list of cities by zone which you can find via Google:

Link to PDF: https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdf...tion_Table.pdf
Fantastic !! Thanks for that.
Always good to have hard copy in hand when going to EK ticket desk...especially when printed directly from their website. I was the only volunteer from the whole flight .The local EK staff seemed surprised that there was actually a volunteer.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:57 am

Fantastic !! Thanks for that.
Always good to have hard copy in hand when going to EK ticket desk...especially when printed directly from their website. I was the only volunteer from the whole flight .The local EK staff seemed surprised that there was actually a volunteer.
I see it's actually not from EK website , however it looks great.
Looking at the chart, do you think therefore I could get ticketed PER/CHC/PER which is QF and EK via SYD?..the QF metal flight has EK codeshare flight no. and is bookable as EK flight connection on EK app.The ticket desk agent wouldn't tell in which reservation class/bucket the free ticket is resrrved in but he gave me the impression that space (if seats available) is not too limited.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
One more note, you have until the expiry day to book, then you can book for any dates within the open schedule (usually 330ish days out). They book you into a fare which resembles Flex Plus for changes (not for upgrades, unfortunately).

So you can wait till the day before expiry (watch out for time zones!), book for end-of-schedule, and change it to the date you really want to go. I tried this recently, and changed my itinerary several times.

As for upgrades, these tickets act like Saver for the required mileage and in the case of J are airport-only, Y is airport only same as revenue tickets.

Enjoy, these tickets are truly a treat.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
I see it's actually not from EK website , however it looks great.
Looking at the chart, do you think therefore I could get ticketed PER/CHC/PER which is QF and EK via SYD?..the QF metal flight has EK codeshare flight no. and is bookable as EK flight connection on EK app.The ticket desk agent wouldn't tell in which reservation class/bucket the free ticket is resrrved in but he gave me the impression that space (if seats available) is not too limited.
It'll book into the most flexible booking class but have the Saver fare designation. Extreme flexibility ensues

-- really, duplicative. I thought I was responding to two different people mods delete if you think it's unneccessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.