Search

LHR to DXB upgrade on flex ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards
LHR to DXB upgrade on flex ticket

Hi all,

looking to upgrade my flight from LHR to DXB in september using my miles. i booked the tickets within an hour of the flight being released last year however when i phoned to upgrade my flex ticket i was told business class was sold out and would have to wait and ring back closer to the time to see if more seats had been released. i found this quite strange seeing as i was more or less the first person to book onto the flight.

When i phone back now i am still told the same thing and that i will have to wait till i get to the airport. is there anything i can do / say to emirates?

any help would be great as it is quite a special trip and want to start it well.

thanks all ^
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:58 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by billywhizz9
Hi all,

looking to upgrade my flight from LHR to DXB in september using my miles. i booked the tickets within an hour of the flight being released last year however when i phoned to upgrade my flex ticket i was told business class was sold out and would have to wait and ring back closer to the time to see if more seats had been released. i found this quite strange seeing as i was more or less the first person to book onto the flight.

When i phone back now i am still told the same thing and that i will have to wait till i get to the airport. is there anything i can do / say to emirates?

any help would be great as it is quite a special trip and want to start it well.

thanks all ^
There are only a limited number of seats available to upgrade to. Just because there are seats available for sale doesn't mean that you can upgrade (although this used to be the case with Emirates!).

You need to check regularly if award seats become available. You can do this via the Emirates website by trying to book a business class reward flight. If it allows you to do this, then you should also be able to upgrade.

Alternatively, use a service such as ExpertFlyer or KVS. You register which flight you are on, and they will email you if award availability appears.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:17 am
Original Poster

THANK YOU! will have a look on there now and will keep phoning as there are business reward flights available so fingers crossed.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: Skywards
You have to look out for Business Saver Reward, Flex Plus is not possible. Booking class is D.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

sorry kuroko i dont understand. do you mean look out for Business Saver Reward when trying to book a reward flight?

Just spoke to emirates again and still no availability however they said usually business upgrades should be released a month before the flight
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there

kuroko will be able to provide more info on the vagaries of EK booking classes than I can, but as a general point you need to be aware that these days Emirates are more protective of their reward/upgrade inventory than ever before.

Hopefully things will eventually work out for you ; but with LHR-DXB being such a high density route, I think you cannot rule out the possibility that seats may not be released.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:04 am

Hope you get it!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by billywhizz9
sorry kuroko i dont understand. do you mean look out for Business Saver Reward when trying to book a reward flight?

Just spoke to emirates again and still no availability however they said usually business upgrades should be released a month before the flight
Sorry was in a hurry.
You can check for business saver reward tickets only, as the booking class for business saver reward tickets is the same as for an upgrade from Y to C (D class). Just pointed this out because a business flex plus reward ticket would be in O class
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Best recommendation is to register on Expertflyer. This way you don't need to constantly check EK website.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by lighthand
Best recommendation is to register on Expertflyer. This way you don't need to constantly check EK website.
Although I've logged on ek and found availability not showing on EF yet.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
Originally Posted by m3red
Although I've logged on ek and found availability not showing on EF yet.
Time........................................ lag maybe?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:42 pm

Sometimes you find online a better availability (for upgrades) than in the GDS - in my experience (not sure if this also status related)

(do not ask me how this is possible as the GDS' are/should be direct linked to the homepage (or vice versa))
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
I have an upcoming flight on this route booked in Economy Flex.

There is no upgrade availability atm. In case I can do it at check-in, anyone have experience of how much the taxes come upto?

I've never upgraded ex-UK so have not had to pay any additional taxes.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MosquesAndKebabs
I have an upcoming flight on this route booked in Economy Flex.

There is no upgrade availability atm. In case I can do it at check-in, anyone have experience of how much the taxes come upto?

I've never upgraded ex-UK so have not had to pay any additional taxes.
It will be an extra £75
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It will be an extra £75
Great, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.