Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding Compensation - where can I fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding Compensation - where can I fly?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:38 am

Programs: Skywards, MileMiglia, Privilege Club, Star Alliance, OneWord,
Originally Posted by japco
Yes you are right. I knew at a time of denied boarding that EC 261/2004 does not apply so I took the voucher (either way did not have much choice). This why I opened this thread, asking where I can fly and if I was told wrongly by Emirates rep. that I could fly 2 segments.
Emirates staff will tell you whatever to make you accept this voucher and not claim cash compensation. For example I was told voucher will be in the same class as my original ticket (Flex) and it turned out to be not true as they booked me on Saver. So then, there is no chance to get upgraded even if you are Gold. Moreover each time I asked Emirates about this issue, they would give me different information. Not honest.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Giorgio Flyer
Emirates staff will tell you whatever to make you accept this voucher and not claim cash compensation. For example I was told voucher will be in the same class as my original ticket (Flex) and it turned out to be not true as they booked me on Saver. So then, there is no chance to get upgraded even if you are Gold. Moreover each time I asked Emirates about this issue, they would give me different information. Not honest.
Flex an Saver are fare brands, not classes, which would be Y, J or F. Since outside of the EU and US IDB generally has no statutory compensation, good luck getting cash out of EK. If you're flexible, and you're on the return leg of your trip, getting an entire free ticket (+ of course the rebooked original flight) is a decent outcome in my book, I've volunteered in hope of getting this before, but unfortunately always got on the flight in the end
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Why were you denied boarding
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird48
Why were you denied boarding
When a flight is oversold EK will offer a free return ticket (in addition to being rebooked to the next available flight) to anyone who volunteers, it's all quite clear from the thread and context given
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:02 pm

I signed up for a FT account just to post here. my husband and I were denied boarding today from dxb to lgw because we had not checked in online. On the way to the airport more than two hours before our flight we were already unable to check in online. At the airport at the counter we were told to quote DB at a separate, special row of counters. We fly practically once a month, sometimes more, and have never ever encountered such a situation where if we had already selected our seats on a fully ticketed, confirmed reservation we would be bumped off the flight involuntarily. The compensation was a round trip ticket for future use and access to the business class lounge today but this is little comfort for the inconvenience of having to wait for the next flight (into LHR) and having the day ruined on our first day back in the uk. At no time did staff apologise and when this was highlighted the retort was that the complimentary round trip ticket was the apology. I agree that for non residents of dubai, a free ticket is not much compensation.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Momotabby
I signed up for a FT account just to post here. my husband and I were denied boarding today from dxb to lgw because we had not checked in online. On the way to the airport more than two hours before our flight we were already unable to check in online. At the airport at the counter we were told to quote DB at a separate, special row of counters. We fly practically once a month, sometimes more, and have never ever encountered such a situation where if we had already selected our seats on a fully ticketed, confirmed reservation we would be bumped off the flight involuntarily. The compensation was a round trip ticket for future use and access to the business class lounge today but this is little comfort for the inconvenience of having to wait for the next flight (into LHR) and having the day ruined on our first day back in the uk. At no time did staff apologise and when this was highlighted the retort was that the complimentary round trip ticket was the apology. I agree that for non residents of dubai, a free ticket is not much compensation.
If you fly once a month that seems like excellent compensation? There are flights to London every few hours, so how long did you wait? With free booze and food and a free ticket that saves you hundreds of pounds. It's frustrating that they didn't ask you at least, and perhaps had you fought back they'd have let you on and chosen someone else, but pause for a second and consider what compensation you would be legally entitled to (none) and what compensation other airlines, worldwide, provide in such situations, where the is no legal requirement for them to do so. I think EK os fair with their offer. I've tried to volunteer several times before because I'd appreciate free ticket, unfortunately I've never received it. I don't reside in DXB, not sure what that has to do with it. You can use it ex UK to DXB
ElJudioErrante and Zol like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Momotabby
Do you have Skywards status? It's not usual for status customers to be bumped.

As SH says, you can use your free flight for next time you head to Dubai. I'd certainly be happy with that.
Zol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.