Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Just received status match email. EK is giving out Gold or Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just received status match email. EK is giving out Gold or Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cmustudent
Hey,

Have any of you guys been successfully matched yet?
Originally Posted by im.daniel
No not yet, sent in application - and received a response asking for travel patterns 2 (?) weeks ago, yet to hear from them.
Nope, same as what im.daniel reported, got the same questionnaire asking for more information too. Although I did attach with the email this time with 4 historical reclocs within the past 12 months booked in 'D' fare and a current booking, alongside another 12 PDFs that are my QF monthly statements haha
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
I think it's slow going as I suspect that authority to grant status match is limited to just a few (or even one) senior employee (a theory that is at least consistent with EK management practice anyway). Junior staff are collating paperwork together as such, and handling enquires, but cannot do more than that by the look of things.

Oh well, we can only just wait until they tell us their decision. I don't think they'll be moved any faster. At least for me (and some others here) I already am lucky enough to enjoy Platinum benefits via my QFF status (was the best thing about the Qantas-Emirates hook-up) while waiting for a decision.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SuiteFlight
I think it's slow going as I suspect that authority to grant status match is limited to just a few (or even one) senior employee (a theory that is at least consistent with EK management practice anyway). Junior staff are collating paperwork together as such, and handling enquires, but cannot do more than that by the look of things.

Oh well, we can only just wait until they tell us their decision. I don't think they'll be moved any faster. At least for me (and some others here) I already am lucky enough to enjoy Platinum benefits via my QFF status (was the best thing about the Qantas-Emirates hook-up) while waiting for a decision.
If you are qf plat why do you need EK plat?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:46 am

Another notch on the belt?
Bragging rights?
Slot filler for wallet?

All those things the more crank Flyertalkers strive for the most?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Firemansam
Another notch on the belt?
Bragging rights?
Slot filler for wallet?

All those things the more crank Flyertalkers strive for the most?
Am I missing something here? What benefit does EK plat give you over qf plat?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
Perhaps QF WP status is expiring? Better chance of Op-Ups on EK? Thats all I can think of
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
That middle claim is interesting - how does that work? Do you just tell work "I want to go to Venice" and they just cough up an Economy ticket (no commercial reason required). Let's us know who you work for, that's one very generous CFO
You seem to have gaslighting down to a science. "Shade throwing" indeed...

But in sincerity, yes when I need to go visit a client they "cough up" the ticket. I have a travel budget and I have a sales quota. So long as both are met, nobody really cares where I go and when. I just told you my company - with its 30,000 employees - has a policy of economy travel, even on long-haul flights. Whether you're aware of them or not, they do, in fact, exist in large numbers. You can knock yourself out perusing this thread, which indicates policies are all over the place and far from standard: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...rst-class.html

As a sidebar, you've shed more heat than light on the discussion over fare class profitability. Put less charitably, you're completely wrong. While business and first class customers generate a disproportionate amount of revenue (less than 10% of passengers but roughly 25% of revenue), they are largely less profitable than premium economy fares. If you're remotely interested this is a good primer: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...18992081321538 or this http://elliott.org/blog/maybe-first-...ial-after-all/ How do you explain the profitability of Southwest, Allegiant, Frontier, etc. if economy class just covers cost?

Last edited by DudeE; Nov 20, 2015 at 3:20 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
If you are qf plat why do you need EK plat?
Choice. LTG, so less need to keep feeding QFF. Seeing how the two compare when travelling on EK tin. Adding another card to the collection. And why not? Lol

Does that answer your question? Some of these reasons probably already occurred to you, and there is not much more to add. Some people don't like Skywards because they say it isn't as generous as other FFPs out there, but I come from long term QF and NZ FFP status and they say much the same about those.

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 20, 2015 at 4:42 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:56 am

I think you were missing my sense of humor Was mainly just referring to the only thing gained getting EK Plat was the ability to say hey, i have that status too.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:20 am

It's pretty straightforward - airlines always treat their own elites better than partner elites first and foremost. Upgrades are for own FFP (except Star Alliance Upgrades). Reward redemption opportunities are usually better for own FFP. Etc etc.

