Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Saltire74
Changes to the CD Terms and Conditions in early January 2019 confirm the following:

Effective 1 March 2019, new Chauffeur-drive service reservations are not available in conjunction with Skywards Business and First Class Classic Rewards and Economy to Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...nd-conditions/
Print Wikipost

EK Chauffeur Drive Discussion Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I'm aware of the need to match vehicle types in relation to luggage quantity ; but other than that (and speaking personally), I wouldn't feel comfortable troubling a CD supplier with a request for a specific car - if only because I imagine they have enough on their plate already sorting out their various commitments and scheduling etc etc.

Mind you, I'm often half asleep when the car arrives to pick me up and can't honestly say I'd be bothered if they came in a lorry - as long as I get to where I need to be in good time ^
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
I'm aware of the need to match vehicle types in relation to luggage quantity ; but other than that (and speaking personally), I wouldn't feel comfortable troubling a CD supplier with a request for a specific car - if only because I imagine they have enough on their plate already sorting out their various commitments and scheduling etc etc.

Mind you, I'm often half asleep when the car arrives to pick me up and can't honestly say I'd be bothered if they came in a lorry - as long as I get to where I need to be in good time ^
Pot luck can be fun in some cities - there's a young guy in Beijing who drives for Uber for fun and picks you up in a Maserati.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Pot luck can be fun in some cities - there's a young guy in Beijing who drives for Uber for fun and picks you up in a Maserati.

Good stuff - and I would welcome that

But my general point was that - given most of my CD journeys in recent years have lasted only around 30/45 mins - I think life's too short to worry myself about specific car models ; any more than I would worry about aircraft type for a 30/45 minute flight sector !

Have never had anything other than a totally satisfactory car - and indeed driver - anyway.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:24 am

Good stuff - and I would welcome that

But my general point was that - given most of my CD journeys in recent years have lasted only around 30/45 mins - I think life's too short to worry myself about specific car models ; any more than I would worry about aircraft type for a 30/45 minute flight sector !

Have never had anything other than a totally satisfactory car - and indeed driver - anyway.
I agree - as long as you get me there, the aircon is working and I don't have to engage with a 45 minute rant about the State of the World then i am happy
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys if you have a confirmed chauffeur reservation are you able to call up a few days before and request a car ?

It says (on this thread) for MEL that the cars are Holden Caprice or BMW 7-series or Mercedes Viano but last time I got a Chrysler 300C and want to avoid a repeat of that.

Cheers
Is it a brand issue ? (image not matching your status )
Or a practical issue ?

If it is a baggage issue, call Emirates to inform them that you have a lots of them.
As for me, I write a message in the address ! Usually, it is either
"please call if late" or "4 large suite-cases". And it works perfectly.

Concerning the "please call if late" : once, CD arrived 10 minutes late, while they usually show up 15min in advance. I understand traffic issues, but I didn't appreciate that he didn't call. The chauffeur said, that, EK doesn't give the pax tel number for confidentiality issues. That's total B..S..., as 1) he could have called EK, to inform me, 2) the other chauffeurs always called me upon arrival.
Anyway, to close any debate, I decided to put this note each time.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:35 am

+ 1 eternal

ioto : good advice re calling re baggage, and notes in MMB re any delay ^
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

I'm taking skis to Japan and not sure how they will fit in the cars they use there...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:13 am

Well....I did mention lorries*....

(*guess they're called trucks these days .....)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
ioto : good advice re calling re baggage, and notes in MMB re any delay ^
Yep. Sometimes it's heartbreaking to ride a Viano instead of a S-class/A8.
But I wear sunglasses so that nobody sees me in a lorry
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:32 am

Sounds like you have your priorities right ioto, and I know you're a definite FT.

Each to their own, but I simply can't imagine obsessing over whether it's a Merc/Audi/Beemer/Chrysler ....whatever .....that takes me to/from an airport.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Is it a brand issue ? (image not matching your status )
Or a practical issue ?
Good question. I just looked up pics for the Chrysler 300C as I'd never heard of it before. Seems standard enough fare for EK cars.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Good question. I just looked up pics for the Chrysler 300C as I'd never heard of it before. Seems standard enough fare for EK cars.
Some people seem to be very picky about cars it must be said - I was talking to an outstation the other day about weird pax and she recently had an F pax who absolutely point blank refused to take the Mercedes provided by the chauffeur company because "it is the same as Business class". After a lot of argument, they arranged something for him and he was extremely happy - it was a very smart Toyota Camry...(I am pretty sure they went to one of the airport taxi operators and just hired it for him!)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Some people seem to be very picky about cars it must be said - I was talking to an outstation the other day about weird pax and she recently had an F pax who absolutely point blank refused to take the Mercedes provided by the chauffeur company because "it is the same as Business class". After a lot of argument, they arranged something for him and he was extremely happy - it was a very smart Toyota Camry...(I am pretty sure they went to one of the airport taxi operators and just hired it for him!)
At MAN it makes no difference. The CD has a form and it says in bold FIRST Class next to F names but the car is whoever the driver is on that day. In some places eg BKK I know F pax get a better car. One thing I don't actaully care about.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:55 am

After a lot of argument, they arranged something for him and he was extremely happy - it was a very smart Toyota Camry...(I am pretty sure they went to one of the airport taxi operators and just hired it for him!)
Love it ! That would be so funny if they really did simply 'hire' a taxi for him.

"We made sure to get your very favourite, special blend whiskey in stock for you" said the hotel head barman ...... (which we just bought round the corner from the local Aldi/Lidl ......)
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Am similarly intrigued as to the reason.

Got picked up in one a while back in SYD. It's known (by some car aficionados apparently) as a Bentley-lookalike. Either way, spacious and a very comfy ride.

Perhaps the issue is that it's NOT a Bentley

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.