Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Are miles charged for fuel surcharge for upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank

It’s not news that EK have been devaluing Skywards from perhaps one of the most generous programmes in the skies to something very much more miserly. One of the Scrooge-like cuts was to start exacting additional miles for fuel surcharges on top of the miles required for the fare.

I’m trying to find out what the policy is on upgrades using miles, and would be grateful for responses from members who have recently made upgrades with miles. Are miles charged for fuel surcharge on upgrades made in advance (either online or by phone) or at check-in?
Also, does anyone have experience of making an onboard upgrade recently? Were additional miles taken for the fuel surcharge?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no additional surcharge for a miles upgrade

Where taxes are different ( e.g. for a departure from the UK ) then the additional taxes cost will be applied , but that is cash not miles
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:45 am

I just did an ex-UK upgrade on board with miles: no fuel surcharge, no additional APD to pay either. Only 25000 miles (flex upgrade one class).
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I just upgraded to f, no extra miles were taken
Old Oct 27, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank
Thanks to all for responding, useful and much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.