Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Costa in Emirates Lounge Concourse B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Has anyone used the new Costa outlet in the EK concourse B lounge? Are the food and beverage items at the outlet for sale or are they gratis as part of the other food and beverage offerings in the lounge?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eckhaya
Has anyone used the new Costa outlet in the EK concourse B lounge? Are the food and beverage items at the outlet for sale or are they gratis as part of the other food and beverage offerings in the lounge?
Where is it? Last time I flew j I saw Costa cups but never found it...apparently it's free
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
Where is it? Last time I flew j I saw Costa cups but never found it...apparently it's free
Concourse B J class lounge, at the new revamped main entrance, on the right hand side as you walk in. There used to be a small bar in that spot.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, QR Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Yep, the newly refurbished B concourse for EK Business Class lounge features a Costa outlet which offers all their produce complimentary. Staffed well with good experienced baristas who were on their toes that morning - 5th August.
Although they didn't have their full selection of pastries and sandwiches regularly on offer at Costa locations outside - they had chocolate twists, biscotti and other knick-knacks for take-away (complimentary).
Some of the other pax in the lounge who were flying Y class to Doha for the day-trip were asking for warm croissants to be taken away in doggy bags and cappuccinos. [Costa croissants are better in quality than the stale one's EK gives away in the Y cabin wrapped in plastic]
I stopped by for the classic double espresso and took away a bag of biscotti to munch in Doha between meetings - croissant quality on EK J cabins are decent enough for me so I didn't think of grabbing one from Costa...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: EK - Gold
A great addition to the lounge, good quality coffee and nice pastry and cookie options, just what the doctor ordered between DUB and SYD at the weekend. When you have a short transit time, it's ideal I think.

Grabbed a coffee to go but had to sink it before getting down the departure gate as that second security check wouldn't allow me through with it.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by gerardk55
A great addition to the lounge, good quality coffee and nice pastry and cookie options, just what the doctor ordered between DUB and SYD at the weekend. When you have a short transit time, it's ideal I think.

Grabbed a coffee to go but had to sink it before getting down the departure gate as that second security check wouldn't allow me through with it.
Is it in the j lounge? Might have to pop there before going to the f lounge - and why not one in the f lounge
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:34 am

Sort of off-topic, but is the C class lounge renovation now complete?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Must say I'm a little surprised at the enthusiasm (excitement even ...?!) for a Costa outlet.

My own coffee demands are not especially sophisticated, so Costa would be more or less acceptable to me ; but most, if not all, the serious coffee aficionados I know have a fairly mediocre impression of Costa & other chains, which IME are widely considered to be well below the standard of a top notch independent shop. I tend to notice this whenever I spend time in coffee-loving countries, notably Australia.

(as an aside ....m3red ....I do admire (er ...at least I think I do !!) your unwavering ability to scarcely let pass an opportunity to remind us all of your use of F class cabins & related facilities - even on a thread specifically about the J class lounge !!)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
Must say I'm a little surprised at the enthusiasm (excitement even ...?!) for a Costa outlet.

My own coffee demands are not especially sophisticated, so Costa would be more or less acceptable to me ; but most, if not all, the serious coffee aficionados I know have a fairly mediocre impression of Costa & other chains, which IME are widely considered to be well below the standard of a top notch independent shop. I tend to notice this whenever I spend time in coffee-loving countries, notably Australia.

(as an aside ....m3red ....I do admire (er ...at least I think I do !!) your unwavering ability to scarcely let pass an opportunity to remind us all of your use of F class cabins & related facilities - even on a thread specifically about the J class lounge !!)
making the most of it before brats come along.

I will need coffee then.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: EK - Gold
When matched to the coffee quality of Australia, I don't particularly rate Costa either and I generally don't frequent their outlets elsewhere, but getting a barista made half-decent coffee after 13 odd hours from SYD-DXB it's pretty welcome.

Especially having sampled some of that tar-like substance they serve on the plane, which I generally don't get but then sometimes ask for by mistake due to sleep deprivation.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by gerardk55
When matched to the coffee quality of Australia, I don't particularly rate Costa either and I generally don't frequent their outlets elsewhere, but getting a barista made half-decent coffee after 13 odd hours from SYD-DXB it's pretty welcome.

Especially having sampled some of that tar-like substance they serve on the plane, which I generally don't get but then sometimes ask for by mistake due to sleep deprivation.
Best not to think of the Y coffee on EK as coffee, but merely a caffeine transport device

Re: F lounge and Costa: I'm pretty sure that Costa and EK DXB lounge coffee beans are exactly the same, given EK owns Costa in the UAE. Perhaps having a person wearing a Costa apron making the coffee makes it taste better/worse
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:24 am

For sure the apron makes a big difference !

On a side note, a (slightly off-the-wall) former school-mate of mine went through a phase of amusing himself by telling baristas in Costa shops that his name was 'Free Coffee' whenever he placed his order (you know.....they ask for your name to write on the cup ....). Baristas were naturally very puzzled, but he just insisted that was his name, straight face & all. He would then pre-pay as normal and go & wait near the back of the shop. After a few minutes coffee is ready, the cup is held up with a shout of 'Free Coffee' - whereupon the joker calmly walks up to the counter and collects his brew, to general looks of bemusement from others waiting.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
For sure the apron makes a big difference !

On a side note, a (slightly off-the-wall) former school-mate of mine went through a phase of amusing himself by telling baristas in Costa shops that his name was 'Free Coffee' whenever he placed his order (you know.....they ask for your name to write on the cup ....). Baristas were naturally very puzzled, but he just insisted that was his name, straight face & all. He would then pre-pay as normal and go & wait near the back of the shop. After a few minutes coffee is ready, the cup is held up with a shout of 'Free Coffee' - whereupon the joker calmly walks up to the counter and collects his brew, to general looks of bemusement from others waiting.
A friend of mine used to use Mike Hunt as his name. It doesn't work very well nowadays as almost everyone seems to know it.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
A friend of mine used to use Mike Hunt as his name. It doesn't work very well nowadays as almost everyone seems to know it.
Ah yes .....a bit stale now as you say, but still brings a smile

Heard it first in one of those US teen comedy movies, where the new (and dippy) girl on the tannoy at a holiday camp was asked to put out a call for a missing member of staff who just 'happened' to be called Mike Hunt. So the announcement ended up as "Has anyone seen ......."

Apols to all .. wildly off-topic ......!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.