Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by JTXC
Emirates replied to my query on Twitter, noting that it depends if the fare conditions formally allow a stopover. She said to check the fare conditions after you have selected all flights on the itinerary but before booking.
I think that means she didn't know and didn't want to ask anyone so waffled some nonsense hoping you won't come back. Sometimes you're glad they don't have a rep on here doing the same.
Old May 23, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
Well, I checked the fare conditions and it does allow stopovers, so I shall assume so.
Old May 24, 2019, 2:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Well, I checked the fare conditions and it does allow stopovers, so I shall assume so.
Pretty sure a 'stopover' is defined as > 24 hours. If it's less than 24 hours, it's a connection.
Zol likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Booked First class reward tickets on 11/1/18 for a flight on 6/2/19. Was told at time of booking that it would include the Chauffeur service. When I paid for the tickets I was told that I had until 48 hours prior to departure to arrange my chauffeur. Went online to do so today and told they would not honor my request. What other paid for service will they no longer honor? Should I pack my own meal in case they decide to take back meal service as well? Annoyed. So much for "first class" service.
Old May 24, 2019, 9:39 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by donjo
Booked First class reward tickets on 11/1/18 for a flight on 6/2/19. Was told at time of booking that it would include the Chauffeur service. When I paid for the tickets I was told that I had until 48 hours prior to departure to arrange my chauffeur. Went online to do so today and told they would not honor my request. What other paid for service will they no longer honor? Should I pack my own meal in case they decide to take back meal service as well? Annoyed. So much for "first class" service.
Phone them and explain the situation. Stick to the facts. As it was a reservation made before 1 March, you should still be eligible for CD (unless I have misunderstood it and one had to book the CD before 1 March as well). Award bookings made after that date no longer qualify for that perk. Showing your annoyance using silly examples about meal service is not going to assist you in getting this sorted.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:00 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by WLG Base
I got an E Class. Only one person taking pax out to the cars. I had to wait inside then I had to wait outside in the heat waiting for a car to arrive. I was travelling in F.

I had an E Class pick me up as well for trip back to the airport.
E Class arriving in F yesterday also (at least it was almost brand new). Having read about the wait I was pretty glad my suitcase came off first so I was the first person to the desk and was able to jump into one of the couple of cars already waiting.

Almost exactly the same car but a different colour for F to STN the day before.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Phone them and explain the situation. Stick to the facts. As it was a reservation made before 1 March, you should still be eligible for CD (unless I have misunderstood it and one had to book the CD before 1 March as well). Award bookings made after that date no longer qualify for that perk. Showing your annoyance using silly examples about meal service is not going to assist you in getting this sorted.
I'm now being told the CD had to be booked before March 2019. As I mentioned my flights were purchased in 2018 with the CD as an advertised benefit. They said they notified affected customers. I was not notified, and the phone agent was unable to tell me exactly how they notified us. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that supervisors do not speak to customers about issues that have already been addressed by a regular customer service rep. This is the first time I am flying this airline. Just seems like an odd way to do business all around. Makes one wonder what other unpleasant surprises await.
Old May 25, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by donjo
I'm now being told the CD had to be booked before March 2019. As I mentioned my flights were purchased in 2018 with the CD as an advertised benefit. They said they notified affected customers. I was not notified, and the phone agent was unable to tell me exactly how they notified us. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that supervisors do not speak to customers about issues that have already been addressed by a regular customer service rep. This is the first time I am flying this airline. Just seems like an odd way to do business all around. Makes one wonder what other unpleasant surprises await.
They sent an e-mail, you probably missed it, perhaps it was marked as spam.
Old May 26, 2019, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
They sent an e-mail, you probably missed it, perhaps it was marked as spam.
Perhaps. But perhaps not. I find it an odd idea that the time of finalising pick-up details should make a difference. The contract was set when OP booked the ticket and paid, in whatever form. I'd push things a bit if I were in OPs position. Not sure you'll have much luck, I'm sure there's something buried deep in the T&Cs indicating that the CD is not part of the purchase or something, but I'd still give it a go.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Question about Hong Kong, minimum pickup time

I have an ex-HKG to DXB flight next week.

I'm trying for pickup at 6am for a 7:50am flight. But the best they'll give me is 5:50am, and the agent really pushed for 5:30am or earlier. I understand the agent has a job to do and I am happy to "bear the risk" as she described if I miss my flight (I won't...) My two questions are:

1.) Will there be any issues if I make the driver wait briefly, until 6 or 6:10am? (I will tip the driver generously for his/her inconvenience). There will be no risk of missing the flight.
2.) Is this a rule that I can't get a car less than 2 hours before?

I've had fine experiences with CD on arrival in Hong Kong before, but had this pickup problem the last few times departure ex-HKG and I think we just booked my own car. I realize the timing sounds tight and I see where they're coming from, but from my home on Hong Kong Island to the airport, I have the timings down pat and there is no risk. I just want to sleep more and just want to arrive and board.

Also, has anyone had any problems with late CD pickups ex-HKG? Is the pickup service reliable?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
CD in Sydney

Flying into SYD in September..any idea what the new company is like?
Old May 27, 2019, 3:54 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I have an ex-HKG to DXB flight next week.

I'm trying for pickup at 6am for a 7:50am flight. But the best they'll give me is 5:50am, and the agent really pushed for 5:30am or earlier. I understand the agent has a job to do and I am happy to "bear the risk" as she described if I miss my flight (I won't...) My two questions are:

1.) Will there be any issues if I make the driver wait briefly, until 6 or 6:10am? (I will tip the driver generously for his/her inconvenience). There will be no risk of missing the flight.
2.) Is this a rule that I can't get a car less than 2 hours before?

I've had fine experiences with CD on arrival in Hong Kong before, but had this pickup problem the last few times departure ex-HKG and I think we just booked my own car. I realize the timing sounds tight and I see where they're coming from, but from my home on Hong Kong Island to the airport, I have the timings down pat and there is no risk. I just want to sleep more and just want to arrive and board.

Also, has anyone had any problems with late CD pickups ex-HKG? Is the pickup service reliable?

Thanks in advance.
EK will not book a car with less than 2.5hrs to departure except in DXB where if you live within close proximity to the airport or call up they will allow 1.5hrs and 2hrs respectively. However, for the CD company in HKG, its a different story. They will know the route and traffic conditions and will either oblige or stick the booked time. Book the car with EK and then once you are in HKG, ring the local office and change the pickup time.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by blurt91

Flying into SYD in September..any idea what the new company is like?
I used the new company 3 weeks ago. No noticeable different, except for the change from 40km to 80km driven distance.
blurt91 likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Zol
EK will not book a car with less than 2.5hrs to departure except in DXB where if you live within close proximity to the airport or call up they will allow 1.5hrs and 2hrs respectively. However, for the CD company in HKG, its a different story. They will know the route and traffic conditions and will either oblige or stick the booked time. Book the car with EK and then once you are in HKG, ring the local office and change the pickup time.
Thanks for the response.

Maybe I am extra persuasive. But, after some wrangling got EK to agree to pickup 2 hours out provided I agreed to "take the risk", whatever that means, presumably of missing the flight. I'm not sure which call center I was talking to, but it sounded busy in the background which led me to believe it *wasn't* Hong Kong, where I currently am.

Anyway, I'm keen on getting picked up even later than that, so I'll talk to the company a day or two before I suppose when they call. IIRC the CD companies usually call before to confirm things.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Does anyone know whether if a stopover in the UAE of fewer than 24 hours results in no Chauffeur drive. I am thinking of booking a flight that entails arriving in DXB at 1500 and leaving at 0900 the next day.

I had a flight many years ago where I arrived at 1830 and left at 1500 the next day and I think chauffeur drive was not available, but I may be wrong.

On my trip last year ( Saver J from MAN -DXB-DEL return ) , I had only a 4 or 5 hour stopover at DXB both ways .

The website showed only the drop off at MAN and pick up at DEL as the options but the App (could have been mobile site)was showing me the option of booking a car at DXB on arrival and departure.

Since it was a short transit I did not leave the airport but thought I will post this info here..

Last edited by ukdoctor; May 29, 2019 at 5:23 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.