Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Does Emirates fly over ISIS zone from Europe to Dubai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:16 am
Original Poster

I am considering flying Emirates from Europe (Prague) to Asia via Dubai... but I am worrying if Emirates fly over ISIS-controlled region on its way from Europe to Dubai???

Is it safe to fly this way? Does ISIS have missle to shoot down aircrafts? If the flight crashes in ISIS region, you can get captured by ISIS?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:20 am

If your flight crashes in ISIS controlled territory i would be more worried about hitting the ground at 800kph than becoming a prisoner.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
If your flight crashes in ISIS controlled territory i would be more worried about hitting the ground at 800kph than becoming a prisoner.
there is chance of survival. if you do survive, you might get your head cut off by ISIS.

but does Emirates still fly over Iraq region controlled by ISIS? Or Emirates is taking longer route to avoid Iraq and other war zone in middle east?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Emirates has avoided Iraqi airspace on routes to/from Europe since last summer and flies over Iran instead.

You can see the path of the most recent PRG-DXB flights here:
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ek140#5b1d1c4

I can't fault you for an abundance of (misguided) caution, but you do realize that you're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to/from the airport in PRG or wherever in Asia you are going to, than at the hands of ISIS ... after surviving a plane crash.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:48 am

Your simple, honest, and straight forward answer is no EK will not fly over Iraq, nor Syria so don't worry.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:56 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
there is chance of survival. if you do survive, you might get your head cut off by ISIS.
I think you might be best not flying any of the ME3 if this is your general perspective...
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: free agent
I flew few times with EK (recent as last Jan)... usually fly over Iran, and I think EK feel it's worth to take longer route to dodge unnecessary risks.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:26 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
The GCAA prevents UAE airlines from flying over Iraqi airspace unless their destination is Iraq.

So, you will probably fly over Iran.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
By all accounts, it appears that both EK and EY are taking a sensibly cautious approach (as mandated by the GCAA). QR on other hand.....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...raq-again.html
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

So, I guess I can conclude that it's perfectly safe to fly Emirate from Europe to Dubai... nothing to worry about flying over ISIS zone, etc...?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: EK Gold
So, I guess I can conclude that it's perfectly safe to fly Emirate from Europe to Dubai... nothing to worry about flying over ISIS zone, etc...?
Yes you will be fine, you will avoid all that. I fly it all the time.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
In this crazy world, ISIS is not the only threat. Though EK flies round Syria and Iraq, lots of crazy people have missiles and can easily shoot down airliners. Russia, Ukraine, Israel, Hezbollah in Lebanon, Iran, and even western navies in the area. Remember US Navy shooting down an airliner in 1988 ... Not to mention aliens who most probably abducted MH370.
You have higher probability to get involved in a car accident ...
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Poster

So, is flying over Iran safe? Isn't Iran being sanctioned for having nuclear weapon?

I think Emirates also flies over the eastern part of Turkey, which of course is another place where terrorists are active. Tourists touring Turkey are advised not to go to eastern edge of the Turkey bordering Iran (I was told such when I was in Turkey).....
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:40 am

So, is flying over Iran safe? Isn't Iran being sanctioned for having nuclear weapon?

I think Emirates also flies over the eastern part of Turkey, which of course is another place where terrorists are active. Tourists touring Turkey are advised not to go to eastern edge of the Turkey bordering Iran (I was told such when I was in Turkey).....
If you mean is there any specific additional risk of flying over Iranian airspace? Considering hundreds of aircraft from all over the world fly over Iranian airspace every day (and don't forget, most countries don't mind overflying aircraft because each aircraft means government revenue), then I wouldn't say there is anything particularly special about flying over Iran, no. Iran isn't an active warzone like Ukraine is where people on the ground had sophisticated anti-air missile systems.

If aircraft routes are your top safety concern, I would suggest that your risk calculations are being overly influenced by media coverage and emotions - perhaps your questions should be directed more towards maintenance and safety standards as well flight crew mental health instead of flight plans to put your mind at ease.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If you mean is there any specific additional risk of flying over Iranian airspace? Considering hundreds of aircraft from all over the world fly over Iranian airspace every day (and don't forget, most countries don't mind overflying aircraft because each aircraft means government revenue), then I wouldn't say there is anything particularly special about flying over Iran, no. Iran isn't an active warzone like Ukraine is where people on the ground had sophisticated anti-air missile systems.

If aircraft routes are your top safety concern, I would suggest that your risk calculations are being overly influenced by media coverage and emotions - perhaps your questions should be directed more towards maintenance and safety standards as well flight crew mental health instead of flight plans to put your mind at ease.
well, i definitely feel better flying over Iran than flying over ISIS controlled territory like Syria or Iraq.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.