Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Quick Question Regarding Ticketing Mistake -- Am I trouble??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Question Regarding Ticketing Mistake -- Am I trouble??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Quick Question Regarding Ticketing Mistake -- Am I trouble??

Hello forum! I recently bought an economy class ticket from Kolkata to Dubai on Emirates through the emirates website. However, after I paid for everything and received my ticket, I realized that I forgot to write my middle name while filling in the details. My middle name is included in my passport but not in my ticket. All other details such as my first name, last name, passport details, etc are completely correct.

I contacted emirates over the phone and they said that they cannot make any name changes to my ticket. And since I bought the cheapest ticket possible, I cannot change or refund my ticket. However, the emirates representative said that he added a note to my ticket indicating that my middle name was erroneously omitted and he wrote out my full name in the note. My Dubai visa has my full name as it is written on my passport.

So my question is this - will I be able to board my flight? Will there be any complications at Kolkata or in Dubai? Has anybody else made this mistake, have you faced any significant issues? Please help me out. I'm getting very nervous because I cannot cancel or change my ticket.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
So long as your first and last name are included in your ticket and correct, you should not face any issues. The middle name is optional.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for getting back to me! This has been really stressing me out.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
This is no problem. Even if you misspelled your first or last name by one or two characters it won't matter.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: EY Plat, EK Plat, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond
As others have mentioned, no issues at all. Have never added my middle name to any ticket.

A previous work travel agent used to frequently mix my (and everyone's!) names around as well - last name as first name, first as last etc... No issue there either.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:54 am

Wish it was like that in Vietnam, made the mistake once of having my fiancee's two middle names around the wrong way, VN were fine with it, an over zealous security guard wouldnt let her through security as names didnt match.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Funnily enough I only realized yesterday that I never use our nanny's last name when booking tickets for her - I only use her first name and middle name (which I thought was her last name). Just as I did when I set up her Skywards account too. Never had a problem with EK ...... yet.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Funnily enough I only realized yesterday that I never use our nanny's last name when booking tickets for her - I only use her first name and middle name (which I thought was her last name). Just as I did when I set up her Skywards account too. Never had a problem with EK ...... yet.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:28 am
Original Poster

thanks for reassuring me!! I feel much more at ease now. I will update this thread after my flight and let you all know how my experience goes. Its my first time flying EK so I don't know what to expect.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by keemakebab
thanks for reassuring me!! I feel much more at ease now. I will update this thread after my flight and let you all know how my experience goes. Its my first time flying EK so I don't know what to expect.
Don't worry. There wouldn't be any ' kabab mein haddi'

(For those who don't know hindi, I couldn't resist laughing at the OP's username. ' Kabab mein haddi' means finding bones inside your kabab while eating , a fairly popular hindi slang used when things don't go well)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Haha thanks ukdoctor!! I'm looking forward to a good flight. I wonder if its a faux pas to request a glass of wine in a morning flight. I guess we'll find out in another couple of days lol.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
I book all my tickets omitting my middle name, as it is one less piece of information where someone could make an error. With first and last names only, even if they are reversed there is rarely a problem.

What is important for some countries such as USA, Australia etc. is that the API must match your passport exactly including any middle names. This is either requested separately during OLCI, or scanned from your passport at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.