Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Missed connection at DUBAI refusing compensation EC 261

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates Missed connection at DUBAI refusing compensation EC 261

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Katamarino
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...ompens-446871/

Emirates has been refused leave to appeal against the judgement ordering them to pay up over flights such as these. Any updates from people who have tried? Until now they have simply sent me canned refusals against my attempt to claim for a flight ex-AMS.
Thanks for this. We have a case with EK at this moment - they just refused two weeks ago to honour the judgement saying it was going to appeal. So we'll try again in the next couple of days!
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Just on jurisdiction, I think non EU carriers may find it difficult to deny jurisdiction if the ticket was purchased in the EU.

There is sufficient nexus as to the location of formation of the contract to invoke jurisdiction IMHO.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Just on jurisdiction, I think non EU carriers may find it difficult to deny jurisdiction if the ticket was purchased in the EU.

There is sufficient nexus as to the location of formation of the contract to invoke jurisdiction IMHO.
I don't see why it makes any difference. Either the journey is one covered under regulation or it is not - place of purchase makes no difference
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see why it makes any difference. Either the journey is one covered under regulation or it is not - place of purchase makes no difference
EC261 is only enlivened if jurisdiction is itself enlivened. EC261 is a creature of statute and not jurisdiction itself.

The application of EC261 is only available if the airline submits itself to the jurisdiction of EU law.

There is therefore IMHO no argument available to non EU airlines in respect of the application of EC261 to tickets purchased in the EU which someone posted up above non EU airlines were trying as a defence. That’s the point I was making.

Where do airlines voluntarily submit to jurisdiction of the EU? Presumably this is by way of accepting terms of landing rights etc
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller

EC261 is only enlivened if jurisdiction is itself enlivened. EC261 is a creature of statute and not jurisdiction itself.

The application of EC261 is only available if the airline submits itself to the jurisdiction of EU law.

There is therefore IMHO no argument available to non EU airlines in respect of the application of EC261 to tickets purchased in the EU which someone posted up above non EU airlines were trying as a defence. That’s the point I was making.

Where do airlines voluntarily submit to jurisdiction of the EU? Presumably this is by way of accepting terms of landing rights etc
Non-EU airlines haven’t denied the applicability of EU261 to flights departing the EU, and place of ticket purchase hasn’t been raised as far as I’m aware.

What they have tried to argue is that EU261 can only apply as far as the first non-EU point, that is, that you look at individual flights, not the journey.

But that’s not based on place of ticket purchase.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
If you end up making a claim through a 3rd party, do you end up on any type of black list that the airline manages? I ask because in this day of meta-data on everyone, could there eventually be negative consequences in trying to purchase future tickets with the airline?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DirtyDan
If you end up making a claim through a 3rd party, do you end up on any type of black list that the airline manages? I ask because in this day of meta-data on everyone, could there eventually be negative consequences in trying to purchase future tickets with the airline?
No. They still want your money!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 5:25 am

Hi kalashinikov, I read through your case and would like to give you some information about claiming compensation for missed connection flights. EU Rule states that passengers that miss a flight connection because their previous flight was delayed have right to claim compensation. However, compensation can be claimed only when the connecting flights are part of a single contract of carriage (If the flight is booked in the same leg). Now that you've got a reply from Emirates, I wish you luck and hope that you can get compensated.

I hope my answer helped.
DYKWIA likes this.

Last edited by Clarke_Barry; Mar 30, 2018 at 3:46 am Reason: Corrections
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:54 am
Original Poster

So as the thread originator i wanted to break from norms. And give you the ending to this long-winded affair with emirates.

Long story short... they paid my legal costs + 600 Euro x 4 for all travelling party members. Money in the bank. Thanks for all the contributions.

have a nice day.

Originally Posted by Clarke_Barry
Hi kalashinikov, I read through your case and would like to give you some information about claiming compensation for missed connection flights. EU Rule states that passengers that miss a flight connection because their previous flight was delayed have right to claim compensation. However, compensation can be claimed only when the connecting flights are part of a single contract of carriage (If the flight is booked in the same leg). Now that you've got a reply from Emirates, I wish you luck and hope that you can get compensated.

I hope my answer helped.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by kalashinikov
So as the thread originator i wanted to break from norms. And give you the ending to this long-winded affair with emirates.

Long story short... they paid my legal costs + 600 Euro x 4 for all travelling party members. Money in the bank. Thanks for all the contributions.

have a nice day.
^
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But only ex UK EK is still fighting missed connections out of other EU ports
kalashinikov likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
But only ex UK EK is still fighting missed connections out of other EU ports
Indeed, because it was the UK supreme court which refused leave to appeal. I reckon they won't worry too much about having to pay out ex-UK now (it just recently took a mere two days to get my friendly approval reply for a claim for EUR600.- from EK) as this will necessarily end by April 2019. So for them the big difference will be to try to fight ex-EU for the long-run...
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by overseasplease
Indeed, because it was the UK supreme court which refused leave to appeal. I reckon they won't worry too much about having to pay out ex-UK now (it just recently took a mere two days to get my friendly approval reply for a claim for EUR600.- from EK) as this will necessarily end by April 2019. So for them the big difference will be to try to fight ex-EU for the long-run...

well people with missed connections from uk better get there speed boots on with regard to putting in a claim. Things could change very soon
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by kalashinikov
well people with missed connections from uk better get there speed boots on with regard to putting in a claim. Things could change very soon
While it is the least of the issues which the UK confronts as the result of Brexit, I am not certain why anyone would speak with such certainty as it seems clear that should Brexit proceed, there is no dispute but that the UK will "domesticate" existing EU laws such as EC 261/2004.

Switzerland, by way of example, is not a Member State, but has enacted the Regulation as part of Swiss law. The otherwise precedential decisions of EU courts do not bind Switzerland, but the Regulation, as written and interpreted by Switzerland does.

More than likely that EC 261/2004 and its interpretations by UK courts will continue to apply.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
While it is the least of the issues which the UK confronts as the result of Brexit, I am not certain why anyone would speak with such certainty as it seems clear that should Brexit proceed, there is no dispute but that the UK will "domesticate" existing EU laws such as EC 261/2004.

Switzerland, by way of example, is not a Member State, but has enacted the Regulation as part of Swiss law. The otherwise precedential decisions of EU courts do not bind Switzerland, but the Regulation, as written and interpreted by Switzerland does.

More than likely that EC 261/2004 and its interpretations by UK courts will continue to apply.
Plus surely even if it no longer applies one could still claim as it applied at the time of the incident, laws at the time matter, not three years later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.