Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

No compensation of Baggage delay of more than 9 hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold

I recently flew to Seychelles from HYD via DXB for a holiday. My 4 bags were delayed by more than 9 hours, We had to buy all the amenities and clothes as a result. When I called Emirates for fair compensation for the delay, they said they don't provide any compensation for delay in baggage as long as they are delivered.

So, even if the bags are delayed for 5 days they don't compensate you. What kind of a policy is that? Looks like Emirates is taking its success to its head. I never liked their service in the first place, would never fly them if not for the price and their hard product, will choose alternatives next time.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:21 pm

Did the staff at SEZ offer you any assistance? Would recommend you write in with a complaint, as they usually offer you some cash to buy "essentials" in the event of a delay like this - you have 21 days to make a complaint in writing with regard to baggage delays.

http://cdn.ek.aero/cn/english/images...322-194804.pdf
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:41 pm

Travel Insurance doesn't pay for necessities until luggage hasn't arrived for 10 - 12 hours. That's why you have a tooth brush and a clean pair of undies in your carryon. If I was going to a hot climate I would probably have a swimsuit as well.

I don't mean to start an argument but what clothes did you need for 9 hours? You were going on holiday - not to business meetings etc.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Stratheden
Travel Insurance doesn't pay for necessities until luggage hasn't arrived for 10 - 12 hours. That's why you have a tooth brush and a clean pair of undies in your carryon. If I was going to a hot climate I would probably have a swimsuit as well.

I don't mean to start an argument but what clothes did you need for 9 hours? You were going on holiday - not to business meetings etc.
That depends on the insurance policy. 6 hours is enough on mine
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Stratheden

One important issue is whether the airline can tell you right away that it's going to be 9 hours ("We've located your luggage at DXB and it will be on the next flight to here"), or not ("we don't know where your luggage is, we're still investigating.")

I've had both situations, admittedly while going to business meetings, not on holiday (and not, yet, with EK). In one case BA knew it was going to be 4 hours, so it was just a nuisance. It had been a 24 hr trip, I'd already changed into the extra clothes in my carryon and I just wanted to shower and go to bed rather than staying up for someone to deliver my suitcase 4 hours later.

But in another case they couldn't say where it was or when it might arrive. My flight landed at 2 pm. It could be a day - or more - before I get my stuff, so I need to go shopping today for at least one change of clothes and other essentials. At 2 pm, if I wait to see whether they pass some 10 hour deadline, it's midnight which is a little late to go shopping.

I'd like to know that I can get reimbursed, even if I get back from shopping and they deliver my suitcase a few hours later. (In the event, it was nearly 48 hours before they found my luggage. Oh, and the flight had been delayed 24 hours in the first place, so I lost my buffer of "arrive a day early in case there's any problems.")

I think if they can't tell you how long it's going to be, the airlines should reimburse you in any event.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:32 pm

It depends on the airline - Qantas, for example, when reporting a bag as not having arrived on QF2 into Sydney, the agent at the luggage services provided a prepaid visa card with $60 on it; as the delay extended another $120 was provided

If you have travel insurance its payouts can be much more generous ( such as AMEX allowing a spend of $700 after 6 hours and another $700 after 24 hours ) and where having this , is better than getting cards off of the airline
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It depends on the airline - Qantas, for example, when reporting a bag as not having arrived on QF2 into Sydney, the agent at the luggage services provided a prepaid visa card with $60 on it; as the delay extended another $120 was provided

If you have travel insurance its payouts can be much more generous ( such as AMEX allowing a spend of $700 after 6 hours and another $700 after 24 hours ) and where having this , is better than getting cards off of the airline
The Qantas system is pretty good; do they do the same at outstations? I assume they don't provide this in Australia for Australian residents. (10 years ago QF lost a bag for a week, somewhere between LHR and SYD, and I wasn't offered anything, but of course I was home so didn't need to buy anything. Judging by the state of the Swiss chocolate, the bag spent a week in the sun in BKK.)

I might mention that the 24 hr delayed flight + 48 hr delayed bag described in the post above was AZ. Nuf said?

My corporate travel insurance pays "reasonable costs" for delays of more than 8 hours. Which was not much help deciding what to do (jetlagged and in need of fresh clothes) at 2 pm in GVA when I had meetings at 9 am the following day.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Emirates/Air NZ gave us nothing at all after our luggage didn't make our connecting flight when we changed in Perth - Air NZ told us we'd get something after 24 hours*! Given we'd already used up our spare clothes after a missed connection in Dubai (hence the re-routing via Perth to get to Auckland) it was a case of using our money in Auckland to buy emergency clothing which the insurance company picked the tab up for. When we head back to NZ next year I'm taking 2 spare changes of clothing with me!

* We'd previously had bags go AWOL one year previous (why we now take a spare set of clothes in hand luggage) and BA immediately gave us $150 to cover buying essentials so was very surprised and annoyed not to receive anything from ANZ especially as they hadn't a clue where in the world our bags were! Turns out they just didn't make the connection in Perth.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

We never got anything when they lost our wedding bags for 48 hours. Just a "You received it. Good. Great. Sorry for the inconvenience".
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ICH Platinum, Le Accor Platinum, Mariott Silver, Flying Returns Silver, Krisflyer Gold
They gave $100 as compensation. $50 each for both of us. Probably the post worked.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:52 am

Good for you.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by k819
They gave $100 as compensation. $50 each for both of us. Probably the post worked.
Glad you got the compensation, but I doubt very much that the post will have made a difference
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, VS Gold Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold,
After a 10 hour flight delay, no food on the flight from BLR to DXB and then on to JFK almost 24 hours after I was supposed to arrive my baggage did not. I am a gold flying in J and pretty much the service I received from JFK and Emirates is making me rethink my choice of airlines when I fly the 4-5 times a year to India.

I was initially told that it was at JFK and I needed to look some more. Then I was told maybe it was in DXB. I had already had to change connecting flights once and now without any of my possession I decided to just return home. 36 hours after arriving the bag showed up.

Honestly it wasn't just the customer service on the ground but also in flight that I am rethinking things. They just have too many business class passengers and even though its nice it seems like your an afterthought.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Missed connection, bags took 48 hours to arrive. Was given $50 at airport but that was useless as I was on a business trip to a hot country where the population is tiny and the shopping opportunities aren't great (and I was promised bag had arrived in country after 24 hours which was befiore my meetings but it took another 24 to travel 20 miles to me). Had to do a full day presentation to new staff in leggings and a sweater dress I'd travelled in. Now I always carry something suitable for work (jersey wrap dress which is uncrushable) plus swimsuit and cover up. For holiday it's a minor inconvenience.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Missed connection, bags took 48 hours to arrive. Was given $50 at airport but that was useless as I was on a business trip to a hot country where the population is tiny and the shopping opportunities aren't great (and I was promised bag had arrived in country after 24 hours which was befiore my meetings but it took another 24 to travel 20 miles to me). Had to do a full day presentation to new staff in leggings and a sweater dress I'd travelled in. Now I always carry something suitable for work (jersey wrap dress which is uncrushable) plus swimsuit and cover up. For holiday it's a minor inconvenience.
It is really sensible to take stuff in carry on anyway but bags going missing is unfortunate and quite rare for EK unless the connection is really tight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.