EK Lounge FAQs and updates

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Lounge access as gold

hi,

i am silver but will become gold with next flight (1700 miles short of gold).
after that flight I will have a flight with family.
will I be able to bring them in the lounge in Hamburg and in the business lounge in Dubai?

thanks
marco
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:58 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
hi,

i am silver but will become gold with next flight (1700 miles short of gold).
after that flight I will have a flight with family.
will I be able to bring them in the lounge in Hamburg and in the business lounge in Dubai?

thanks
marco
As a gold member you can invite ONE guest, who has to depart on the same flight as yourself, into the lounge. This applies to all lounges on the network, including partner lounges.
No guests for silver members. And you only have access to the DXB J lounges but you are probably already aware of that.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks.
but since I am silver I am traveling only for work, that means business class.

So i jave to chiose to invite my wife ora my 2 years oli daughter?

thanks
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:15 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
Thanks.
but since I am silver I am traveling only for work, that means business class.

So i jave to chiose to invite my wife ora my 2 years oli daughter?

thanks
You should guest your wife and pay the 50USD charge for the kid. Sadly kids only free in outstations when under 2 years old, but half price up for 2-12 year olds.
Bouncingsouls likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: EK Gold, BAEC Silver
Apologies if this has been addressed previously...

I am soon due to fly LHR-DXB-BKK in F having purchased a Business Saver ticket but used miles to upgrade both legs to F.
I have a near 6 hour layover in DXB and I have just learned that a friend who lives in Dubai will be on the same flight from DXB-BKK flying in J; it would be great to spend some time catching-up with him over a glass or two of sweet sherry!!
I am Skywards Gold so understand I can guest one passenger into the J Lounge, but as I am travelling in F, will I be bale to guest my friend into the F lounge?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Escapade
Apologies if this has been addressed previously...

I am soon due to fly LHR-DXB-BKK in F having purchased a Business Saver ticket but used miles to upgrade both legs to F.
I have a near 6 hour layover in DXB and I have just learned that a friend who lives in Dubai will be on the same flight from DXB-BKK flying in J; it would be great to spend some time catching-up with him over a glass or two of sweet sherry!!
I am Skywards Gold so understand I can guest one passenger into the J Lounge, but as I am travelling in F, will I be bale to guest my friend into the F lounge?
Yes you will, great coincidence!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: EK Gold, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yes you will, great coincidence!
Thanks for the speedy nod!
LOL, co-incidence indeed but to be fair, between us, we travel to Thailand half a dozen times a year so simply using the law of averages, the stars were going to align at some stage!!
Gonna be great to sit down together over a few drinks and a big fat cigar and shoot the breeze!
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum, BA Bronze, And EK silver
LHR OR LGW?

Apologies if this has been discussed before

Ive got an upcoming flight in J on EK and have a choice between LGW or LHR. Lounge wise, apart from being able to board directly from LHR, which is a better lounge? Newer? better catering? etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

den3aah
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:52 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by den3aah
LHR OR LGW?

Apologies if this has been discussed before

Ive got an upcoming flight in J on EK and have a choice between LGW or LHR. Lounge wise, apart from being able to board directly from LHR, which is a better lounge? Newer? better catering? etc...

