Emirates Complaints

Old Aug 18, 14, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, B.A, AMEX Platinum, LH
Emirates Complaints

Does anyone have a direct email that emirates actually reply to?

Im getting really p***ed off with emirates. I have been skywards gold for around 5-6 years and the customer service is a joke.

I have sent a direct email to [email protected] 5 days ago. This was after emailing directly on the website 1 week before that and still no one has contacted me. I will be calling them (AGAIN) tomorrow if no reply today but if anyone has an email address that EK actually respond to I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

My complaint is below:

I sent an email into emirates several days ago and I still have not had a reply from emirates regarding this. I would be VERY grateful if someone could reply to this email. This is the reason why I am emailing directly to this mail address.

I have to be honest and state that I am now starting to get really annoyed with Emirates. If this is the way you treat Gold Card members (for several years now) then I would hate to see how first time users of Emirates are treated. As mentioned in the original mail, I have got my company to change many staffs tickets from AF/KLM to Emirates and I really do not know why I have done this if this is the way that frequent fliers are treated (all of the travellers that have changed do a minimum of 6 return journeys per year with most doing around 10)

Please read the email below and I would appreciate a reply as soon as possible.

I recently booked a flight from DXB to CGK in Business Class. I have a companion reward ticket issued through MBNA bank. The terms of this award are that if I Book one Flex Reward ticket, I am issued another saver ticket free with only the taxes to pay.

I called up emirates on 3 occasions before finally being able to make the booking. The first call was over 30mins, the second call 45 mins and I was told that I could call back the next day and all would be ready. I called the next day, and again, was over 50mins on the phone to make this booking.

It seems that Emirates staff don't seem to be aware of this ticket offer. When I called the second time, I was quoted 8045 DHS for the ticket. I was then informed that they still could not issue both tickets and put on hold again. At this stage I said I would call back the next day to make the booking as I could not stay on the public phone on my ship much longer.

When I called the next day the lady (very helpful) knew nothing of the promotion also and I had to go through the whole thing again. When it finally came to paying for the ticket, the price was now over 10,000 DHS for this and 2000 for my wife. I am really not happy with this as it took 3 days of phoning to make a simple booking. I have now also been informed that the hotel I was booking in Bali is now full as I could not book my indonesian internal flights until the emirates one was completed.

May I add that the staff on the phone were very courteous and helpful but I do have to say that I cannot believe I spent well over 2 hours on the phone (over 4 days) for a simple reward booking..

I work for an oil company and have in the last few months got my company to change many staff tickets to emirates instead of AF/KLM as I had nothing but praise for the airline. I am really starting to wonder if that was a good idea.

I am currently on my ship so I can only be contacted via email . I would appreciate a response via email for the time being.
Old Aug 18, 14, 7:41 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
IMHO the best way to view emails like your one to Emirates are that they are a way to get it off your chest by having a rant. It feels so much better afterwards and then one can get on with life. Expecting a meaningful answer does not help, it only prolongs the angst and hoping to get some kind of compensation is futile in most cases. Take comfort from the fact that you know that the response is most likely to be a canned one along the lines of "we are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations on your recent flight with us and we look forward to seeing you aboard another flight soon" - then when such a reply duly arrives in your inbox you can be happy knowing that you were right. This mental approach works wonders for me!
Old Aug 18, 14, 8:11 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
It gets even better . I once sent an email EK to comment on the excellent service by the crew / purser and got 10000 skywards miles for the inconvenience caused
Old Aug 18, 14, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The email is way too long. If you have a concern, raise it in 2-3 short declarative sentences and then specify exactly what you want done about it. These can better be addressed quickly and should focus on your specific issue and not provide extraneous detail, e.g., "I was on hold for too long and then the soup was lukewarm."

If you have generalized concerns such as yours, you can reduce those to:
1. Wait times are too long
2. Agents were not trained to handle my specific issue

As others note, these will eventually receive a canned response because that is all that can really happen. Not as though EK will call in every agent in the world for remedial training.
Old Aug 18, 14, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I can understand the frustration felt by the OP at the sheer discourtesy and lack of response by Emirates. Their 'on the ground' service so often contrasts poorly with what is (mostly) a high quality in-flight experience. I think the suggestions by Often1 are pretty sound.

