Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

ADVICE - EK Won't Honour My Purchased Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ADVICE - EK Won't Honour My Purchased Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta

So in this case, the OP will get a price in NZD, which will be the EUR price converted to NZD at the current ROE (which will change from time to time).

But the fact is that ticketing in NZ will ensure that the ticket value will be converted to NZD before ticketing, and the CC company will convert it back to EURwhen the ticket is issued.

Dave
I'm not sure that I follow you. There are no 'dedicated country sites' with EK. Selecting a country for the website is just so the special offers and marketing materials are pulled according to the market. When searching for a fare the country of departure is always SI irrespective of what country profile was selected. Ticketing on the other hand could take place either in the same country of departure OR the UAE.

The only time a ticket can be issued TO (like for instance NZ on a EU-NZ return trip) is if the process is done over the phone with a local office, in person at the office or through a local TA in NZ.

Adding to the other points, this is no mistake fare. EK didn't publish a F fare for 1000EUR. What happened is that the booking interface had a glitch where it incorrectly labelled or displayed a Y fare as F. I've had this happen to me numerous times. The only way to verify the fare is to look up the fare conditions (my gut feeling says the OP did not bother with taking a snapshot for that). Sure EK is at fault with this technical issue (can be called misleading).

Dave Noble summarised what the OP could do.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:50 pm

With regards to the ticket issuing discussion:
All EK online tickets are issued by EK's nominal travel agency in the UAE - their IATA agency designation is 86491845 (which is stated on all eTickets issued by EK if you buy through the website), which can be checked at https://www.checkacode.com/GlobalDat...CodeEvaluation

So for the purposes of ticketing, all of the tickets bought through EKs website are ticketed out of the UAE - when you use the website, the online conditions of sale are available which state that you are contracting with Emirates, a Dubai corporation.

With regards to International Sale Indicators: SOTO/SITI etc. - these are now deleted terms (as of 15 Jan 2005) partly because the European Commission basically ruled that charging people for identical flights from different points of sales was illegal (in the EU) and also to make things simpler with the introduction and mandatory use of e-Ticketing.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xd8d47WHNOMJ:www.galileo.com/NR/rdonlyres/F10EE92C-2677-4539-B9D9-81D94E1D7ED6/0/PAIATAFareRuleChanges15JAN05.doc
http://www.airlineinfo.com/ostpdf33/899.pdf

With eTickets, agents across the world can issue tickets from anywhere, so what happens is the point of origin check is there simply for fare validation purposes and currency/payment checks. The technical difference was that fares would be the same fare basis/fare code, but have different prices depending on this SOTO/SITI etc. flag on the ticket. With eTickets, that became irrelevant (and legally dubious in many jurisdictions) and therefore it was resolved simply to have different fares based on the country of departure instead. That way, it would be easier to comply with any local legislation affecting the Air Transport agreements (like the Brazil YQ thing) by having fares sold only on a country of origin basis, even though they can be sold/ticketed anywhere else by any IATA member.

With regards to the point about New Zealand having some sort of jurisdiction because they visited a co.nz website: I'm not sure whether simply ownership of a domain whose registry is delegated to New Zealand gives NZ courts any jurisdiction over any transactions between a foreign entity who owns that website with an individual who is located outside of NZ in and of itself. That would be similar to a US court having jurisdiction over a civil dispute simply because the website had a .com top level suffix. (Actually EK does this when you are redirected to the .com booking engine).

EK, like all airlines/agents post 2005, sells only fares valid from the country of departure and it is an arrangement between an individual and a Dubai corporation and any legal dispute is likely to be in the jurisdiction of where the individual is physically located when making the purchase with EK, rather than anything to do with ticket origins/website domains.

However - airlines can of course refuse to honor fares for any reason, or in this case honor the issued fare. Dave Noble has succinctly given the OP available reasonable recourse options.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If the system was indicating that it was selling a 1st fare,
... which the OP has to prove (e.g. with screenshots). That is my point.
Without that proof, a free refund is a gesture of goodwill on behalf of EK.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:14 am

I had a similar glitch a week or two ago, looking up some fares on the iPad app – the offer to upgrade to J was suspiciously cheap (a one-way upgrade adding only ~25% to the total fare).

I took some screenshots and tried to book, but app froze and wouldn't complete the payment – perhaps fortunately, if I otherwise would have had to go through the hassle of claiming a refund.

It's worth trying in case you get lucky, but don't hold a grudge against EK if they won't honour the fare. If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by edy4eva
I'm not sure that I follow you. There are no 'dedicated country sites' with EK. Selecting a country for the website is just so the special offers and marketing materials are pulled according to the market. When searching for a fare the country of departure is always SI irrespective of what country profile was selected. Ticketing on the other hand could take place either in the same country of departure OR the UAE.
Ok, my bad, didn't realise that that is the way EK does it. With QF if you use the (as an example) SIN QF site, then it is regarded as being issued in SIN, and so on.

Ignore my post then.

Dave
Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Smile Update!! 5 years on!

Hello all,

was doing a bit of an inbox clean out over the last few days and stumbled across an old eticket.

I am the OP of this thread and never actually replied to your postings way back in 2015!

Anyways, many of you replied with your thoughts on the matter. I'll give you a VERY BRIEF low down on what this thread was dealing with!

I purchased an insanely cheap (incorrectly priced?!) mixed class return ticket from Germany to New Zealand. Outbound in Economy, inbound in First. Booked, paid, received e-ticket only to discover I was booked for all legs in economy.

Anyways, a lengthly back on forth with Emirates seemed like a dead end until I finally received an email from EK reissuing the ticket in the class that I had booked in.

Many on here were sceptical/held a lot of doubts as to the veracity of what I was claiming at the time.

I've attached some screenshots below - the email from EK plus the reissued ticket. The iPhone screenshot is the very first booking confirmation showing price and classes booked.

My silence on here at the time had to do with the last sentence of the email from EK customer service!! Anyways, enough time has passed now surely!

I'm happy to go into more detail if wanted. I guess I got lucky. The trip was great!

Old Oct 9, 2020, 8:40 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by simmstar
Hello all,

was doing a bit of an inbox clean out over the last few days and stumbled across an old eticket.

I am the OP of this thread and never actually replied to your postings way back in 2015!

Anyways, many of you replied with your thoughts on the matter. I'll give you a VERY BRIEF low down on what this thread was dealing with!

I purchased an insanely cheap (incorrectly priced?!) mixed class return ticket from Germany to New Zealand. Outbound in Economy, inbound in First. Booked, paid, received e-ticket only to discover I was booked for all legs in economy.

Anyways, a lengthly back on forth with Emirates seemed like a dead end until I finally received an email from EK reissuing the ticket in the class that I had booked in.

Many on here were sceptical/held a lot of doubts as to the veracity of what I was claiming at the time.

I've attached some screenshots below - the email from EK plus the reissued ticket. The iPhone screenshot is the very first booking confirmation showing price and classes booked.

My silence on here at the time had to do with the last sentence of the email from EK customer service!! Anyways, enough time has passed now surely!

I'm happy to go into more detail if wanted. I guess I got lucky. The trip was great!

Of course we believe you on the strength of the evidence presented, but a picture of a glass of Dom in front of the F IFE screen would have been even more convincing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.