Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Just received status match email. EK is giving out Gold or Platinum

Old Oct 29, 15, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques

I just got an offer to match to Gold or Platinum. All I have to do is send them a FF statement from another airline before November 30th.

The problem for me is I don't think I'm going to be doing any EK flying in the near future so I might as well wait for the next offer.

http://www.emirates.com/fr/english/o...t-flyer-status
Old Oct 29, 15, 7:40 am

Programs: SkyTeam Plat, Bonvoy Plat
You do not need to fly with EK :
They say "Your loyalty to another airline could get you instant Gold or Platinum status, without even taking a flight".
So if you are Gold or Platinum with Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia, British Airways......, you just send a copy of your Gold / Platinum card and you send it to Emirates.

I am not sure I correctly understood, but if it is like this, this is a big mistake from Emirates : I am a Gold Skywards member and do my best to keep this level year after year, doing sometimes longer routes via Dubai.
If a person who has never flied with Ek can become Gold or Platinum, this is idiot : how to make the distinction a regular Gold member and another new match Gold member?
Check-in and boarding dedicated files will be longer, lounges will be even more crowdy etc...

Not the best idea from Emirates I believe, unless they have decided to fight Air France (I think this offer is valid for France only...).

Last edited by Greglem; Oct 29, 15 at 8:11 am
Old Oct 29, 15, 7:45 am

Programs: Emirates Blue, HHonours Gold
Congrats but if you not flying EK alot it might not be too helpful...however take it as they might be able to change your mind
Old Oct 29, 15, 7:59 am

The selfish part of me is going: "oh great, more competition for op-ups and a crowded lounge"

The more even minded part of me realises that I have leveraged EK Platinum quite successfully with various status matches (lounge access on all alliances!) so I would be a massive hypocrite to complain about it
Old Oct 29, 15, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by eternaltransit View Post
The more even minded part of me realises that I have leveraged EK Platinum quite successfully with various status matches (lounge access on all alliances!) so I would be a massive hypocrite to complain about it
Yeah I already have top status in the 3 alliances too, all comped except BA Gold, so this would be nice to add. But I re-read the offer and see that as Platinum I can gift Gold status to a loved one so that might make it worth it after all.

And don't worry. I won't take up too much time in the lounge. I like EK, but to keep renewing BA Gold each year I need to spend more time with QR than EK.
Old Oct 29, 15, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
Yeah I already have top status in the 3 alliances too, all comped except BA Gold, so this would be nice to add. But I re-read the offer and see that as Platinum I can gift Gold status to a loved one so that might make it worth it after all.

And don't worry. I won't take up too much time in the lounge. I like EK, but to keep renewing BA Gold each year I need to spend more time with QR than EK.
My tongue was very firmly in cheek about the lounge crowding - the F lounges in DXB are too gigantic to be crowded... Although now I hear the QR Al-Safwa lounge is now open so....

EK Plat can indeed gift EK Gold to someone (you don't have to love them ), so that would be useful for outstations if you have a family of 4 (although EK generally allow families under 12 to access with the parents).
Old Oct 29, 15, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Yes, would appear to be targeted at France market only ....?

EK do have a safety clause (although not clear in what circumstances it might be invoked) within the offer, saying send us a copy of your card and then ....
"We’ll contact you to let you know if you qualify for this offer."
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:19 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
I can't really complain . Before I even set foot on an EK bird I was Silver through a status match with my BA card.

Quite funny when I was sitting in my seat and the Cabin Crew member introduced herself and welcomed me back......

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:21 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
My tongue was very firmly in cheek about the lounge crowding - the F lounges in DXB are too gigantic to be crowded... Although now I hear the QR Al-Safwa lounge is now open so....

EK Plat can indeed gift EK Gold to someone (you don't have to love them ), so that would be useful for outstations if you have a family of 4 (although EK generally allow families under 12 to access with the parents).
Key word being "generally". Not going to happen in SIN.
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I just got an offer to match to Gold or Platinum. All I have to do is send them a FF statement from another airline before November 30th.

The problem for me is I don't think I'm going to be doing any EK flying in the near future so I might as well wait for the next offer.

http://www.emirates.com/fr/english/o...t-flyer-status
Another devaluation of platinum
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:19 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
I think they will only match Platinum if you are for example a Hon, DM etc and willing to switch your business. not really a devaluation as most of the airlines do that IMO
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:26 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Make no mistake. Platinum (or Gold etc) is only a marketing tool which objectives are to retain current customers or to get new ones.
It is absolutely not a reward towards loyal customers.

It's very clever how they are giving a blow to AF when AF is facing an internal turmoil.

Still, as a customer who climbed all the stairs up, I clearly don't appreciate seeing people flying EK a few times flashing a Plat card.
EK should limit this offer up to Gold only.
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902 View Post
Make no mistake. Platinum (or Gold etc) is only a marketing tool which objectives are to retain current customers or to get new ones.
It is absolutely not a reward towards loyal customers.

It's very clever how they are giving a blow to AF when AF is facing an internal turmoil.

Still, as a customer who climbed all the stairs up, I clearly don't appreciate seeing people flying EK a few times flashing a Plat card.
EK should limit this offer up to Gold only.
Plus 1. Not quite plat yet but will be soon. To give it to someone who hasn't flown EK is a joke.
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:53 am

A "challenge" match similar to what hotels do might make EK top-tier elites happier, I think.
Old Oct 29, 15, 11:11 am

A "challenge" match similar to what hotels do might make EK top-tier elites happier, I think.
If someone had the bookings that would get you to plat all in premium cabins I get it. Anything less than that why should you get plat without the hard flying. I've had to endure so many hangovers it's not funny!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: