Search

EK considers 777-200LR order

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
EK considers 777-200LR order

MIAMI—Emirates Airline said Tuesday it is considering an order for up to 15 current-generation Boeing Co. 777 aircraft, a move that would help the plane maker transition to a significantly revamped version of the twin-aisle jet.
Emirates may considers 777-200LR order. They will get 5 more 777-200LR will total of 15 77LR.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/emirates...der-1433864803

Let the speculation begin.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:09 am

Given that all non-US destinations can be served with non-LR aircraft, this can only be their way of further punishing the US carriers for their foolish protest.

I'm guessing more non-stop flights to smaller US cities. They may soon have the same route coverage in the US as European airlines!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by stargold
Given that all non-US destinations can be served with non-LR aircraft, this can only be their way of further punishing the US carriers for their foolish protest.

I'm guessing more non-stop flights to smaller US cities. They may soon have the same route coverage in the US as European airlines!
This will add flexibility for new US and maybe South American destinations.

It will be nice to have 77L's with updated ICE HD systems as well.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:49 am

I can imagine AKL and EZE being serviced non-stop....
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: EK Gold
Would you want to do 18+ hours non-stop?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:55 am

I just think it is a possibility among many others....:-)

Last edited by ZRHMD11; Jun 10, 2015 at 10:12 am
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by RichL
I doubt there is the demand for a direct AKL
Old Jun 10, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by RichL
After the 90 minute delay departing LAX a couple week ago due to a lady falling ill before take off and having to disembark with her family and all their bags, we ended up spending almost 19 hours on board. Luckily I was upstairs so nothing to complain about. First world problems ;-)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Kris world, Skywards, QF, CX
I think AKL might be seriously being considered, given that lots of premium customers to Europe, the UK etc actually avoid EK due to the east coast stop in Australia. The question for me would be could they fill the Y class cabin, the cargo uplift would also be a consideration given the anaemic A380 ability over sectors longer than 8hrs or so.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Monarch man
I think AKL might be seriously being considered, given that lots of premium customers to Europe, the UK etc actually avoid EK due to the east coast stop in Australia. The question for me would be could they fill the Y class cabin, the cargo uplift would also be a consideration given the anaemic A380 ability over sectors longer than 8hrs or so.
But we're talking about the 77L here, which AFAIK does not have a cargo capacity problem?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Kris world, Skywards, QF, CX
But we're talking about the 77L here, which AFAIK does not have a cargo capacity problem?
Lost in translation, the 777L could pretty much get back to DXB with a full pax load and around 15T of cargo, which is a consideration given that air cargo rates out of NZ are nothing short of extortion, and thus would be a real revenue gain for EK with time sensitive or perishable items.
I personally think the Y class cabin would be the issue as EK I'm sure could fill most of J and a bit of F along with the cargo holds.
Realistically, the options to get to Europe one stop and avoid the USA are either SIN, or HKG, thats a market EK so far haven't served.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Please no! Not Auckland non stop on a plane without a bar and showers. I do so like my little transit in OZ. Sorry just being selfish.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Why fantasize about what destinations need the range of the -200LR? It's simpler than that: for some destinations the 777-300ER is simply too large, the A330 is being phased out, so a smaller plane is needed. That would be the -200. The only version of the -200 that is still in production is the -200LR.

EK will do with those new -200LRs what it already does with -200LRs today: fly them to destinations that do not require the range of the -200LR, but simply don't justify more capacity. Think new destinations at the beginning of their lifetime.

If on top of that EK suddenly decides that it needs to fly nonstop to Papeete, Santiago or Christchurch, it'll have the planes to do that.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Why fantasize about what destinations need the range of the -200LR? It's simpler than that: for some destinations the 777-300ER is simply too large, the A330 is being phased out, so a smaller plane is needed. That would be the -200. The only version of the -200 that is still in production is the -200LR.

EK will do with those new -200LRs what it already does with -200LRs today: fly them to destinations that do not require the range of the -200LR, but simply don't justify more capacity. Think new destinations at the beginning of their lifetime.

If on top of that EK suddenly decides that it needs to fly nonstop to Papeete, Santiago or Christchurch, it'll have the planes to do that.
There's always the 787-10

More seriously though, I agree with your point on this - rent out some 777-200LR for now (5-10 years), use them on those routes that fit the profile. After all, EK doesn't have anything smaller than this with which to try out routes
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: EK, QF, VA
Originally Posted by albaonthego
Please no! Not Auckland non stop on a plane without a bar and showers. I do so like my little transit in OZ. Sorry just being selfish.
Agree with you totally @albaonthego. Nothing beats a nice relaxed drink in the bar on a 388 in the early evening as you cross the Tasman from AKL, followed by a few more on the leg to DXB. Sets you up for a perfect sleep as you head out across the Nullabor and over the Indian Ocean. I'll take that any day over a non-stop AKL-DXB on a 772.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.