Partner status might get you premium counter, lounge access, etc but partner status and primary FF scheme status is almost never identical. It's no great secret, so I'm surprised you are not aware of that.

While Sam is just being rude, there is certainly a let's check it out for myself firsthand aspect. Emirates seemed to think there was value in considering it, given the request was made outside of the French offer (and no harm in asking). You might as well ask why anyone bothers with status match promotions - it's because it's there

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 20, 2015 at 5:50 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:38 am

Perhaps QF WP status is expiring?
While my current Qantas Platinum card expires mid-next year, I've currently got 2,050 tier points this membership year, so I'm already set for another renewal. The question is, given I still got a decent part of a year left before my SC count resets, will I hit P1 (although at this stage I'm just looking forward to the 50K point bonus at 2,500 SCs which I will hit - it's nice that QFF offer something after you have run though the 4 standard bonuses).

The way you ask the question, you make it sound like EK Platinum is easier to earn/retain. Is it?

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 20, 2015 at 5:50 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
The way you ask the question, you make it sound like EK Platinum is easier to score. Is it?
No, just perhaps for a temporary extension of status ... should you need
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:03 am

No, just perhaps for a temporary extension of status ... should you need
Just to your earlier comment (since dropped off) - you still have pretty good statuses none the less. LH Senator for Star Alliance door opening, VA Platinum for a grab bag of partners (and I have a soft spot for VA Platinum), and Qantas Gold for OneWorld door opening. It's a good combo for benefits.

Gold (eqv) is where the benefits are felt the most, compared to the dearth of benefits below, Platinum (eqv) doesn't quite have that massive jump but you are hardly going to knock it back for that lol.

I might not always have the most recommended combos of FFPs, but I prefer to have the FFPs of the carriers I predominately fly (whether they are attractive to the travel hacker set or not) because airlines almost always look after their own FFP members better than partner FFP members (it's a trade off I accept).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by DudeE
As a sidebar, you've shed more heat than light on the discussion over fare class profitability. Put less charitably, you're completely wrong. While business and first class customers generate a disproportionate amount of revenue (less than 10% of passengers but roughly 25% of revenue), they are largely less profitable than premium economy fares. If you're remotely interested this is a good primer: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...18992081321538 or this http://elliott.org/blog/maybe-first-...ial-after-all/ How do you explain the profitability of Southwest, Allegiant, Frontier, etc. if economy class just covers cost?
To be fair to SuiteFlight, in every post where he mentions economy or Y fares, he has always differentiated between "discount" Y and "full" Y fares. He has never made a blanket statement about "economy" class profitability.

It is trivially obvious that some fares in Y are profitable, some excellently so, just by looking at airline CASM statistics and published fares. It is also trivially obvious that the low-cost carrier model works: airlines work on profits and margins, not revenue.

Perhaps we should move away from these unhelpful labels such as "First, Business, Economy" when discussing airline product profitability.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
To be fair to SuiteFlight, in every post where he mentions economy or Y fares, he has always differentiated between "discount" Y and "full" Y fares. He has never made a blanket statement about "economy" class profitability.

It is trivially obvious that some fares in Y are profitable, some excellently so, just by looking at airline CASM statistics and published fares. It is also trivially obvious that the low-cost carrier model works: airlines work on profits and margins, not revenue.

Perhaps we should move away from these unhelpful labels such as "First, Business, Economy" when discussing airline product profitability.
There is little to be gained engaging further eternaltransit - as you originally tried to point out (in vain) it was completely off the mark and mostly spurious. This latest addition is more the same - domestic LCCs have as much relevance to Emirates and it's Skywards scheme as fire hydrants do. Claims that collapse on further issued words speak for themselves. Since the beginning, it's a storm that existed only in one mind. Let's leave it and not invite further bizarre additions. It's a post in breach of FT posting rules anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.