Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates over rated?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hope you have good trips with Qatar and Swiss, pomkiwi.

Am giving QR a go myself in Feb next year. Won't be my first-ever flight with them, but my first in many years.

Emirates have upset me 'only' three times in all the time I have flown them. And only one of those actually concerned inflight service (the others being - surprise, surprise - ground/admin issues). Whilst each incident was in itself very annoying at the time (and could so easily have been avoided), I must in fairness be honest in saying it's not too bad a record given all the EK flights I have taken.

I've always thought it's important to see what the competition is offering rather than sticking exclusively to one carrier. Like pomkiwi, I suspect there's every possibility I will be coming back to EK at some point ; if only to use up my Skywards balance ....
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
It's not so much that I am in a 'never going to fly EK again' mood but rather that I have looked rather more closely at what others offer in terms of cost and schedule (my experience is that service in J is usually OK in long-haul in most airlines I would contemplate, including EK) than I was doing before. I was more pondering the slightly adictive nature of airlne status I think...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
It's not so much that I am in a 'never going to fly EK again' mood but rather that I have looked rather more closely at what others offer in terms of cost and schedule (my experience is that service in J is usually OK in long-haul in most airlines I would contemplate, including EK) than I was doing before. I was more pondering the slightly adictive nature of airlne status I think...
The status game is a very addictive game - using different carriers is also great at staving off jaded traveller syndrome. I was just on TG F recently and went to 7 lounges at LHR T2 which apart from amusing me greatly - who knew that UA could actually create an excellent lounge - it was good to see that I can still get excited about travel again. It's strange that we all prefer to pay extra in fares just for the chance of collecting points and badges!

That said, on the way back from BKK once again on TG - apart from the truly excellent ground handling at BKK - I quickly relapsed into being jaded by declining a full caviar and Dom service and instead sleeping for 10 hours straight. Shame on me...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:47 am

No 'shame' there eternal ! I find myself eating & drinking less than I ever used to on aircraft these days - largely because (tempting though many of the offerings are) I've noticed how much better I feel at the other end when moderating my onboard consumption ! Plus, modern-day lounges of course provide far better pre-flight facilities than in times past.

The FF schemes and shiny cards can indeed be addictive. Whilst there are undoubted benefits to be had, it's also worth remembering that rarely will service industries be motivated to step up their game if 100% of their customers remain 100% loyal. It's only the prospect - or the reality - of a certain percentage of their client base moving to a competitor that prompts any serious product improvement.

No surprise that Aeroflot always had the distinction of being not only the largest carrier in the world whilst also being one of the very worst. Within the old USSR, there wasn't a whole lot of choice ......
Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The day I stop getting wasted on planes will be the day that Someone else is paying for me to go somewhere and I will have to work at the other end and that will be a sad day!

Roll on 23 Dec ^

Ps did I tell you we got to the last bottle of DP on the way back from Cape Town? They started giving the other f passengers the Laurent Perrier
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:06 am

Sounds like a full independent enquiry is needed, m3red....!!

Whoever loaded the catering on that flight must be held to account, and heads will roll (unless of course certain pax might be to blame .....)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Sounds like a full independent enquiry is needed, m3red....!!

Whoever loaded the catering on that flight must be held to account, and heads will roll (unless of course certain pax might be to blame .....)
I really can't be bothered to complain as the purser kept it for me...but still no way they should run out.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
No 'shame' there eternal ! I find myself eating & drinking less than I ever used to on aircraft these days - largely because (tempting though many of the offerings are) I've noticed how much better I feel at the other end when moderating my onboard consumption ! Plus, modern-day lounges of course provide far better pre-flight facilities than in times past.
100% agree. I rarely drink any booze on flights anymore except pre-flight champagne on the rare occasion I get bumped to J or redeem miles for J/F.

I wasn't even able to finish more than half of my J meal last week, prefer the hummus in the lounge. EDIT: Not true... the chicken in J was fantastic last week, I just overate in the lounge before the flight.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I rarely drink any booze on flights anymore . . . . .
As my EK flying is leisure travel I'm the complete opposite. Lounge as early as possible and keep it flowing on board.

Roll on Thursday.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by ft101
As my EK flying is leisure travel I'm the complete opposite. Lounge as early as possible and keep it flowing on board.

Roll on Thursday.
^^^
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:15 am

I flew EK a few times in J and agree it's a very average product in all aspects (except ICE entertainment, which is fantastic). But it's a reliable airline and gets me to some interesting destinations with a single connection from SEA.

Flying it again soon out of convenience and good award redemption on Alaska miles, but given a choice I would take SQ, NH, LX, GA... and heck, even DL in J over EK.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by AntonS
I flew EK a few times in J and agree it's a very average product in all aspects (except ICE entertainment, which is fantastic). But it's a reliable airline and gets me to some interesting destinations with a single connection from SEA.

Flying it again soon out of convenience and good award redemption on Alaska miles, but given a choice I would take SQ, NH, LX, GA... and heck, even DL in J over EK.
DL over EK
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by AntonS

Yes, fair comment that the J product has probably fallen behind somewhat, notably in the wake of significant improvements & upgraded layouts now coming from a lot of the Middle & Far East competition.

I'd say that J class is more & more of a core battleground. EK continues to enjoy strong load factors, but is no longer seen as an innovator - or should I say, not as much as it was in its early years.

As for your Alaska redemptions .....well Emirates has certainly won a good number of new US-based fans since the partnership began. Can't say I've noticed similar enthusiasm on this side of the pond (and other points East) for EK regulars wanting to take reciprocal advantage, but hey, I'm sure the day will come. Or maybe not ........
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: A-Club Platinum, Emirates Platinum, Aegean Gold
Well guys, this was my first weekend in a long time not flying Emirates...decided to spend National Week in Bucharest as a small vacation, traveled out on Turkish and back on Tarom.

Turkish was ok, but nothing to right home about, Tarom was just plain funny.....makes you appreciate EK J cabin even on the T7

So with the couple of other flights I have done this year on other airlines I have managed to maintain Star Alliance Gold and the flight on Tarom has taken me to KLM Gold too.

May try a few flights with QR to see if I can get gold with one world then I will hold the full set as already have Gold with Etihad due to the credit card I hold here with ADIB

I really do fly far too much, will try and cut down for 2016, but, it is just so tempting living in Dubai and everything being within easy reach for a weekend away!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Antdenatale

I really do fly far too much, will try and cut down for 2016, but, it is just so tempting living in Dubai and everything being within easy reach for a weekend away!
Sure is! I know how you feel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.