FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates Amenity Bags (Kits) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1727183-emirates-amenity-bags-kits.html)

ioto1902 May 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 24882361)
I am about to do CDG-DXB-BKK-DXB-AMS in F. All are day time flights, so I guess I shall receive neither amenity kits nor PJs on any flights?

On CDG-DXB leg, you have a good chance if you ask discreetly, as you are on F and EK gold. I got one on each daylight legs 4 weeks ago (inbound, outbound CDG in F).

As for this thread, two philosophies are colliding : 1) those who only see the utility part, 2) those who want to keep an emotional souvenir of their trips.

But, one shouldn't mock others. FF who don't to hear about amenity kits anymore should understand that some people are really eager to get one, all the more if it is their first FCL/BCL trip.
Just look at ebay, and see how much people are ready to pay for one ...
and also, see how much people are greedy enough to sell what they got for free ... (OK, technically, it is included in the ticket price, ....)

subject2load May 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902 (Post 24883815)

.................................................. ...

But, one shouldn't mock others. FF who don't to hear about amenity kits anymore should understand that some people are really eager to get one, all the more if it is their first FCL/BCL trip.

.................................................. ....

Hi there ioto

It's possible (?) that your comment is directed at me (amongst others) and, if so, I should make it clear that there is no intention of mockery on my part.

I readily admit that I do find the ongoing fascination with amenity kits more than a little puzzling, but that of itself does not mean I cannot at the same time gladly recognise that they are seen by some flyers as desirable items.

My remarks were made very much in light-hearted vein, and apologies if any offence was perceived.

That said, I'd like to think the forum can cope perfectly well with a bit of fun and occasionally cryptic views. And let's be honest, the subject matter concerned is hardly the stuff of intellectual debate anyway ;)

m3red May 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I'll get one tonight that I don't need! Will give it to my dad or our cleaner seems to appreciate them.

ft101 May 29, 2015 12:08 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 24882544)
Plus, I don't believe they're normal issue on DXB-BKK-DXB anyway ....those sectors are regarded as too short.

I have a cupboard full of them that would say your wrong.

JTXC May 29, 2015 2:33 am

Were any of these day flights, ft101? I am on 372 DXB-BKK (deep 0940) and 377 BKK-DXB (dep 1525). I was wondering if all 380 flights would have PJs as standard in F, since there is the shower spa. One can change into, or out of, PJs in the shower before/ after.

ft101 May 29, 2015 4:43 am

Originally Posted by JTXC (Post 24885840)
Were any of these day flights, ft101? I am on 372 DXB-BKK (deep 0940) and 377 BKK-DXB (dep 1525). I was wondering if all 380 flights would have PJs as standard in F, since there is the shower spa. One can change into, or out of, PJs in the shower before/ after.

I'm not sure as I've been on most of them over the past few years. I'm on EK375 in just over a week (departs 09:55) so can check then if it's not too late for you.

eternaltransit May 29, 2015 4:54 am

You don't get them as a matter of course on 372 or 377, unfortunately. You might be lucky if they still have them loaded and you're in F and you can ask if they have any left, similarly with pyjamas, as they are loaded ex-DXB, not at the outstation.

ioto1902 May 29, 2015 11:10 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 24884199)
Hi there ioto
It's possible (?) that your comment is directed at me (amongst others) and, if so, I should make it clear that there is no intention of mockery on my part.

Apologies if the word "mock" was felt stronger than intended.

My point was that some people, unlike us, travel only a few times per year / per life, and flying experience can be exciting and remembered through the rest of their lives. Getting an amenity kit is part of it, all the more if they heard lots of praise of it beforehand.
We should not look at them with funny looks.

We may be indifferent to airline perks now, though, I recall being excited when I got my first EK kit (and was not disappointed).

This said, I write here on FT to help and share , and not to be anonymously aggressive to unknown persons. In return, I get very entertained (<cough> lotion <cough>) :D:D

subject2load May 30, 2015 8:14 am

You make some very fair points ioto, and there is no doubt that some of us can become almost jaded by frequent travel, and the facilities provided in the premium cabins.

I do sometimes make use of one or two of the items found in amenity kits on different carriers (some kits being more 'practical' than others), although personally I could no more imagine enquiring in advance if an amenity kit will be offered on a specific flight than I would enquire in advance as to whether a range of toiletries will be provided in a hotel I have booked.

But ......like you say, each to his/her own ......Vive la difference :)

ps : no apology really necessary, but thanks anyway ^

380Flyer Jun 1, 2015 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 24840776)
Quelle horreur !

How on earth did you survive the flight without one :D:D

(I trust the F bathrooms were well-stocked with, ahem, Hand Lotion ..?)

Have you flown on Singapore Airlines in Business Class - no amenity kit but a second rate socks and eye shades. When will they learn!

Cypress Jun 1, 2015 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 24881702)
I can confirm, no amenity kit on Dublin day time flights. Only the 10:20pm night time departure

Thanks for the information. Shall have to rustle up my own version.
Cypress.

subject2load Jun 1, 2015 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 24902613)
Have you flown on Singapore Airlines in Business Class - no amenity kit but a second rate socks and eye shades. When will they learn!

Not for many years.

No kit ....?? Sacrebleu :eek: (or whatever the equivalent is in Singapore ....)

Then again .... maybe SQ have learnt. As in .... learnt how to save money by economising on the little things....?

Shades perhaps of the infamous one less olive in every salad served by AA many years ago ; or BA removing the flower from their Club World toilets .....:rolleyes:

edit : have just returned from South America with KLM and their biz class kit is neither worth writing home about .... nor worth bringing home !

JTXC Jun 3, 2015 1:02 am

I have just flown EK 372 DXB-BKK. I was told PJs are available upon request (this was volunteered, I did not ask). No amenity kit.

Mike Horsten Jun 3, 2015 12:44 pm

ill go to JNB soon from AMS in F so ill ask

HadesNL Jun 3, 2015 1:34 pm

The amenity kit (F/J) is given out only on the eveningflight ex-ams - the dayflight on the A380 doesn't get it