advice on J/F and ORD-DXB-MEL

Old Nov 22, 15, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
advice on J/F and ORD-DXB-MEL

I have a lot of questions as a first time Emirates flyer.
I have no status.
I am flying ORD-DXB on a 777 and then DXB-MEL on A380
I am flying business.
There is a 14 hours layover in DXB

1. I cant get routed to fly a380 on the USA to DXB segment unless i change toi JFK, so I am on a 777.
Is the business class that bad on this flight? Will there be Wifi? Is it worth changing to JFK for a380 on the way there? Is the 777 that much worse?
2. I have 14 hours at DXB between flights.
I am happy to leave the airport and go to dxb and stay in a nice hotel.
Is there any rapid way to get out of security, immigration etc?
Is this the "dubai connect"?
Or should I pick a decent hotel?
Or would i just stay at dubai international hotel?
If I do stay at dubai international - how do i book a room in advance - or do i do that when i land? Which terminal do i book it for?
Thanks

Last edited by sambb; Nov 22, 15 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 22, 15, 1:54 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates Gold
If you are in business, I would pick the A380 every time over a 777. Mainly because I like the seating arrangements better and I love being able to pop down to the back to the bar, even if only for a cup of tea!
Old Nov 22, 15, 3:46 pm

You'll be given an express immigration card before landing into DXB.
As for departing, you'll be using the premium side where the immigration and security queues are rarely 3 passengers deep -nothing like the US airports. Either way I can't remember the last time I had to wait when flying with EK.

For a 14 hour layover, forget the airport hotel, there's plenty around the Garhoud/Deira areas. I recommend Park Hyatt Dubai, which is on the creek, if budget permits.

For your flight to Melbourne, there will be a second security screening by the gate for liquids, and there's a chance you'll be boarding through a gate in the lounge.
Old Nov 22, 15, 8:21 pm

Hi sambb.

You're not eligible for Dubai Connect, as they count all 3 flights that end in Melbourne, even though only one of them is direct. It sucks, but it's how they justify it. The A380 J is better than the B777 J, but as long as you have an aisle seat, it won't be too bad. At least you're not going from A380 to B777, that would be much worse in comparison.

The Dubai Airport Hotel is better if you value: Not having to go through immigration / customs at Dubai, convenience etc.
An outside hotel is better if you value: price, amenities (by this, I mean if you have SPG, Hyatt etc. status).

To book the Dubai Airport Hotel is very easy on the website: http://www.dubaiairporthotel.com/dub...airport-hotel/
Rates are around $250AUD, which in US is about $180 give or take.

Hope this helps
Old Nov 23, 15, 2:11 am

We've done DXB-MEL and MEL-DXB often in J class and a couple of times in F via upgrade with miles. Personal preference having done 777 and A380 is for the 777 - firstly you get a visit to the lounge in KUL or SIN rather than the long haul and secondly a couple of window seats suits us better than the staggered arrangement on the A380 - those seats feel like you are in a sleeping bag as well! There's too many in J on the big plane and gives a feel (personal thing) of cattle class business to me. Bar handy but you can ask for something to eat or drink at any time on 777; no great interest in chatting with strangers to pass the time.

If you have time in DXB go to the lounge and if you depart from A you can descend from the lounge to the plane by-passing the gate.
Old Nov 23, 15, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier
I'd much rather fly in the 777 too than the A380 - much more room around your seat and it doesn't feel like you are sleeping in a 'coffin' if you are in an E/F middle seat. I really like the small, intimate cabin on the 777 too rather than this huge business class area on the A380.

Flying to NZ next year and we've at least made sure we got the A seats to give us a bit more room to manoeuvre in. Personally I am not fussed about having Wi-Fi on board, I like the fact of being device free for a few hours!
Old Nov 23, 15, 9:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Re-positioning to JFK for the 380 isn't worth it IMHO, the 777 isn't that bad unless you're in an E seat.

In-flight wifi depends on the aircraft as not all 777 are fitted but there's a decent chance you'll have it and it's usually pretty fast, at least has been for me so far. Also fewer users on 777 so if there is wifi you should get slightly better speeds.
Old Nov 23, 15, 12:35 pm

"Dubai Connect" is Emirates' STPC program for those with forced longer connections. Shorter connections are available (via KUL or SIN) so I don't think you qualify - saying that, I'm not sure how the alternatives not being direct/non-stop affect qualification.

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx
Old Nov 23, 15, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA1k 2.5MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Wow, I'm surprised at folks who prefer the 777 business seat over the 380 seat. While EK's 777 J seats are among the better slanted seats, they are not true lie flat seats, which are much easier for sleeping. IMHO, of course!
Old Nov 23, 15, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1kBill View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at folks who prefer the 777 business seat over the 380 seat. While EK's 777 J seats are among the better slanted seats, they are not true lie flat seats, which are much easier for sleeping. IMHO, of course!
I am too - I would not choose business class on a 777 over the 380 - If however it involved doing a ORD-JFK in order to get to the 380 vs going non stop, I would be taking the 777 for the conveniance

In 1st class , however, I prefer the 777 over the 380
Old Nov 23, 15, 11:07 pm

Programs: exUA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
I have a lot of questions as a first time Emirates flyer.
I have no status.
I am flying ORD-DXB on a 777 and then DXB-MEL on A380
I am flying business.
There is a 14 hours layover in DXB

1. I cant get routed to fly a380 on the USA to DXB segment unless i change toi JFK, so I am on a 777.
Is the business class that bad on this flight? Will there be Wifi? Is it worth changing to JFK for a380 on the way there? Is the 777 that much worse?
2. I have 14 hours at DXB between flights.
I am happy to leave the airport and go to dxb and stay in a nice hotel.
Is there any rapid way to get out of security, immigration etc?
Is this the "dubai connect"?
Or should I pick a decent hotel?
Or would i just stay at dubai international hotel?
If I do stay at dubai international - how do i book a room in advance - or do i do that when i land? Which terminal do i book it for?
Thanks
I flew the DXB-ORD route in September and it had WiFi both ways. I'm also debating on my next trip what route to take, I like the bar in the A380 and the privacy of the window seat without the annoyance of stepping over someone to use the toilet. But the DXB-ORD routing is much more convenient for me as well as more economical (I'm heading to LAS but want to also go to IND for a vacation). I don't mind the slightly elevated seating, in fact it doesn't bother me at all so will probably take the 777.

In DXB I would venture out, the weather is awesome right now and lots to do in 14 hours. The IBIS's are still reasonable on Shaikh Zayed road, take a taxi to the Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa or go to the Marina Walk and the JBR area to see the beach area. You arrive at 7pm though so it will be dark when you are here.