FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Emirates over rated? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1707021-emirates-over-rated.html)

m3red Oct 4, 2015 7:50 am

Change fees are a web error a lot of the time caused by travel port.

The op said flex one way and flex plus the other - maybe that's why the error but 100% flex plus are change free so you just need to call EK.

Not taking the upgrade due to seat choice is quite foolish Aceboy - EK should not be blamed for that I'm afraid that's your doing!

m3red Oct 4, 2015 7:52 am

Originally Posted by aceboy44 (Post 25515902)
I will not bother writing an official complaint to Emirates. If they don't care about their I/O's and Platinum members, then I definitely wont bother wasting my energy with them. I am not convinced that the issue is from my side since I have every right to choose the seat I want, but the operator refused to do so, thus I'm switching over to another airline.

Can I do a status match with QR and become GOLD privilage member if I achieve gold with EK? I need 1 more flight with EK to become gold so I don't mind taking an extra flight with EK if that will turn me into a gold Privilage club member :)

You don't have any rights over exit rows or any other seats I'm afraid!

eternaltransit Oct 4, 2015 8:04 am

Originally Posted by aceboy44 (Post 25515902)
I am not convinced that the issue is from my side since I have every right to choose the seat I want

As I said before, I think that changing airlines is not going to solve the issues that seem to pop up in your travels so often ;)

As m3red says, you have no rights to any seats - EK can unilaterally decide to make you sit wherever you want. What they do is offer you a chance to indicate a preference for where you want to sit - and they can restrict which seats they can let you choose from, as they do (e.g.

In fact, you don't have much of a "right" to anything except as to what you and EK agreed to in their conditions of carriage (and of course any prevailing statutory rights you and EK may have). In practice this extends to not even having a right to fly on the aircraft and cabin that you booked on - what you buy is travel from A to B and EK can pretty much decide to get you there however they want, whenever they want (within reason and with compensation for certain locations).

Sorry to burst your bubble of entitlements and rights OP, but it is there in black and white in the contract you agreed to when buying a ticket...

pomkiwi Oct 4, 2015 8:07 am

Originally Posted by aceboy44 (Post 25515521)
Can I do a status match with QR and become GOLD privilage member if I achieve gold with EK? I need 1 more flight with EK to become gold so I don't mind taking an extra flight with EK if that will turn me into a gold Privilage club member

Well they will be losing a silver member - probably won't cost them much sleep. Not aware that QR are doing any status matches at the moment.

I give it two flights with your new favourite airline.....

subject2load Oct 4, 2015 8:44 am

I wish to place on record my respect for all those fellow members who have shown such admirable patience in taking the time to reiterate the very basics of commercial air travel ; the sort of basics (law of supply & demand, no divine right to any specific seat number, upgrade availability changes by the minute (let alone by the hour/day) .......etc etc....) which really shouldn't need explaining to anyone who has flown anywhere near as much as the OP claims to have done.

And ....... a special mention to eternaltransit. Your detailed response (post #11) is above & beyond the call of duty ^

eternaltransit Oct 4, 2015 8:48 am

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 25516064)
I wish to place on record my respect for all those fellow members who have shown such admirable patience in taking the time to reiterate the very basics of commercial air travel ; the sort of basics (law of supply & demand, no divine right to any specific seat number, upgrade availability changes by the minute (let alone by the hour/day) .......etc etc....) which really shouldn't need explaining to anyone who has flown anywhere near as much as the OP claims to have done.

And ....... a special mention to eternaltransit. Your detailed response (post #11) is above & beyond the call of duty ^

It's a slow Sunday ;)

subject2load Oct 4, 2015 8:57 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25516079)
It's a slow Sunday ;)

Ha ha ! But you really are very patient, it has to be said. And I can only hope that the OP takes on board all your informative comments next time he travels, rather than living in what often appears to be a permanent vacuum of unrealistic/unwarranted expectation.

I'm afraid my own attention span didn't last much further than the evergreen AKOD issue when I read the opening post of the the thread :)

coliseum Oct 4, 2015 9:16 am

Originally Posted by aceboy44 (Post 25515521)
Since I wanted the upgrade so bad and the system wouldn’t let me upgrade online I thought of changing my departure city to Singapore on my Flex+ ticket and guarantee the upgrade, only to be surprised to be charged 10 KD as change fees (I thought the purpose of a Flex+ ticket was to get complimentary changing tickets?) Don’t believe me? Take a look for yourself:

I believe the 10KD was because the OP tried to change the booking from KUL to SIN. not because he changed the flight. AT least that's what I understood

Thanks for the warm welcome... this is gonna be fun!

eternaltransit Oct 4, 2015 9:21 am

Originally Posted by coliseum (Post 25516163)
I believe the 10KD was because the OP tried to change the booking from KUL to SIN. not because he changed the flight. AT least that's what I understood

Thanks for the warm welcome... this is gonna be fun!

Per the fare rules for Flex Plus KWI-KUL (e.g. RLERFKW1), a change is defined as Date/Flight/Routing/Booking Code change - no charges are payable.

It's a website thing (and by that, EK IT which they try and sell on to other airlines :eek:)

kuroko Oct 4, 2015 9:35 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25516177)
Per the fare rules for Flex Plus KWI-KUL (e.g. RLERFKW1), a change is defined as Date/Flight/Routing/Booking Code change - no charges are payable.

It's a website thing (and by that, EK IT which they try and sell on to other airlines :eek:)

no access on fares at the moment but is KWI-KUL common rated with KWI-SIN? I know this would be a fare difference however would not be surprised if the EK IT took the fare difference as a change fee (could also be a tax difference, as it was bef departure)

eternaltransit Oct 4, 2015 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kuroko (Post 25516217)
no access on fares at the moment but is KWI-KUL common rated with KWI-SIN? I know this would be a fare difference however would not be surprised if the EK IT took the fare difference as a change fee (could also be a tax difference, as it was bef departure)

Same fare basis for KWI-SIN as well, so would be processed/revalidated as a Routing change only, imho.

stargold Oct 4, 2015 10:21 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit (Post 25516257)
Same fare basis for KWI-SIN as well, so would be processed/revalidated as a Routing change only, imho.

Using some random dates in October as an example (10-20 OCT 15)

RLERFKW1 to SIN: USD 885 r/t + tax
RLERFKW1 to KUL: USD 732 r/t + tax

Given that the fares are actually different, I can't see how you would change routing without paying the difference in fare (even if they do not charge any change fees) - surely one of the basics of airfare?

AFAIK also there is ~USD10 difference in taxes as well (SIN>KUL).

kuroko Oct 4, 2015 10:29 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 25516392)

Given that the fares are actually different, I can't see how you would change routing without paying the difference in fare (even if they do not charge any change fees) - surely one of the basics of airfare?

eternal - this is what I meant. the chnage fee is in the end also a tax (they cash in the change fee as an OB tax)

eternaltransit Oct 4, 2015 10:34 am

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 25516392)

Sure, of course, but I noticed in the OP's screenshot that there was no fare difference stated though, so I think there's a back-end issue here (either fare differences are showing up in change fees, or change fees are being incorrectly applied - similar to when you upgrade online where it's applied even though fare rules waive it).

eternaltransit Oct 4, 2015 10:37 am

Originally Posted by kuroko (Post 25516418)
eternal - this is what I meant. the chnage fee is in the end also a tax (they cash in the change fee as an OB tax)

Yes - possibly an issue with not loading the IATA charges codes properly into their system? But 10 KWD looks like an awfully round number for Singapore taxes...!