Comments by mrtdxb and ukdoctor above remind me of an old legendary story which did the rounds for several years, and which some of you may have heard. It concerned a complaint supposedly made to some or other rail company (fairly sure the tale is apocryphal, so it matters not which....) and the apparently personalised reply it received .....

A wealthy gentleman was badly bitten by bugs while riding on a certain railway line. Arriving at his destination, he wrote the company an indignant letter and received a prompt reply. It was, said the letter, the first complaint the company had ever had of this nature. Inquiry had failed to reveal any explanation for this unprecedented occurrence. Nevertheless, a number of new precautions were being taken to make absolutely certain such an unfortunate incident never happened again. The letter was signed by a high official of the railway.

The gentleman was well satisfied with this reply and was returning it to the envelope when a slip of paper fell out onto the floor. The hastily scribbled note on it read: "Send this guy the bug letter."

Old Aug 18, 14, 11:02 am

Programs: EK Silvert, QF, SQ Gold
It surprises me that airlines like Emirates have huge marketing budgets and try so hard to attract new customers, and yet do not make the extra effort when good, reliable customers raise issues. Yes the hard product and the lounge facilities and skyward benefits (which are very useful for me) represent a significant investment. But I think feedback from the most loyal customers should be valued, and seen as an opportunity to identify problems and fix them. In July I had to go through the usual website complaint process - a platinum level skywards member flying almost exclusively in first and business class writes to complain about delayed baggage three flights in a row from my home port (to LGW, HKG and BEY). I thought I would get a 'Thank you for the email, there must be a problem in this particular station, we will investigate why it is happening and try to resolve it, and sorry for the inconvenience caused and we will do our best to ensure this does not happen again.'

Instead I got the canned 'Your views and feedback are valuable to us and will help us continue to enhance our service standards.'

So I cancelled the future flights I had (I need my bags when I travel, fully understand they sometimes go missing, and three times in a row is unlucky, but I need Emirates to understand this is a problem that needs resolving, not treat it as just another missing luggage complaint). Qatar Airways has been the recipient of my most recent business, bags arrive no problem, and I like the change. All it would have taken for Emirates to retain my business was to acknowledge there is a recurring issue, and assure me they would try and sort it out. Maybe diverting some of the effort of attracting new customers into training customer service reps in identifying when it is appropriate to escalate and not use standardized canned responses would also yield a decent return on investment. But in saying that, Emirates seems to keep filling it's planes, it gets lots of positive reviews, it keeps making money and I guess it thinks it is doing something right. I don't think anyone at Emirates cares I am not sitting on their planes anymore!
Old Aug 18, 14, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, B.A, AMEX Platinum, LH
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The email is way too long. If you have a concern, raise it in 2-3 short declarative sentences and then specify exactly what you want done about it. These can better be addressed quickly and should focus on your specific issue and not provide extraneous detail, e.g., "I was on hold for too long and then the soup was lukewarm."

If you have generalized concerns such as yours, you can reduce those to:
1. Wait times are too long
2. Agents were not trained to handle my specific issue

As others note, these will eventually receive a canned response because that is all that can really happen. Not as though EK will call in every agent in the world for remedial training.
I think what people are not realising here is that the hassle ended up costing me over 2000AED more (around 325GBP) because of the delays. They said the price had now went up!!!

ALso, the attachment was 2 emails, not one.

And, no matter what, if Emirates wants to portray itself as the fastest growing and one of the worlds leading airlines, then they should have the courtesy to reply to customers who spend thousands on flights every year. (and whose companies spend hundreds of thousands)
Old Aug 18, 14, 10:39 pm

Let me preface this reply by saying I in no way approve or condone the poor and inconsistent customer service responses that some posters in this thread have received!

