Wiki Posts
Search

Extra fees for onboard upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank
Extra fees for onboard upgrade?

I've upgraded on board in the past and have been charged only miles, no extra cash fees. Has this changed? Has anyone upgraded on board with miles recently, and were there any additional cash fees beyond the actual miles?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What route were you upgrading where additional fees were applied? Is it one where the taxes vary based on class of travel?

eg for economy ro business ex UK, for example, the standard rate of APD should be applied which would be GBP69, 85 or 97 depending on the destination of the trip

I did an upgrade a few days ago (not onboard but in advance) from AKL-SYD and was charged no fees
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I did an upgrade a few days ago (not onboard but in advance) from AKL-SYD and was charged no fees
oops, stopped flying F lately, eh Dave...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by jackiedada
oops, stopped flying F lately, eh Dave...
For AKL-SYD, one of the main reasons for going 1st class is that the fare difference was less than the cost of taxis at either end. I did fly 1st class for AU-UK return recently though so , no , not stopped :P
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:15 pm

eg for economy ro business ex UK, for example, the standard rate of APD should be applied which would be GBP69, 85 or 97 depending on the destination of the trip
Difference in taxes do not apply if the upgrade is processed onboard. BTW, UK, Lebanon and Pakistan are the only countries within the EK network that apply varying taxes based on class of travel.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Difference in taxes do not apply if the upgrade is processed onboard. BTW, UK, Lebanon and Pakistan are the only countries within the EK network that apply varying taxes based on class of travel.
The tax is still due to be paid to UK by Emirates whether applied onboard or in advance; whether EK chooses to charge this on to the passenger is another matter
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards, JL Mileage Bank
Some time ago.

What route were you upgrading where additional fees were applied? Is it one where the taxes vary based on class of travel?

Thanks for your response. I'm sorry if my posting was not clear - I have never been charged any extra cash fees for on board upgrades, but these were some time ago, before the iniquitous new policy of adding both cash for taxes and cash or extra miles for "carrier imposed charges" was introduced for upgrades prior to boarding. Upgrades were from both economy to business and business to first. The routes were always just one segment between MAN and TYO (NRT) and included both MAN and DXB departure segments.

What I really want to find out is if anyone recently has made an on board upgrade using miles (on any route or segment) and whether or not they were charged any fees, either in either cash or in miles, for either taxes or for any kind of carrier imposed charges (including fuel surcharge.) Can anyone help?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyobuta
Thanks for your response. I'm sorry if my posting was not clear - I have never been charged any extra cash fees for on board upgrades, but these were some time ago, before the iniquitous new policy of adding both cash for taxes and cash or extra miles for "carrier imposed charges" was introduced for upgrades prior to boarding. Upgrades were from both economy to business and business to first. The routes were always just one segment between MAN and TYO (NRT) and included both MAN and DXB departure segments.

What I really want to find out is if anyone recently has made an on board upgrade using miles (on any route or segment) and whether or not they were charged any fees, either in either cash or in miles, for either taxes or for any kind of carrier imposed charges (including fuel surcharge.) Can anyone help?
Only miles for an onboard upgrade.

I might by trying the double upgrade trick soon if I can't get d class!
Old Aug 29, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyobuta
Charging the correct taxes in advance is nothing new for upgrades. For the upgrades that you recently did what was the journey and how much was the charge?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:50 am

My man dxb flight is sold out 22 on the 15 sept in j

I'm currently waitlisted for j but unless a seat appears I'm stuck in y. How easy is it to get hold of the purser to ask to do an onboard double upgrade?

I mean in j or f the purser is around but don't see them when you are in y! I can imagine getting into my y seat asking to speak to the purser and them ignoring me and not bothering to even come over! I'd also rather get it done before take off!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m3red
How easy is it to get hold of the purser to ask to do an onboard double upgrade?
Is that even possible? I think if you are able to upgrade with miles to J before hand, then you should be able to upgrade on-board to F. I am not sure if the Purser can upgrade you directly from Y to F by deducting double the miles?
Originally Posted by m3red
I mean in j or f the purser is around but don't see them when you are in y!
I think the best option would be to go and speak to the Purser just as you enter the a/c, even before you've made it to your seat - ask the SFS or any of the crew. If you are on the A380, then choose a seat in the first mini-cabin as that is where the Pursur sits, so you can just ask him/ her as soon as he/she returns back.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:44 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Is that even possible? I think if you are able to upgrade with miles to J before hand, then you should be able to upgrade on-board to F. I am not sure if the Purser can upgrade you directly from Y to F by deducting double the miles?

I think the best option would be to go and speak to the Purser just as you enter the a/c, even before you've made it to your seat - ask the SFS or any of the crew. If you are on the A380, then choose a seat in the first mini-cabin as that is where the Pursur sits, so you can just ask him/ her as soon as he/she returns back.
There have been a couple of reports of doing double upgrades on board. I think mrtdxb may have been one of them.

I actually find Y on the A380 tolerable for the shorter flights. The first row in the middle had loads of legroom.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:47 am

It's a 77w and you can double upgrade at the discretion of the purser apparently.

Second y flight of the year is a possibility #dubaiproblems
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There have been a couple of reports of doing double upgrades on board. I think mrtdxb may have been one of them.
In my case I had already upgraded from Y to J with miles beforehand and then successfully upgraded from J to F as soon as I boarded. Twice to date with no issues at all. I have not yet gone for the big one - a double upgrade on board - and kind of hope that I never need to as at my advanced age I would not want to fly Economy unless there was no other option at all.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
In my case I had already upgraded from Y to J with miles beforehand and then successfully upgraded from J to F as soon as I boarded. Twice to date with no issues at all. I have not yet gone for the big one - a double upgrade on board - and kind of hope that I never need to as at my advanced age I would not want to fly Economy unless there was no other option at all.
I find it unlilkely that all airlines are sold out in business class between UK and Dubai that day, so should be able to avoid economy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.