Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade chances DXB to a choice of which Australia city

Upgrade chances DXB to a choice of which Australia city

Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:00 pm
bsd
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, NZ Gold Elite
Question Upgrade chances from DXB to NZ via which Australia city

Traveling on a Saturday in July 2015 from DXB to AKL. Have a choice of EK406, EK412 or EK434 - so via MEL, SYD or BNE.

We are wanting to ticket in C, and then use Skyward miles to upgrade to F for the DXB-Australia sector. All three are similar time-wise so that is not part of the equation. All three are A380 so neither is cabin size a factor. The fare is the same - also not a factor.

Any thoughts on the best choice (i.e. lightest load in F) to maximize the chances of success with an upgrade request?

Also, when should I request the upgrade - as soon as ticketed? If not successful, does it waitlist, or do you just keep applying?

Last edited by bsd; Nov 27, 2014 at 12:15 pm Reason: made the title more relevant
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:38 pm

All 3 flights are tough to begin with, let alone you're after more than a F seat during July departing UAE on a weekend. It's difficult to say to be honest but given I was able to see some seats on 434 more often than the others that would be my bet.

And what you're gonna struggle with is getting DXB-AU upgraded as a standalone leg unless you get this leg ticketed as separate altogether, showing DXB-BNE//BNE-AKL as onward journey rather than DXB-AKL (with a technical stop) or DXB-BNE-AKL with BNE a stopover.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by bsd
Also, when should I request the upgrade - as soon as ticketed? If not successful, does it waitlist, or do you just keep applying?
Not clear if you're hoping for a free upgrade (op up) or looking to use miles.

No op up will be given until, at best, T-1 when OLCI opens up. Usually it's at the airport/lounge/gate.

If you want to use miles you can check if there Z class availability on Expert Flyer for your specific flight or try to book a Skywards Saver First award ticket on emirates.com before you buy the ticket.

After you buy the ticket, you can try to upgrade the ticket online, but it's the same availability as on EF.

Waitlisting for an upgrade is hit or miss and requires calling in.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Since you're looking to use miles to upgrade, you will need to check (as mentioned by extramileage) for Z fare class availability. If, however, you find that there is nothing currently available, then personally I wouldn't be bothered trying to predict which of the routings you list are likely to offer the best prospects. May as well choose the flight that actually suits you, and then just take your chances.

Emirates are particularly tight these days when it comes to opening up award/upgrade inventory. Their wish to protect revenue is understandable, but there is also a balance to be struck in allowing loyal pax who have built up miles to make use of them

All in all, better to manage your expectations, and just keep fingers crossed that it will come good near to departure, or even on the day itself.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by subject2load
Since you're looking to use miles to upgrade, you will need to check (as mentioned by extramileage) for Z fare class availability. If, however, you find that there is nothing currently available, then personally I wouldn't be bothered trying to predict which of the routings you list are likely to offer the best prospects. May as well choose the flight that actually suits you, and then just take your chances.

E
Once you do ticket, you can always continue to monitor Z class availability across all flight options and if it opens up on another flight comes up you can consider changing to that one if the change fee (TBD) is acceptable to you.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Flying from GLA to and from AKL earlier this year I was able to upgrade from J to F at the DXB lounge on the outward journey and at AKL check-in desk on return. Perhaps worth keeping in mind as Manage My Booking, Expert Flyer and telephone calls to EK up to and including the day of travel failed to reveal any upgrade availability.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by albaonthego
Flying from GLA to and from AKL earlier this year I was able to upgrade from J to F at the DXB lounge on the outward journey and at AKL check-in desk on return. Perhaps worth keeping in mind as Manage My Booking, Expert Flyer and telephone calls to EK up to and including the day of travel failed to reveal any upgrade availability.
Handy to know - similar experience with a booking made in June for Jan departure GLA-MEL in J. I've tried virtually daily in MAB and made quite a few phone calls to get J to F upgrade to use up 80k miles we each have but every time - 'sorry, there are no upgrade seats available in the class you are looking for.... blah, blah' and phone operator says the same.

What is the point of a scheme which sees miles accumulate and you can't use them (it seems)? I don't want to spend 20k miles getting a Ł30 watch either.

I'll try at GLA and DXB and KUL and MEL and SIN for upgrades and see what happens.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
OzTennis - your point is well-made re use of miles. You really shouldn't have to beg to redeem them.

I think EK's dogged determination to protect revenue to the extent that they will happily risk the goodwill of their most loyal customers is a real black mark against their otherwise (mostly) positive image.

