Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fast Track Passes will be Cancelled in Thailand

Fast Track Passes will be Cancelled in Thailand

Old Nov 19, 15, 5:08 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: EK Pleb
Posts: 246
Exclamation Fast Track Passes will be Cancelled in Thailand

Mr Nitinai Sirismatthakarn, President of Airport of Thailand Plc (AoT), announced today that as from the 1 December 2015 BKK and HKT will start using an Advance Passenger Processing System [APPS] to boost security through thorough screening of all passengers both in and outbound.

Mr Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said that screening of all passenger profiles may lead to longer boarding times , he also urged passengers to be patient with the extra-tight security measures, including the cancellation of all types of fast passes .

It should be noted that APPS was going to be introduced in 2003, then 2005, 2007 and 2008 but no reasons were ever given as to why it was never introduced . Will it happen this time

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-go-high-tech
Oldtiger is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 5:47 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Posts: 506
Honestly thought it would happen sooner (sigh..). But looking at present environment, I guess most would rather be safe then sorry.
lighthand is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 7:33 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dubai
Programs: EK Gold
Posts: 213
Bugger! I arrive at 0735 into BKK on the 1st Dec!
nmc980 is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 8:47 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Posts: 278
I can understand taking a bit more scrutiny but surely there is a way for a priority service and enhanced screening to co-exist. After all, fast track doesn't give you a lighter touch, just a shorter line because there are less people going through.
SuiteFlight is offline  
Old Nov 19, 15, 9:35 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
A source at BKK tells me that EK already participates in API data (of course, given the destinations it flies to) - all this is is Thai Immigration connecting to airline API data rather than anything new for passengers.

With regards to Fast Track - no one has heard anything officially, and AoT makes too much money from Fast Track for this ever to be anything other than temporary, if indeed there is a cancellation in the first place.

I wouldn't worry.

Also, updated link: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...s-go-high-tech
eternaltransit is offline  
Old Dec 21, 15, 3:52 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BKK
Programs: EK Pleb
Posts: 246
Update on my original post
Iíve just completed a return trip BKK to LGW in F, and I'm happy to advise that Fast Track through immigration at BKK (both outbound and inbound) is operating as normal .
Oldtiger is offline  
Old Dec 21, 15, 4:17 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 5,681
Many thanks for the (very welcome ) update Oldtiger.

Will be in & out of BKK a few times myself during Feb so have been watching this thread with more than average interest......

eternaltransit made reference earlier to the inherent profitability of FastTrack, and so ultimately - and as so often in this big bad world - I guess money talks.
subject2load is offline  
Old Dec 21, 15, 4:35 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
Originally Posted by Oldtiger View Post
Update on my original post
Iíve just completed a return trip BKK to LGW in F, and I'm happy to advise that Fast Track through immigration at BKK (both outbound and inbound) is operating as normal .
Which flights did you take? We might have been on the same flight!

Also happy to confirm the above as well. My source at BKK tells me that AoT quietly shelved the plan to cancel Fast Track, but Immigration does now connect to receive API data from airlines.

There is no additional effect on anyone flying EK as the airline already participates in all API systems worldwide.
eternaltransit is offline  
Old Dec 21, 15, 8:37 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dubai
Programs: EK Gold
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Which flights did you take? We might have been on the same flight!

Also happy to confirm the above as well. My source at BKK tells me that AoT quietly shelved the plan to cancel Fast Track, but Immigration does now connect to receive API data from airlines.

There is no additional effect on anyone flying EK as the airline already participates in all API systems worldwide.
Hey eternaltransit - were you flying in F, J or Y?

I was in Y and asked the FA for a fast track being gold status. I was told that the fast track was only distributed to those in F&J.
nmc980 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 15, 8:57 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
Originally Posted by nmc980 View Post
Hey eternaltransit - were you flying in F, J or Y?

I was in Y and asked the FA for a fast track being gold status. I was told that the fast track was only distributed to those in F&J.
Y - yes that is the general policy now. Sometimes they are nice and give them out to Platinums.
eternaltransit is offline  
Old Dec 21, 15, 11:06 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dubai
Programs: EK Gold
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
Y - yes that is the general policy now. Sometimes they are nice and give them out to Platinums.
Ah thanks! Good to know for next time.
nmc980 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 15, 4:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 876
On all my EK flights to DXB from London this month I've been given a fast track card as a gold in Y.
MarkLHR is offline  
Old Dec 23, 15, 5:18 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 5,156
Originally Posted by MarkLHR View Post
On all my EK flights to DXB from London this month I've been given a fast track card as a gold in Y.
DXB all HVC pax get fast track cards; BKK it's for F/J only in general.
eternaltransit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: