Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK Lounge FAQs and updates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by lighthand
Good to know. During long connections I'll know where to go.

In any case I would have thought a central cooling unit, should be installed for the entire airport.
A cooling system is one thing, connecting colder water to lounge showers is another. Given the amount of complaints they got about Concourse B renovations and the fact that only a tiny minority of the tiny minority of people who have access to lounges at DXB - don't forget of course when designing the airport for use, the vast majority of people use it as their place of work (no shower necessary) or are passing through for an hour or two and don't have access to showers - will actually use the showers, I think you will have to wait until major rebuild (or new build, like Concourse A) to see cold water showers in the lounge

I think the Hotel level has cooler water showers, but I haven't been up there for ages and not during summer so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Also as blagger implies, the airport itself is absolutely massive and you would need kilometers of pipework. Is that really worth it considering the only people who benefit from this are an extremely small minority of passengers (taking into account the daily population usage of the airport), who in all likelihood don't let their purchasing decisions get affected by shower water temperature?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
We had the same problem in outback Australia. The trick was to turn the water heaters off and fill up the water heater during the night. The cool water remained insulated in the hot water heater and so you basically operated the handles opposite to marked.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:05 pm

One more question. If I am Skywards Gold flying on a domestic QF flight. Am I entitled to take my partner into the Qantas Club Lounge as well if she is not a skywards member?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by edy4eva
I would advice against having your Skywards number on the QF booking because you would earn peanuts. Just have your Skywards gold card handy to enter the lounge.
I could be wrong, but I do not think it is possible to earn Skywards' Miles on Qantas domestic flights unless the flights are part of an international itinerary (and on the same PNR).

I tried a retrospective claim for a simple domestic flight and got nowhere.

Others may be interested to know that if you arrive in Australia on a oneworld carrier in J and are flying QF domestic Y on the same day, you are entitled to use the Business lounges (by that I do not mean Qantas Club).
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
This problem does not just exist in Dubai but also in all other hubs in the Gulf region. I had the same problem in AUH and DOH and RUH.

You are in the desert and the temperature goes around 50 degrees so don't expect cold water coming in the water lines.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by tusho
One more question. If I am Skywards Gold flying on a domestic QF flight. Am I entitled to take my partner into the Qantas Club Lounge as well if she is not a skywards member?
Only if your partner is also flying on the same flight as you and that flight has a QF or EK flight number.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:58 am

EK Lounge FAQs and updates

Whilst looking forward to enjoying the delights of the LHR lounge last night, I was told at check in that the lounge is closed and to please use the BA Galleries Club lounge. The Club lounge measures up poorly against the Emirates lounge.

- food is of a very poor quality (canteen style) and not a great variety
- drinks selection is average
- champagne only on demand (if you can find a lounge attendant to help you)
- very busy lounge (yes the LHR EK lounge also was busy at times I agree)
- had to queue quite a while to use the bathroom (minor annoyance part and parcel of a busy lounge)

I look forward to the refurb, but I intend to move my London flights out of Gatwick to avoid using the BA lounge at all cost until further notice. Anybody know when the refurb will be complete?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by eckhaya
Anybody know when the refurb will be complete?
Should reopen in October 15
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by eckhaya
Whilst looking forward to enjoying the delights of the LHR lounge last night, I was told at check in that the lounge is closed and to please use the BA Galleries Club lounge. The Club lounge measures up poorly against the Emirates lounge.

- food is of a very poor quality (canteen style) and not a great variety
- drinks selection is average
- champagne only on demand (if you can find a lounge attendant to help you)
- very busy lounge (yes the LHR EK lounge also was busy at times I agree)
- had to queue quite a while to use the bathroom (minor annoyance part and parcel of a busy lounge)

I look forward to the refurb, but I intend to move my London flights out of Gatwick to avoid using the BA lounge at all cost until further notice. Anybody know when the refurb will be complete?
If lounge access is the deciding factor in departure airport, you may never leave LGW - it's always been superior to LHR
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If lounge access is the deciding factor in departure airport, you may never leave LGW - it's always been superior to LHR
Absolutely. I Wonder if people will change their departure airport for a while?
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Seat64A
Originally Posted by edy4eva
I would advice against having your Skywards number on the QF booking because you would earn peanuts. Just have your Skywards gold card handy to enter the lounge.
I could be wrong, but I do not think it is possible to earn Skywards' Miles on Qantas domestic flights unless the flights are part of an international itinerary (and on the same PNR).
The post by edy4eva to which you are replying is over two years old, and was almost certainly good advice at the time. As recently as March I was able to access (domestic) Qantas Clubs with a Skywards Gold card and my QFFF number on the boarding pass.

However, the domestic Qantas Clubs have recently gotten nasty about this; on a recent flight both the Sydney and Canberra lounges insisted that to use the Skywards Gold card they had to reprint my BP with the Skywards number. As a consequence, to access the lounge for a purely domestic trip, I don't earn QF points or status credits and (as you note) I don't earn anything on EK either.

The lounge dragon at SYD was particularly unpleasant about it, and kept insisting that I would be "double-dipping" if I was earning points on QF and using the lounge. (Because, sure, QF Gold members only get one or the other. ) She referred to "the rules" and waved a laminated sheet of instructions which were far more specific than anything on the website. I insisted on seeing the supervisor who came down and gave me the same spiel. They also claimed that they had to have the EK number on the BP so they could charge EK for my use of the lounge, despite the fact that I've been granted access with a QFFF number on numerous occasions in the past 8 months. (They also claimed that all the other lounges, including my previous visits at SYD, were "doing it wrong.")

It was an early morning flight - I only wanted a bloody cup of coffee - but by the time we'd gone through all this I didn't have time for even that, so I collected my BP and card and left.

In CBR on the return the lounge dragon insisted again that it had "always been like this" and he would have to reprint my BP. (I suspect that the SYD supervisor, who said she was "in charge" of the whole QC network, had sent out an email to all lounges.) At that point I had a few hours to kill (he also insisted that he couldn't change my flexible fare to one of the 3 earlier flights ) so I let him reprint the BP and effectively traded a handful of status credits for some hot food and grog.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Question F lounge in terminal 1??

Ive been incredibly lucky.....Flying 6-8 times a month I have not had an EK flight out of terminal 1 in at least 2 years. Unfortunately, I think thats about to change. Does EK still have their own dedicated F lounge in T-1 (the one with the 2 floors and smoking upstairs) or do they use the Dubai Airports F lounge now?

I would assume another option would be using the F lounge at the B gates and asking for them to call a buggy to take me to C
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Ive been incredibly lucky.....Flying 6-8 times a month I have not had an EK flight out of terminal 1 in at least 2 years. Unfortunately, I think thats about to change. Does EK still have their own dedicated F lounge in T-1 (the one with the 2 floors and smoking upstairs) or do they use the Dubai Airports F lounge now?

I would assume another option would be using the F lounge at the B gates and asking for them to call a buggy to take me to C
Yes, they do. They have a business class lounge and a first class lounge. The design is lower key; the business class lounge has more dense seating due to space restrictions but at the end of the day the amenities and food are mostly the same as what you'll find in Concourses A and B.

The First Class lounge has two stories with a large dining area. There is also a sleeping room, similar to the facilities in A and B.

Here is a review and pics of the Concourse C lounge: https://loungereview.com/lounges/emi...ounge-dxb-t1c/

Last edited by Pat Plus; Jun 25, 2015 at 3:35 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
I agree, the Gatwick lounge is nicer.

However, in two respects I prefer the Heathrow one. First, the great tarmac view. Second, direct boarding from the lounge. [Having said that, though, for the able-bodied, some physical exercise before a 6-7 hour flight is no bad thing.]

I have not tried the BA lounge in Terminal 3 but the North and South lounges in Terminal 5 have always been unpleasantly crowded when I've been there. For me, part of an airline lounge experience has to be relative peace and quiet compared with the departures' lounge.

I think it's a pity that, apart from DXB, Emirates' has no first class lounges.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest & HiltonHHonors.
Lounge access at Dublin Airport

Hello F.T'ers,
I've tried to find an answer to my query on this forum, but have failed.
Does EK have its own lounges at DUB? If not, which lounge is available to First passengers?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.