It's one thing to limit availability of reward tickets/upgrades within reason (they're running a business, after all) BUT to refuse them consistently on flights that remain empty, or even half empty, in the F cabin, during the weeks preceding departure, is quite another. And then when it comes to flight day, and there's still lots of space, they say "ok, so we didn't sell all those seats in F that we were convinced we were going to sell, and we will reluctantly let you use your miles now"

I really find this approach of we will give rewards only when it suits US, rather than when it suits our most "valued" customers, totally disingenuous.

It's a pity Emirates aren't as pro-active at allowing miles redemption as they are at sending regular emails telling Skywards members of all the benefits supposedly available to them.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:10 pm
bsd
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies - I'm the OP.

I took out an expertflyer subscription as one previous poster suggested. And just to confirm, this is actually a PAID (in business class) itinerary from Europe to New Zealand, with a stopover in DXB. I have enough Skywards miles to upgrade from DXB to New Zealand (availability permitting)

As many have said this is probably going to go to the wire, and if there is an upgrade going, this is much more likely at the airport (check-in, or lounge, or onboard) rather than in advance. So, it probably is not worth tweaking a routing and try to guess which one of EK406 (via MEL), EK412 (via SYD) and EK434 (via BNE) has the best chances for Z availability.

My follow-up question is;

Can you, when checking-in at DXB (at the C counter) ask if any of the three flights to NZ have Z availability (all three leave within 10 minutes of each other) and then possibly pay the change fee if your booked flight doesn't have Z but one of the other two flights do have Z seats, and then apply the upgrade? And, I'm assuming they would not let you follow this strategy after checking in, because they would want you and your checked luggage on the same flight.

Last edited by bsd; Nov 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm Reason: to make more informative
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bsd
Can you, when checking-in at DXB (at the C counter) ask if any of the three flights to NZ have Z availability (all three leave within 10 minutes of each other) and then possibly pay the change fee if your booked flight doesn't have Z but one of the other two flights do have Z seats, and then apply the upgrade?
I am pretty sure you can do this, but do remember that it is not just the change fee but the 'fare difference' as well, which just a couple of hours before departure can cause significant damage to your wallet or plastic if the flight is anywhere close to full.

If F isn't full, then you can upgrade on-board as well (and since you have a ton of miles, I assume you also have status with EK?) even if they don't open up the Z inventory.

I don't have much experience of flying EK to Aus/NZ but as a regular on the JFK route where F and J routinely sell out before Y, I would have probably said from my experience that mid-week there is a good chance that F will not be full. Weekends can be a different matter altogether.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:29 pm

Please remember, if you check in on board it will only get you upgraded for the sector you are on, not the full trip. ie only the DXD to Oz sector, not the Oz to NZ.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:46 pm
bsd
Original Poster

What is the actual procedure for upgrading using Skywards miles 'on board'?

This would be if you hadn't been able to upgrade at the lounge or at the gate?

So, you board with the business class passengers, and then ask to talk to the purser? Their system shows your mileage balance?

And, does early boarding help?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bsd
So, you board with the business class passengers, and then ask to talk to the purser? Their system shows your mileage balance?
Correct. The purser has a laptop which shows available miles balance. Besides, its also printed in the pax manifested that is printed out after check-in is closed.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by bsd
What is the actual procedure for upgrading using Skywards miles 'on board'?

This would be if you hadn't been able to upgrade at the lounge or at the gate?

And, does early boarding help?
I find it best to board early to make sure no one bags the seat before you do in the case there's only seat left and more than one person wants it

Ask the person at the door/purser that you want to upgrade with miles - they will probably ask you to sit at your original seat first then come and talk to you whilst on the ground. The purser has a tablet now with the seatmap/manifest and passenger information which includes things such as your skywards card/mileage balance, notes by previous pursers or customer service about previous flights e.g. if you have made a complaint and future travel plans. The system will automatically know the mileage required to upgrade and it's just a few presses to process it (and an email to arrive in your inbox). However the tablet will ask the purser to confirm you have both your passport and physical skywards card on you and see it - but you can upgrade anyone you like (assuming you are silver or above), they don't need to be Skywards members.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:56 pm
bsd
Original Poster

OP here - bumping this up seeing the DXB-SYD-AKL flight no longer operates, and there is the new nonstop DXB-AKL flight. My question is similar though .... but the collective wisdom may have changed.

Traveling on a Tuesday in Feb 2018 from DXB to AKL. Have a choice of EK406, or EK434, or EK448 - so via MEL, or via BNE, or direct.

We are wanting to ticket in C, and then use Skyward miles to upgrade to F for the DXB-Australia sector, or DXB-AKL if direct. All three are A380 so that is not part of the decision. The fare is the same - also not a factor.

Any thoughts on the best choice (i.e. lightest load in F) to maximize the chances of success with an upgrade request? We have enough Skywards miles for the upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.