Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK/BE codeshare deal ex MAN,BHX and GLA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...codeshare-deal

Deal to cover 13 routes.

cs
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:30 pm

Would be nice for NQY locals if NQY-LGW was included as that PSO designation would mean no APD to pay on the entire itinerary!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Would be nice for NQY locals if NQY-LGW was included as that PSO designation would mean no APD to pay on the entire itinerary!
I did actually wonder why it wasn't as currently speaking the Ek website would sell me NQY-CCC via LGW and DXB without any problem, obviously currently it will sell me a BE flight on one itinerary not an Ek coded flight.

cs
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Can you (or somebody) explain what you mean here? Gone over my head.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by marconess
Can you (or somebody) explain what you mean here? Gone over my head.
NQY-LGW (indeed, NQY to any London airport) is specifically designated by the UK government as a Public Service Obligation route, which essentially allows the government to subsidise the route in its entirety and not contravene EU state aid rules. http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/...ket/pso_en.htm. It puts out the route to tender and pretty much pays FlyBE hard cash to operate it (different to situations where companies for instance agree to "underwrite" routes by purchasing x tickets).

Quite a few of them exist across the EU, and indeed in the UK - so essentially the government pays for air service to between regions it deems economically critical.

The UK government also exempts entire journeys from Air Passenger Duty (APD) where the first flight of a connected journey is on an non-chargeable aircraft; flights operated under a public service obligation (so not really "commercial") are exempt from APD, therefore starting your journey NQY-LGW-xxx would exempt your entire journey from APD.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tions-from-apd (sections 3.2 and 4)

Other interesting ones would be from the Scottish Highlands to Glasgow and then onwards - certain routes are also exempt.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone out there know when these codeshares will start to appear ?

cs
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Second thoughts iv found them loaded for November15.

To answer the question posted up-thread, it does seem as if NQY-LGW is included in this deal with flights operating as EK4120/1, 4122/3 and 4124/5

And now looks as if they are actually loaded on the EK website from now, for booking today, however doesn't show on fr24 etc

cs
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:39 pm
Bau

Open for sale from 8th of July, open for travel from 15th of July.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:11 pm

If you price it up on the EK site, it shows APD of £71 being applied on a trip to DXB.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by ft101
If you price it up on the EK site, it shows APD of £71 being applied on a trip to DXB.
I find it extremely hard to believe anyone at EK, or especially EK's IT department has a complete understanding of all the little exemptions in UK taw laws After a few people write in and point it out, I hope it should be fixed, otherwise it's just a cash grab by EK...

We have to remember that APD is an indirect tax that is payable by operators of aircraft, not a tax paid by passengers directly (although it is almost always passed on, much in the same way as VAT/Sales tax) - I can assure you that when EK prepares its APD returns, it should be classing NQY-LGW-XXX passengers as exempt passengers, as no duty is liable for them.

Whether they collect an extra £71 or not is up to EK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.