Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old May 23, 19, 7:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Saltire74
Wiki Link
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 18, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Emirates Skywards Plat , SAA Voyager Silver.
Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
I thought I should share a conversation I had with my CD driver on the way to CPT the other day.
We were discussing his workload and he mentioned that they sometimes get 'walkups', meaning passengers who qualify for CD (J or F ticket) but have not booked a car. There sometimes are 'spare' cars available, especially (according to him) when 2 (or even 3) passengers going to the same hotel have booked separate cars but agree / decide to share a car. The CD supervisor will in that case confirm eligibility and allocate a car (only if available of course). This was news to me. I wonder how eligibility is checked, just the BP would not necessarily be sufficient (e.g. Y-> J op-ups, email upgrade offers etc).

Has anyone got any experience with this? It is obviously completely out of the 48-hour rule..
The CD provider in CPT is Bidvest.
Interesting, can not say i have experienced this first hand or tried it, but seems from other experience that Bidvest are pretty chill and flexible when it comes to these things...
Old Feb 7, 18, 7:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
I thought I should share a conversation I had with my CD driver on the way to CPT the other day.
We were discussing his workload and he mentioned that they sometimes get 'walkups', meaning passengers who qualify for CD (J or F ticket) but have not booked a car. There sometimes are 'spare' cars available, especially (according to him) when 2 (or even 3) passengers going to the same hotel have booked separate cars but agree / decide to share a car. The CD supervisor will in that case confirm eligibility and allocate a car (only if available of course). This was news to me. I wonder how eligibility is checked, just the BP would not necessarily be sufficient (e.g. Y-> J op-ups, email upgrade offers etc).

Has anyone got any experience with this? It is obviously completely out of the 48-hour rule..
My uneducated guess would be liaison with the station manager or representative as they'd need EK to confirm that they'll pay Bidvest for it
Old Feb 7, 18, 7:40 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR

I have heard a similar story at JNB, where Bidvest is also the CD provider. Guess if the CD has been confirmed for a pax that isn't then going to use it but re-allocated to another one (based on BP?), that's actually better than Bidvest taking the money off EK (for the "no show") and not actually providing any CD at all?

I have found Bidvest very efficient and professional, easy to deal with. Though the allocation of cars can be a wee bit random. C-class, E-class, Kombi etc. I've had it all in both J and F.
Old Feb 7, 18, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by XXTSGR View Post

I have heard a similar story at JNB, where Bidvest is also the CD provider. Guess if the CD has been confirmed for a pax that isn't then going to use it but re-allocated to another one (based on BP?), that's actually better than Bidvest taking the money off EK (for the "no show") and not actually providing any CD at all?

I have found Bidvest very efficient and professional, easy to deal with. Though the allocation of cars can be a wee bit random. C-class, E-class, Kombi etc. I've had it all in both J and F.
Off-topic but anyone interested in corporates should look at Bidvest. It's a fascinating company, probably one of the most diversified companies in the world. They do air cargo, toiletries, car rentals, financial services, property, etc etc etc
Flame3601 and XXTSGR like this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:11 am

Can CD service be booked to Macau from HK ?
(Update- No it can't)

Last edited by Flame3601; Feb 13, 18 at 7:05 am
Old Feb 13, 18, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post
Can CD service be booked to Macau from HK ?
(Update- No it can't)
​​​​​​At least not before the bridge linking them is built !
Old Feb 14, 18, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ElJudioErrante View Post
​​​​​​At least not before the bridge linking them is built !
Yeah, will get CD to HK port in central then TurboJet to Macau Outerport. Just fancy seeing a bit of Macau this time, next time Shenzhen. Very decent rates for Four Seasons and St Regis in Macau/Shenzhen.
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601 View Post

Yeah, will get CD to HK port in central then TurboJet to Macau Outerport. Just fancy seeing a bit of Macau this time, next time Shenzhen. Very decent rates for Four Seasons and St Regis in Macau/Shenzhen.
Bit of a waste of time, you can get a ferry from HKG airside to Macau, without entering HKG, not sure how it works in terms of luggage though. I've done this in reverse, Macau ferry to HKG where you arrive already airside and they have a check-in counter at the pier at HKG. Keep in mind that you officially exit HKG and enter Macau as they're separate SARs.
Old Feb 14, 18, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter View Post
Bit of a waste of time, you can get a ferry from HKG airside to Macau, without entering HKG, not sure how it works in terms of luggage though. I've done this in reverse, Macau ferry to HKG where you arrive already airside and they have a check-in counter at the pier at HKG. Keep in mind that you officially exit HKG and enter Macau as they're separate SARs.
Looked into this option, however no boats run at 1am haha from the Skypier ( HKG)- so avoid EK380 as you will have to be like me and go into HK. Additionally I have a lot of time to kill when checking out at 4pm, so the longer the journey the better when leaving.

Plus i wouldn't miss those old Merc S classes for the world that EK sends in HK.
Old Feb 14, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus

I once had a CD canceled because it was 'outside the range'. I won't get into that but essentially showed up without being notified of the cancelation and was not on the CD list. They made me run upstairs to check in where they then figured out what happened to my reservation and were able to arrange an extra car. I suppose the same could happen at other outstations where they work with their other staff working checkin to figure out who is eligible. All said, it was a terrible experience and a real time waster.
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by vytas315 View Post
I once had a CD canceled because it was 'outside the range'. I won't get into that but essentially showed up without being notified of the cancelation and was not on the CD list. They made me run upstairs to check in where they then figured out what happened to my reservation and were able to arrange an extra car. I suppose the same could happen at other outstations where they work with their other staff working checkin to figure out who is eligible. All said, it was a terrible experience and a real time waster.
Was this in Cape Town or somewhere else ?
Old Feb 15, 18, 11:40 pm

How much of the DXB fleet for F class has changed to the S-Class? I'll be landing tomorrow morning and wanted to get a sense of what to expect.

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 18, 2:32 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Was this in Cape Town or somewhere else ?
IAD. They are confused about the whole radius vs. miles driven thing. Sometimes works and then other times you get a surprise cancelation...unannounced. So now I just have them drive me to a train station close to home and get picked up from there
Old Feb 17, 18, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by stargold View Post
How much of the DXB fleet for F class has changed to the S-Class? I'll be landing tomorrow morning and wanted to get a sense of what to expect.

Cheers
To answer my own question, I couldn't see a single S class in the entire CD area upon arrival - only the E classes and the 5 series (and a handful of Volvos dotted around).
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 10:22 pm

Has anyone had any luck with EK providing chauffeur service for F passengers in Guangzhou? If not, which car service do you recommend?

Search this Thread