Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
So how does it work with a short stopover in DXB?
I am/was on a J CPT/AMS/CPT ticket. As normal, only CD offered in CPT and AMS.
Then I had to change the date of the return flight. The 'layover' (I don't think that's the right term, but anyway) of the new fight is actually shorter than the old one (2.5 hours instead of 4). But MMB now offers me CD in AMS, DXB*2 and CPT. Surely this is an error?
It is. Changing a flight often causes it to be split into 2 segments in the reservation, i.e. CPT-DXB and DXB-AMS instead of CPT-(DXB)-AMS
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Left DXB yesterday, on the way to the airport, the chauffeur drive introduced himself, and it turns out he was also from Pakistan, and he had some interesting and some not so surprising points to share.

1) The management treats all the CD drivers like crap.
-I was genuinely curious to know how much they're paid for 12hr shifts, but it was obviously too rude to ask.

2) The driver's dad is an A380 captain for EK, at first I had my doubts and found it a bit hard to believe, till I asked his name and realized I had heard the name before, I later confirmed with a relative that that guy really is an A380 captain. Apparently he is also treated like crap, although that too is not surprising, considering some of the stuff I've read on PPRuNe.

3) According to the driver, CD management also changed recently, and it was their idea to bring the BMW 520i cars for J, however he said costs have gone through the roof since the fuel and maintenance costs for these are much higher than the Volvo V70s. He followed up to say that they haven't fully removed the V70s from service, and plenty of them are still around because the management is still deciding what to do.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by murtaza12
Left DXB yesterday, on the way to the airport, the chauffeur drive introduced himself, and it turns out he was also from Pakistan, and he had some interesting and some not so surprising points to share.

1) The management treats all the CD drivers like crap.
-I was genuinely curious to know how much they're paid for 12hr shifts, but it was obviously too rude to ask.

2) The driver's dad is an A380 captain for EK, at first I had my doubts and found it a bit hard to believe, till I asked his name and realized I had heard the name before, I later confirmed with a relative that that guy really is an A380 captain. Apparently he is also treated like crap, although that too is not surprising, considering some of the stuff I've read on PPRuNe.

3) According to the driver, CD management also changed recently, and it was their idea to bring the BMW 520i cars for J, however he said costs have gone through the roof since the fuel and maintenance costs for these are much higher than the Volvo V70s. He followed up to say that they haven't fully removed the V70s from service, and plenty of them are still around because the management is still deciding what to do.
Little surprised to hear about the fuel costs. I currently drive a BMW (2015 320i) and as a student had an older '95 318i. The old one used a crap ton of fuel but the new one has a 8-speed gearbox and eco mode and I get very good mileage (comparable to entry level hatch backs for highway driving, if not better), given the DXB traffic and lengthy CD drives in Sheikh Zayed (when there isn't traffic) and from the rest of the UAE I'd imagine similarly good economy, especially in a diesel (around 100-120kph is the sweet spot)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Little surprised to hear about the fuel costs.
So was I, one would assume the newer cars (with smaller engines too), would cut back on fuel costs but apparently not.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Apologies if this has been covered already. In the past, if I upgraded with miles or got an op-up from Y to J, I would be able to make use of CD into DXB (only DXB). This last time I was denied. Then granted. Then denied.

Perhaps it remains if you upgrade with miles (I had an Op-Up.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by ghostwrita2
Apologies if this has been covered already. In the past, if I upgraded with miles or got an op-up from Y to J, I would be able to make use of CD into DXB (only DXB). This last time I was denied. Then granted. Then denied.

Perhaps it remains if you upgrade with miles (I had an Op-Up.
If you upgrade with miles you are eligible for CD everywhere that it is offered. Op-ups don't qualify but historically showing up at the CD desk in DXB they'd arrange a car on the spot, perhaps now they police this more strictly in regard to op-ups.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If you upgrade with miles you are eligible for CD everywhere that it is offered.
As long as you also meet the 48 hour advance booking requirement.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ft101
As long as you also meet the 48 hour advance booking requirement.
Yes but that's not specific to miles upgrades
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Thanks for the tip re. BKK arrival (turn right from Exit C, go to Door 5) - I would have had absolutely no idea where to go unless I had read it on here.

Got an E class which was 2 generations ago (W211), but I suppose still preferable to taxis. But this is one of the oldest cars I've ever gotten out of EK/EY anywhere.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by stargold
Thanks for the tip re. BKK arrival (turn right from Exit C, go to Door 5) - I would have had absolutely no idea where to go unless I had read it on here.

Got an E class which was 2 generations ago (W211), but I suppose still preferable to taxis. But this is one of the oldest cars I've ever gotten out of EK/EY anywhere.
Yes, can be a bit of a lottery at BKK - I've had everything from that old E class up to a brand new 7-series.

And a 10 seat minivan. For one.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold

Still doesn't beat the ancient but extremely tough Volvo's back at DXB

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Yes, can be a bit of a lottery at BKK - I've had everything from that old E class up to a brand new 7-series.

And a 10 seat minivan. For one.
Got the Mercedes Viano people carrier in DXB, also for one. Just felt a bit awkward, one guy, one bag, huge vehicle.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am traveling with my family(we are in J, there are 8 of us) and our maid(she is in economy) from SIN-DXB and back. Will the maid be allowed to ride with us?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
I am traveling with my family(we are in J, there are 8 of us) and our maid(she is in economy) from SIN-DXB and back. Will the maid be allowed to ride with us?
Yes, assuming there is enough room.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:40 am

Chauffeur in Prague

Seems like OP is sorted, so figured I'd post my own questions here. Booked my dad on Emirates J as a treat (KUL>DXB>PRG) but have never flown it myself and we are flying from different locations so I'm a bit of a nervous nelly at the moment.

1) If my dad's cell is not local (i.e., Malaysian cell), will he still get a phone-call/text confirmation for his Prague pick-up/drop-off?

2) Is there a way to confirm with the company via email (rather than call)? I'm nervous about things getting lost in translation over the phone

3) On the way back, would I be able to hop into the car with my dad to the airport (I'm on a different flight) or would they take issue with this? I'm actually considering just booking a car with the hotel for ~30 Euros just to avoid the coordination but seems silly to turn down a free car. But I also don't want to run into any issues with getting to the airport to catch our flights.

4)*one more question! At Arrivals, the sign they hold up will clearly be noted that they are from Emirates, right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suziemay
Seems like OP is sorted, so figured I'd post my own questions here. Booked my dad on Emirates J as a treat (KUL>DXB>PRG) but have never flown it myself and we are flying from different locations so I'm a bit of a nervous nelly at the moment.

1) If my dad's cell is not local (i.e., Malaysian cell), will he still get a phone-call/text confirmation for his Prague pick-up/drop-off?

2) Is there a way to confirm with the company via email (rather than call)? I'm nervous about things getting lost in translation over the phone

3) On the way back, would I be able to hop into the car with my dad to the airport (I'm on a different flight) or would they take issue with this? I'm actually considering just booking a car with the hotel for ~30 Euros just to avoid the coordination but seems silly to turn down a free car. But I also don't want to run into any issues with getting to the airport to catch our flights.

4)*one more question! At Arrivals, the sign they hold up will clearly be noted that they are from Emirates, right?

Thanks in advance!
1) Drop off from airport to destination in the city usually doesn't warrant a text message from the company.
As for pickup, the chauffeur company will either call or text him, and yes, not having a local number isn't an issue. As long as his roaming is enabled and he's able to receive calls/texts on that number.

2) Directly with the chauffeur company? Probably not. You can email EK for confirmation or message them on Twitter. In my experience, once I called in about chauffeur pickup in DXB and the guy emailed a copy of the chauffeur confirmation to the email address on file for the booking.

3) Drivers usually don't mind so yes, you can hop in.

4) Not really sure about that, someone else may be able to comment. Your dad's name will probably be on the sign though.

I've got the link to the Chauffeur Drive thread in my signature, first post should have a local number in Prague that you can call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.