However, I think that mrtdxb's advice is sound and will do much more for your happiness than getting additionally stressed or dwelling on a service failure for too long. Definitely send in the complaint, then do what you need to do, whether that's cancel all your tickets, post on flyertalk, etc. etc. - waiting for a response that will probably not come, or if it does, be insufficient to assuage your now amplified unhappiness due to the compounded irritation of delays, is just wasting your own time and energy I think. From the airline's point of view, threats to move business are heard thousands of times a day - and most of those are probably acted upon. But for every person who vows never to fly with EK again, you have people who have done the same for QR or EY or LH or BA or whichever airline: the actual demand for air travel between various points has not changed and so in the end, x amount of people and cargo need to get from a to b in z amount of time. There's only so much capacity and scheduling that is available and I think airlines know this. And so customer service is going to be a department that will chug along doing what it does until there's a noticeable effect on revenue and load factors that they can pinpoint due to customer service. Which I have to admit in the history of the airline industry is going to be really unlikely. People keep flying. They grumble, but they pay the money. The accounts that EK really want to keep? That's what commercial account managers and iO status is for.

In the end, regard your complaint as a rant to get off your chest and regard compensation or even acknowledgement as a bonus and you should have fewer grey hairs: it's not about "letting EK off the hook", it's about your own mental wellbeing. After all, who's going to win in an emotional battle, you, an individual who feels a sense of being aggrieved, or a faceless corporation that just doesn't care? There are better battles to fight, I think...!
Old Aug 19, 14, 12:27 am

Programs: Skywards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by StublueKPL View Post
Does anyone have a direct email that emirates actually reply to?...

I have sent a direct email to [email protected] 5 days ago. This was after emailing directly on the website 1 week before that and still no one has contacted me. I will be calling them (AGAIN) tomorrow if no reply today but if anyone has an email address that EK actually respond to I would be grateful...

I called up emirates on 3 occasions before finally being able to make the booking...
StublueKPL, which phone number did you use to call Emirates?

According to the MBNA website:

"To book your Emirates Skywards Companion Reward, ring +44 844 800 2777 and identify yourself with your Emirates Skywards membership number to the answering agent."
Old Aug 19, 14, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by didoob View Post
Qatar Airways has been the recipient of my most recent business, bags arrive no problem, and I like the change.
I've been hanging around the QR sub forum here on Flyertalk for a while since they announced flights from my local airport. There seems to be a higher percentage of disgruntled passengers, with a lower opinion of their service levels, over there than there is here.

Your change may turn out to be "out of the frying pan and into the fire". Lets hope not.
Old Aug 19, 14, 1:45 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Emirates Complaints

I agree with FT101 and have travelled on QR abit. I think it will be a far worse experience the complaints process and new airport while it goes through not inconsiderable teething issues. On board is good but a different experience to EK so depends what you prefer.

As an aside if I were plat with a compliant I probably would follow up with a call to the plat line am sure they would then follow up more effectively.
Old Aug 19, 14, 2:27 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Havoc10G View Post
I agree with FT101 and have travelled on QR abit. I think it will be a far worse experience the complaints process and new airport while it goes through not inconsiderable teething issues. On board is good but a different experience to EK so depends what you prefer.

As an aside if I were plat with a compliant I probably would follow up with a call to the plat line am sure they would then follow up more effectively.
I agree that the grass is not always greener.

Ek are hit and miss on complaints but have you tried BA?! Awful.
Old Aug 19, 14, 10:00 am

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I guess hit & misses just about sums it up.

Thus far I have been quite fortunate that all my questions, complaints and concerns are followed up promptly (less then a week).
Old Aug 19, 14, 10:46 am

Programs: EK, BA, EY, SQ, IHG, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by Havoc10G

I agree that the grass is not always greener.

Ek are hit and miss on complaints but have you tried BA?! Awful.
Bloody Awful in fact!!
Old Aug 20, 14, 1:48 pm

Programs: EK Silvert, QF, SQ Gold
Actually I have now used QR three times, all using the new airport. Everything has been 100% fine. Lots of helpful staff on the ground. Maybe I am lucky, and most of the issues at that airport have been resolved. I do like the on board experience, I did love a new 787 Plane, the staff were fabulous and faultless and I slept five hours which is a record for me. As Havoc10G says, it is a different experience onboard, and I have had so many fabulous EK crews, but I think I prefer the QR experience. Both fantastic, but I prefer the on-board QR approach. And my bags arrive. This is a deal breaker for me.

Maybe the rose colored glasses will come off at some point, but so far I feel like Qatar is like emirates of few years ago, when nothing ever went wrong, but when it did, you felt like you had communicated with someone who cared. Maybe I need for something to go wrong at QR and see how they really compare.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: