Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:43 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by thijsseh
The chauffeur drive feature on the EK website was changed a bit a few months ago.
The distance allowed used to be either 'driven miles' or 'radius'. But now it says 'distance covered' (which suggests 'driven miles') and at the same time shows a red circle (which suggests 'radius'). Any idea what it actually is?
I need to go from LHR to Canterbury. Canterbury is within the 'red circle'. But at the same time, it is 111 driven miles! I have booked a car on MMB (there are two of us, on separate PNR's, but of course only one car booked). What will happen on arrival at LHR? Also, for some other destinations the website gives a rate per excess mile to be paid to the driver, but for LHR it just says 'includes all London postcodes 'and nothing about excess mileage. So will they just refuse to take us?
Normally we fly to LGW, which is less than 70 driven miles, so not an issue. But there were no J Saver fares to LGW available when we booked, hence the change to LHR.

In the past we have happily paid excess mileage in AMS, so I am not averse to paying for the excess now either. But I don't want to find out on arrival that we have to take the tube to Victoria, a train to Canterbury East and taxi or walk home.....
Just an update on the above for the benefit of others:
I phoned the call centre about a week before the flight and asked the 'radius' vs. 'driven miles' question. The agent was sure that it was 'radius' for London and offered to check in some sort of app they seem to have. I gave my postcode but the app was confused about that. In the end we left it that as long as my destination was inside the red circle on the web page it would be OK (and if it was further I could pay the driver by card).
On arrival I asked the dispatcher if my address was inside CD 'range' and he confirmed that it was the case. A few minutes later, we were on our way on a 1 hour 50 minute drive. To do this by public transport would of course have been entirely possible but uncomfortable with bags on the tube to Victoria and then a train. A major 'faff'!

Excellent outcome! ^
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:19 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Just an update on the above for the benefit of others:
I phoned the call centre about a week before the flight and asked the 'radius' vs. 'driven miles' question. The agent was sure that it was 'radius' for London and offered to check in some sort of app they seem to have. I gave my postcode but the app was confused about that. In the end we left it that as long as my destination was inside the red circle on the web page it would be OK (and if it was further I could pay the driver by card).
On arrival I asked the dispatcher if my address was inside CD 'range' and he confirmed that it was the case. A few minutes later, we were on our way on a 1 hour 50 minute drive. To do this by public transport would of course have been entirely possible but uncomfortable with bags on the tube to Victoria and then a train. A major 'faff'!

Excellent outcome! ^
I believe specifically for LHR, CD is covered anywhere inside the M25
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:28 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by Zol
I believe specifically for LHR, CD is covered anywhere inside the M25
Yes, indeed ‘all Greater London postcodes’ (which translates more or less to ‘inside the M25’) is specifically mentioned for LHR and LGW. But these are all FAR less than 70 miles. (mine is a CT1 postcode)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:52 pm

Not sure if it's been posted earlier, but found out today that:

Since the 1st of April 2019 , the maximum distance allowed for Sydney chauffeur is 80 driven kilometres
This is a doubling of the previous range. No more having the driver drop me off at a relative's house half way between home.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:59 pm

Booked using JAL miles for EK first class. Tried to see if I could get driver in Dubai airport, got declined because the First class was booked using JAL miles.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:20 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by flybie
Booked using JAL miles for EK first class. Tried to see if I could get driver in Dubai airport, got declined because the First class was booked using JAL miles.
Since March 1, award bookings do no longer qualify for CD, whether they are Skywards or partner miles. Same for Y to J upgrades.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:35 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold

Since March 1, award bookings do no longer qualify for CD, whether they are Skywards or partner miles. Same for Y to J upgrades.
Partner award bookings didn't qualify long before that, already

Last edited by skywardhunter; Apr 14, 2019 at 1:46 am
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Partner award bookings didn't qualify long before that, already
FTFY
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
FTFY
Ah yes thanks
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Ah yes thanks

Yes, indeed ‘all Greater London postcodes’ (which translates more or less to ‘inside the M25’) is specifically mentioned for LHR and LGW. But these are all FAR less than 70 miles. (mine is a CT1 postcode)
It is definitely 70 mile radius. 18 months ago I took a CD from Swindon to LHR, and when the booking was being confirmed, I was told Swindon was just inside the 70 mile radius and there would be no charge for the journey
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas
It is definitely 70 mile radius. 18 months ago I took a CD from Swindon to LHR, and when the booking was being confirmed, I was told Swindon was just inside the 70 mile radius and there would be no charge for the journey
i thought they were on the metic system on that side of the pond?

TD
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

i thought they were on the metic system on that side of the pond?

TD
The UK is the one place other than the US that doesn't seem to understand how to count in a logical manner. I think the UK is technically semi-metric, but they use miles for distances and speed, and stone for weight, though this may be colloquial, not sure if it's the legal standard unit
BadoRas and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
The UK is the one place other than the US that doesn't seem to understand how to count in a logical manner. I think the UK is technically semi-metric, but they use miles for distances and speed, and stone for weight, though this may be colloquial, not sure if it's the legal standard unit
Like their Brexit deliberations, they insist on wanting a bit of both. With no clear outcome in sight!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Anyone flown to/from CDG recently in F ?
Which car(s) have you had ?
And yes I've read the wiki, just wondering what the latest is.
Cheers
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Glad to hear Brunel are finally off the contract in SYD and BNE. Some of the worst CDs I've had. Not all of them are bad, but terrible working conditions for drivers leading to lower quality product, drivers getting lost, drivers soliciting tips and a general lack of professionalism.

Would love to see some more of the network up to LHR standards. Still can't be beaten across the network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.