Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

5h10 in CDG - go into town or not?

Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat

Hey all,

I am flying VLC-CDG on UX, CDG-DXB on EK in F this month.

UX does not have interline with EK, I would have to either use left-luggage or try to check-in early.

I would love not to have to stay in CDG for the 5h10m connection in CDG but I'm not sure it's feasible to go into town.

So here are my questions:

- does EK check-in open early?
- can I order chauffeur for later than 3-hours-prior as offered on ek.com?

Any other suggestions/ideas welcome.

Thank you!

J
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: KLM, UA, Emirates, Marriotts
I can't answer your EK related questions, but I wouldn't venture into town if you really only have 5h10 between the two flights!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
5 hours between flights is really not that much - particularly when delays may eat into that, and given that airlines like you to check in/arrive at the gate ridiculously early. You'll also have to collect your luggage on arrival, and get yourself from 2F to 2C. EK check-in will probably be just about ready to open by the time you make it across.

Unless you know Paris and the transport system well, you probably will have just arrived in the city when you would have to turn on your heel and head back to the airport. And if you know Paris well, then it's hardly worth ducking into town for such a brief sojourn, unless you have a paramour you wish to see [though that could be dangerous, tempting you to miss your flight!] or something else quite specific to see/do/buy/visit.

I would forget about heading away from the airport just to get the Emirates chauffeur to collect you. Instead, I'd stay at Roissy and enjoy the Emirates lounge for longer.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:39 am

Hi,

I live in Paris, and I think it's definitely too short.

This (just a few examples) may take a lot of time :

- Immigration (+ Security). Quick with F though,
- Traffic in Paris (and nearby). Can be awfull.. From CDG to Paris Center : at least 45 minutes, but it can be way worse (1h / 1h30).
- Public transportation. Slow and sometimes unreliable (surprise strikes, accidents..).

I would suggest you to not do it, but if you want to gamble with Paris, why not

S
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Don't do this at CDG....

As others have pointed out, 5:10 is actually not that much time.

In other european airports like LHR, AMS, etc. it is definitely doable an I have done this many times, especially if you are in J/F and have "Fasttrack" access. But CDG is one of the most disorganized airports in europe (IMO). So, I definitely wouldn't do it at CDG. The airport is also not that close to the city center. In AMS, for instance, you can be from the boarding door to the city center in 45 minutes if you take a train. Not true for CDG.

Enjoy the lounge!

TFD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.