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

den3aah
I find LGW a better airport to depart from. OK, no direct boarding from the lounge, but the priority boarding at the gate works well. It's quite a walk from the lounge to the gate, including the long escalators up and down the 'bridge'. There are elevators as well if you prefer these.
The LGW lounge is good, no tarmac views (no views at all, actually), but I find the food very good (was there last Thursday for EK16) and the staff is pleasant and efficient. You get a special silver sticker on your BP which lets you into the priority security check. Then the walk though the Duty Free shops is just as annoying as at LHR. But overall, LGW is not the zoo that LHR is.
And although it is a single runway airport, you will find you spend a lot less time waiting for a take off slot. Arriving is even better, I have never been in a holding pattern at LGW (on any airline).
Avoid the Gatwick Express, which is a ripoff but use a Thameslkink train if you want to go to London Bridge or a Southern train to London Victoria (of course there is Chauffeur Drive as well, but I was in Y (Gold member) last time, so did not have that benefit).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: EK Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I find LGW a better airport to depart from. OK, no direct boarding from the lounge, but the priority boarding at the gate works well. It's quite a walk from the lounge to the gate, including the long escalators up and down the 'bridge'. There are elevators as well if you prefer these.
The LGW lounge is good, no tarmac views (no views at all, actually), but I find the food very good (was there last Thursday for EK16) and the staff is pleasant and efficient. You get a special silver sticker on your BP which lets you into the priority security check. Then the walk though the Duty Free shops is just as annoying as at LHR. But overall, LGW is not the zoo that LHR is.
And although it is a single runway airport, you will find you spend a lot less time waiting for a take off slot. Arriving is even better, I have never been in a holding pattern at LGW (on any airline).
Avoid the Gatwick Express, which is a ripoff but use a Thameslkink train if you want to go to London Bridge or a Southern train to London Victoria (of course there is Chauffeur Drive as well, but I was in Y (Gold member) last time, so did not have that benefit).
Totally agree.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Second this. Definitely LGW over LHR anytime!
JudeS likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:30 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
For me what's important is not the lounge as both LHR and LGW are very comparable in terms of setup and offer. Its more of flight timings and where are you going to / coming from in London. As mentioned above LGW provides easy access and quick to London Bridge/Victoria but if you are going to the west end then LHR makes more sense on the road or via the Piccadilly line. Add to that if you are in J/F and have chauffeur drive or just generally prefer a car to public transport then LHR is your best bet vs the long drive to LGW.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Zol
For me what's important is not the lounge as both LHR and LGW are very comparable in terms of setup and offer. Its more of flight timings and where are you going to / coming from in London. As mentioned above LGW provides easy access and quick to London Bridge/Victoria but if you are going to the west end then LHR makes more sense on the road or via the Piccadilly line. Add to that if you are in J/F and have chauffeur drive or just generally prefer a car to public transport then LHR is your best bet vs the long drive to LGW.

Agreed that this is another consideration.

Via public transport I would still opt for LGW, with the exception when you need to be near Paddington and are prepared to pay for the HEX. The Piccadilly line takes an hour to Central London.
Otherwise both London Bridge (for the City) and Victoria (which after all is also West end) are only 30 minutes by train from LGW.

Driving (which of course includes CD), I would agree that LHR would probably be a bit better. But then driving in London is not fun at the best of times although having a chauffeur makes it tolerable.

And although the lounges are comparable, LHR is still a zoo...

Last edited by thijsseh; Oct 2, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: EK Plat
Agreed that this is another consideration.

Via public transport I would still opt for LGW, with the exception when you need to be near Paddington and are prepared to pay for the HEX. The Piccadilly line takes an hour to Central London.
Otherwise both London Bridge (for the City) and Victoria (which after all is also West end) are only 30 minutes by train from LGW.

Driving (which of course includes CD), I would agree that LHR would probably be a bit better. But then driving in London is not fun at the best of times although having a chauffeur makes it tolerable.

And although the lodges are comparable, LHR is still a zoo...
yes, agree its another consideration. However, the journey from LHR can be painful due to the congestion. LGW, on the other hand, can be almost as fast and a much more pleasant journey (assuming CD). For me, its a no brainier. LGW every time. Even next week when Im actually staying North of London (Islington]. Still think LGW is leaps and bounds ahead of LHR. And totally agree - its an absolute zoo, especially T3.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: EK Silver...just
Originally Posted by gillyd22

yes, agree its another consideration. However, the journey from LHR can be painful due to the congestion. LGW, on the other hand, can be almost as fast and a much more pleasant journey (assuming CD). For me, its a no brainier. LGW every time. Even next week when Im actually staying North of London (Islington]. Still think LGW is leaps and bounds ahead of LHR. And totally agree - its an absolute zoo, especially T3.
Wow i'd have always said LHR over LGW everytime when it comes to getting to/from the airport!! Twice ive been sooo late with CD to LGW that we've nearly missed the flight, the traffic to LGW from central London is a nightmare; as is to LHR granted, so surely its worth the HEX which is remarkably easy and quick (yes, costly but surely its worth it if you're already in Premium?). Anyway, just couldn't let this thread go without putting my thoughts in folks FWIW!
Cant comment on the LHR lounge situation with EK though as i always went BA in them days...and that's another story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.